Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Why not Pedigree "Low ball" sets?

There are definitely preminums paid for certified P0 coins, so why not pedigree them?

I wouldn't be surprised if PCGS offers this soon really.

As an aside, the first lowball set was owned by "braddick" back in 2002 and PCGS made him take it down because his set was, "a mockery of the Registry".

Funny how times change.

PCGS should ALWAYS try to pump up the hobby!

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As an aside, the first lowball set was owned by "braddick" back in 2002 and PCGS made him take it down because his set was, "a mockery of the Registry". >>

Really?

IMO, some coins are extremely difficult to get in low ball grades. Take IKEs for instance. They simply never circulated so examples below XF-45 are very difficult to find and even when you do find one, you then have to look for body baggable damage.

Not every series has good lowball candidates.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    COLORFULCOINS is the master of the low ball...in fact, even when he buys MS coins, most of us would consider them to be "LOWBALL" image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 Morgan sets that I'd get Pedigreed if they'd let me.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With PCGS looking for more revenue generating opportunities I see Pedigrees as still limited even under their old standard which was you had to be at least 90% complete and in the top 5. You would have to take all the top 5 sets of all the series and then subtract those who would not do it because of the cost, or the vanity, to determine the financial success/feasibility of PCGS pedigreeing low ball sets. Too bad they did raise the standard, lets hope they drop it soon for those who would partake.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    If they let lowball sets pedigree, they just may as well allow anyone to buy a pedigree for any coin. I understand the reason why people would want to do low ball sets, but I think it would throw the credibility of the other pedigrees out the window.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Dan
  • Options
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As an aside, the first lowball set was owned by "braddick" back in 2002 and PCGS made him take it down because his set was, "a mockery of the Registry". >>

Really?

IMO, some coins are extremely difficult to get in low ball grades. Take IKEs for instance. They simply never circulated so examples below XF-45 are very difficult to find and even when you do find one, you then have to look for body baggable damage.

Not every series has good lowball candidates. >>

peacockcoins

• Options
    If they do this, then the Olympics should immediately create an event to see who could whisper the loudest.
  • Options

<< <i>If they do this, then the Olympics should immediately create an event to see who could whisper the loudest. >>

Um, you mean sort of like "speed walking"? Which is an Olympic sport.
  • Options
    Bingo!
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << Why not Pedigree "Low ball" sets? >>

Because it seems like that would be a silly thing to do; you can artificially manufacture (through owner wear) a low ball coin you cannot artificially manufacturer a high ball coin.
  • Options

<< <i><< Why not Pedigree "Low ball" sets? >>

Because it seems like that would be a silly thing to do; you can artificially manufacture (through owner wear) a low ball coin you cannot artificially manufacturer a high ball coin. >>

Untrue.

Ways to manufacture a high end coin:
    1. Resubmission. See numerous threads.
    2. Cleaning/dipping/etc. This is generally caught by PCGS, but there are definitely cleaning techniques they do not catch.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I almost canned my lowball morgan set because PCGS wouldn't pedigree it! 95% of the coins in that set I submitted from RAW coins I came across. You know, if PCGS pedigreed the 97 coins and charged $5 for every replacement I added they would be ahead of the game in a year! Every order I submit I get one or two from the AG03 to a FR02... If the set was pedigreed I would be sending the new ones in for the tag.

Oh well, we all know PCGS really only cares about the submissions and the low ball registry was made for us nuts to have a reason to submit our low ball coins.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given a little more time I believe PCGS will favorably change their mind.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Given a little more time I believe PCGS will favorably change their mind. >>

I think you are right. I like the direction Mr. Willis has taken so far.

Granted, I don't collect or desire certification for error coins...
  • Options
    TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    Just curious.... What are the odds that the G04 and AG3 Ikes got that way through actual circulation?
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    I guess the best way to get "Low Ball" coins is to carry them in your pockets all of time.

How long would it take a unc IKE to get down to a 3 grade or lower?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Really?

Not every series has good lowball candidates. >>

image >>

Ok, so you have two. Can you find the other 21?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>If they let lowball sets pedigree, they just may as well allow anyone to buy a pedigree for any coin. I understand the reason why people would want to do low ball sets, but I think it would throw the credibility of the other pedigrees out the window. >>

Can't a "pedigree" be added to any set thats in the "Top 5" for the year before its retired?

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I guess the best way to get "Low Ball" coins is to carry them in your pockets all of time.

How long would it take a unc IKE to get down to a 3 grade or lower? >>

Years Jim. Getting them out of AU status takes better than a year of playing pocket jingle with them.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Just curious.... What are the odds that the G04 and AG3 Ikes got that way through actual circulation? >>

Huge! Many folks carried them as their own private pocket pieces. I know of one fellow back in Colorado that showed me his and he said he's been carry it for 20 or more years! I expect that a lot of Morgans achieved that level of wear in the same manner simply because they just didn;t circulate that much.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People of all walks of life carry pocketpieces. Ask a serviceman if he has one. Many did and still do.
  • Options
    I am looking for a 1892-P PO01 coin. Have you ever seen or heard about such a coin? -MWH
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a FR02 92 Columbian and a PO01 93 Columbian. I just can't find the 92 to fit the PO01.
  • Options
    Maybe because PCGS, while loving the revenue, doesn't really take them seriously. image
  • Options
    Its a good question and one that has been asked on several occasions. I have done the next best thing and that is to have as many of my coins get CAC'd. Whenever I sell and or see a low ball coin that is CAC'd I can trace back the coin more than likely to one of my CAC submission(s). Check this set out. http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=75032 -MWH