Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Gafline Garvey

I'm not sure if this is rare, but in several years of searching, mine is the only copy I have ever seen. Had PSA been willing to holder it, I would have gladly submitted it to them, but SGC was the only taker, so here it is. I have waited years for one of the top-tier grading companies to accept this card. What a relief!

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Is it cellophane? Neat item.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen or heard of it before. Very cool, I love that kind of stuff.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    whats the story behind it?
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind comments. It's actually made of the exact same material as microfiche sheets. It's transparent and very thin, so SGC had to make a custom sleeve for it.

I found it raw on eBay several years ago and have kept it in my closet, in a box, in a small envelope, between two pieces of cardboard for a long time. Having asked and been turned down by all the top-tier graders, SGC finally relented, and there ya go.

Yay!
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    1st one ive ever seen, what size is it???????
  • Options
    I would estimate 11 x 18 cm. I'm not at home right now, so I don't have the card in front of me.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would estimate 11 x 18 cm. I'm not at home right now, so I don't have the card in front of me. >>

You must be from Canada??image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would estimate 11 x 18 cm. I'm not at home right now, so I don't have the card in front of me. >>

You must be from Canada??image >>

Actually, I was at work trying to mentally measure my memory of the card against a plastic ruler, and the "inches" side had pretty much worn off, so I used cm. I am from Oklahoma. But thanks, eh.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Not going to let it go cheap, but here is one for sale for possibly the first time in a decade or more????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322623834112?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 5:24PM

Never mind

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Saw the listing on ebay. Good luck with the sale. Very tough to put a price on it since there is no history.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Did you get it crossed over to PSA? A photo of a SGC graded copy is what brought me here, but I see PSA has 1 graded copy and I believe you shared a PSA copy on another site not that long ago.

@stevegarveyfan said:
    I'm not sure if this is rare, but in several years of searching, mine is the only copy I have ever seen. Had PSA been willing to holder it, I would have gladly submitted it to them, but SGC was the only taker, so here it is. I have waited years for one of the top-tier grading companies to accept this card. What a relief!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.