Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

If you could collect one hockey set, what would it be?

I know, hockey isn't at the top of everyone's list. But, for the guys that follow hockey cards, what is THE set to collect?

Comments

• The classic 1954-55 Tops set.
  • cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    81 O-Pee-Chee
    Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

The one with the naked chicks in it ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • I guess you know what my answer is.
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Count me as another for the 1971-72 set.

Image from the web.

• I love my 1970 Topps hockey set. Very colourful set and has 2 of my fav hockey players. Gil Perreault and Brad Park rookies. Yes there are bigger names but these 2 were great !!
    The older sets are great but most of us never had the pleasure of seeing them play hockey. The ultimate set is the 1952 Parkhurst set. Very colourful and has to be the hardest set in the 50's to put together except for the Quaker oates. But any set in the 70's is more cost efficient but the difficulty of finding centered nm/mint cards are still a struggle.
    I would have to say the 1952 set would be my first choice but the 1970 set would be my second choice.
    Cheers, Steve
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    1953 Parkhurst
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I hadn't heard of hockey before, so I googled it and found these photos. What year cards would they be? image

• I built a set of 71s raw one time, but lost it when my house was broke into. But these days the cartoony look of that year just doesn't do it for me. Having said that, they were the cards that really put the hook in me for collecting.

I've been working on a set of 73s, I like the more serious look to them. They are short of any notable RCs, but they do include the first figt card... I think it's the first.

I'd love to start another set of the 51 Parkies... but I'm a coward. image
  • jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    1954 Topps!
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1968-69 -- very difficult to find centered. I'd do the OPC.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • 54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Without a doubt its 1954 topps for me.

• << <i>1953 Parkhurst
    >>

Those are cool.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    1990 Pro set.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Any set with Bill Quackenbush in it.

• << <i>Without a doubt its 1954 topps for me.

image >>

Great set image
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    My favorites seem to have been covered, but my top five (or 10) hockey sets of all-time:

1. 1954-55 Topps
    2. 1971-72 OPC
    3. 1951-52 Parkhurst
    4. 1955-56 Parkhurst Quaker Oats
    5. 1963-64 Parkhurst

Honorable Mention: 1984-85 OPC, 1966-67 Topps USA Test, 1990-91 OPC Premier,1980-81 OPC (if for nothing else but the Olympic subset) and 1957-58 Topps
  • TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    1972/73 O Pee Chee
  • TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    1972-73 O Pee Chee
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1-54 Topps... One of the BEST looking sportscard issues ever IMO and I hate Hockey.
    #2-53 Parkhurst..Another great looking Vintage set.
  • Always been partial to the 77-78 OPC set myself. No Gretzky, but it makes it more affordable.
    And the design brings me back to my youth.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I also am not a hockey collector but am seriously considering putting together a '54-'55 Topps set. I think they are one of the nicest looking sets of any sport.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    So many choices but to pick one it's a toss up between '54 Topps and '55 Parkhurst. The Topps is much more beautiful and has the Howe but I love the classically Canadian composition of the '55 Parkhurst set: only Leafs and Canadiens. It also has, in my opinion, the best looking Maurice Richard card out of all of his.
  • JNguyenJNguyen Posts: 69 ✭✭
    1911-12 C55. They represent the earliest years of organized hockey in North America. Artistic, elegant, the equivalent of the T206's in hockey. Many of the greats of the game depicted in their prime.
  • 1983 Donruss
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    '66-67 Topps. Hell, I'd trade every single card I own for a PSA 9 Bobby Orr rookie.

<< <i>71-72 Topps is great looking >>

Yes, it is. image

<< <i>I built a set of 71s raw one time, but lost it when my house was broke into. But these days the cartoony look of that year just doesn't do it for me. Having said that, they were the cards that really put the hook in me for collecting.

I've been working on a set of 73s, I like the more serious look to them. They are short of any notable RCs, but they do include the first figt card... I think it's the first.

I'd love to start another set of the 51 Parkies... but I'm a coward. image >>

One of the most colorful sets ever. Super tough to find in nice condition too.

• 1. 1964-65 Topps tall boys
    2. 1954-55 Topps
    3. 1972-73 Topps (72 was the year I really started collecting).

• 1954 is nice looking set.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
    Almost forgot. Honorable mention also goes to the '79-80 Topps/OPC, and not just because it's the "Gretzky" set. The blue borders are really nice looking and mint specimens are especially nice since they're so hard to come by. This set also marks the last "true" cards of Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe.
  • Agree with these three sets:

1. 1954 topps
    2. 1971-72 (but the O-Pee-Chee set contains more star cards than the topps - plus the LaFleur rookie)
    3. C55

I am just beginning to collect a subset of 500 goal scorer autograph cards ... (all are Hall of Famers) - there are currently 41 - I only have 5 so far.

If anyone has any UD Epic or Inkredible autos, I'll trade baseball or football for them.
  • 72-73 Topps (my first hockey cards)
    and the often mentioned 54 Topps.
  • OPC is the best for me... Vintage years (68-72) are great, I also love 73 and 75. They are all candy to me.

68 in first place for its difficulty,
    scnd: 69 difficulty and design I love the hockey and the puck !
    71 in third, real candy !!!
    72 in frth: for the three series, gold design and WHA.
    1973 in ffth: for the colors, light and dark versions,
    sxt: 75 for the big puck !
    and ... 70, simply because it is vintage !
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I built a set of 71s raw one time, but lost it when my house was broke into. But these days the cartoony look of that year just doesn't do it for me. Having said that, they were the cards that really put the hook in me for collecting.

I'd love to start another set of the 51 Parkies... but I'm a coward. image >>

One of the most colorful sets ever. Super tough to find in nice condition too.

image >>

These were the first hockey cards I ever bought as a kid. But my favorite set that I could afford to collect would be the 85-85 Topps set. Just love the design. I think the set to collect, money aside, would be the 54-55 Topps set.

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    79-80
  • I would go with 54 topps
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭
    Guess it all depends on how much $$ you'd like to spend and what quality cards you'd like. Graded? Raw?
    And whther you'd like a good rookie crop, or star power. Also depends on the era you're looking at. No sense in doing a C56 if you have no idea who the players were.
    If you are looking newer, 1990 OPC Premier is easily obtained in PSA 10, for 1K or under, and the rookie crop is very nice.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 1954 Topps set.

But I wonder, did someone (either Sawchuk or someone with Topps), have something else in mind in designing this card?

Notice how "erect" the "T" is in his facsimile autographimageimage

Steve

• << <i>So many choices but to pick one it's a toss up between '54 Topps and '55 Parkhurst. The Topps is much more beautiful and has the Howe but I love the classically Canadian composition of the '55 Parkhurst set: only Leafs and Canadiens. It also has, in my opinion, the best looking Maurice Richard card out of all of his. >>

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I love the old classic sets, but since I grew up collecting as a kid in the 70's and 80's, I would tend to go in the direction of my youth. I love the 73-74, 77-78, and 82-83 OPC's.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • scooperqprscooperqpr Posts: 438 ✭✭
    Which set has Goldie Goldthorpe in it/ Anyone know?
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    1954 topps
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    What's Hockey?

<< <i>The classic 1954-55 Tops set. >>

• aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Pre-War - C56
    1950's - 1954 Topps
    1960's - 1963 Parkhurst
    1970's - 1974 OPC
    1980's - 1984 OPC
  • Love the 71-72 OPC
  • I'd have to say my favorite is 90-91 OPC Premier. THE set of the 90's and one of the all time best sets in my opinion. The RC crop is outstanding. The photo's are great and it's loaded with HOFers. It's also a smaller set so it's much more managable. Besides that set, I would have to say 82-83 OPC. Another great looking set with some great photos and another strong RC crop. If you want to go vintage, then 1953 Parkhurst, hands down!
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%