Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help stop pack re-sealers (Rack and Celos)

I consider myself a fairly savvy individual when looking at wax packs, and being able to spot whether a pack as been resealed or altered in anyway. I am creating a book right now that points out what steps to look for when dealing with a questionable wax pack.

My question is, is it possible to reseal a rack pack without visual evidence of tampering? I would love to add this kind of info in my book. I have been asked many times in regards to racks and cellos. This way I can pass out my findings to all CU members. If there is a method and how to spot it. I would be very interested in finding out how it is done. This way I am more educated and I will look more thoroughly at a rack before I purchase it. Plus I can add the facts to my book as well.

If you could please PM me directly if you do know the way/ways these packs get resealed. You will be a huge help in educating CU’s members. Like I said if you could just please PM me any info instead of posting it to the thread. I would hate to see that kind of info in the wrong person’s hands.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would hate to see that kind of info in the wrong person’s hands. >>

So you've figured out a way to make sure your book only ends up in the right people's hands?

Pandora, meet box. image
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Information is power... so if everyone knows what to look for than I don't see what the problem is with jswieton's project.
  • Options
    Why is he writting a book on something he isn't well versed on? If I want to write a book on nuclear reactors, I dont go to a geeky physics chat board and ask guys to PM me about fission. (although we're all pretty geeky here ourselves)

Like shoulda said above, he publishes a book on how what to look for, and its the starting point for alot of bad people. They know what we look for, they come up with new ways around it to go un-noticed.

Some things are just better left un-published image
  • Options

<< <i>Why is he writting a book on something he isn't well versed on? If I want to write a book on nuclear reactors, I dont go to a geeky physics chat board and ask guys to PM me about fission. (although we're all pretty geeky here ourselves)

Like shoulda said above, he publishes a book on how what to look for, and its the starting point for alot of bad people. They know what we look for, they come up with new ways around it to go un-noticed.

Some things are just better left un-published image >>

Let's be real Nuclear reactions and sports cards are not in the same league (and yes I know you were kidding).

jswieton did say he's "savvy individual when looking at wax packs", he was asking if anyone would like to contribute information about racks and cellos. Let's face it if you are buying old packs of anything there is always a risk of getting a bad pack. To me all old packs are buyer beware.
  • Options
    I could be wrong, but it almost sounds like your fishing for information on how to expertly do it. I would think that if you intend to write a book on the subject you would already have detailed knowledge on how to reseal.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(although we're all pretty geeky here ourselves) >>

Speak for yourself...I only won 2nd Prize in the Science Fair...
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>I could be wrong, but it almost sounds like you fishing for information on how to expertly do it. I would think that if you intend to write a book on the subject you would already have detailed knowledge on how to reseal. >>

A fellow Bears fan would never be a pack scammer

boy you guys are extra paranoid today – please be on the hunt for the black helicopters today!image
  • Options

<< <i>I could be wrong, but it almost sounds like your fishing for information on how to expertly do it. I would think that if you intend to write a book on the subject you would already have detailed knowledge on how to reseal. >>

You are wrong. He's not fishing, just looking for additional information.
  • Options
  • Options
    A more helpful book would be one showing you the tell-tale signs of a correctly sealed pack, not showing you how to expertly reseal packs for yourself. It's just a suspicious angle in my opinion.
  • Options
    Maybe just contact the sellers on the bay who reseal. I would think that would be a good place to start to get info on how it is done or not done.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    The more knowledge pack buyers have, the better it is for the industry. If PSA were to come out with such a book or pamphlet, they might find that more people get interested in the hobby of pack collecting. It could help their sales.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    he, he - Mike said box.
  • Options

<< <i> You are wrong. He's not fishing, just looking for additional information. >>

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    The best arms-length way to fight these crooks is to:

1. Flood www.ic3.gov with written complaints.

2. File written complaints with the white-collar crime unit of the FBI in San Francisco.

3. File written complaints with the PDs in the crooks' hometown.

4. File written complaints with the USPS. (The mere listing of a resealed pack on EBAY
    constitutes mail-fraud, under the relevant statutes.)

The best hands-on way to combat the criminals is to:

1. Hit their listings hard with $1,000,000 bids.

2. Complain to EBAY everyday.

3. Start threads on BBs.

4. Start a WordPress blog and control page-one of google search results.

5. Contact EVERY customer of the crooks.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    and remember.....only YOU can prevent forest fires.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I would say storm has it all covered. Add to that just be smart where and when you buy and all should be OK. The odds are never going to be zero against a resealed pack, but you can certainly reduce the chance by being overly critical and cautious.
  • Options
    If the rack is too short lengthwise or the cellophane appears to be thinner/thicker or clarity or feel is different than normal...stay away.

That's all I can suggest.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is he writting a book on something he isn't well versed on? If I want to write a book on nuclear reactors, I dont go to a geeky physics chat board and ask guys to PM me about fission. (although we're all pretty geeky here ourselves)

image >>

Are you kidding me? How can you compare cards to nuclear fission? I am not trying to get anything professionally published either. I am trying to do something that can better the hobby and inform buyers from getting scammed.

Second, I have never even sold a pack of cards. So the people who think I am fishing for anything unethical I am more than happy to give you my eBay address so you can verify that I am not a pack seller. It is pretty sad that anytime someone tries to better the industry there are others out there that have suspicions of some sort of fraud.
  • Options
    I see what your saying but with any info, Collectors and scammers can use it to their advantage.

If I say.... Elmers Glue is often used to reseal wax packs, and look for a yellow residue. People who read this thread will now know what to look for. The scammers that dont post (Hi Gary) and others who stumble on this thread while serching for info will go pick up some Elmers Glue.

The Nuclear fission was just an example. The point was to write about what you know. How much do you know about wax/cello? When we spoke in Sept. you had limited knowledge.

If I wrote a FF book- It would rock.

If I wrote a unopened pack book it would not be as good as it could of been. It would not have enough info. Basically opinions of others I quickly obtained. I have been told numerous things about the FF and years later learned on my own were untrue. There's numerous things I still dont know as I'm still learning after 13 years of active collecting.

I appretiate your efforts to help better the hobby. Sadly, alot of info in this hobby can be used against us.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

Are you kidding me? How can you compare cards to nuclear fission? I am not trying to get anything professionally published either. I am trying to do something that can better the hobby and inform buyers from getting scammed.

Second, I have never even sold a pack of cards. So the people who think I am fishing for anything unethical I am more than happy to give you my eBay address so you can verify that I am not a pack seller. It is pretty sad that anytime someone tries to better the industry there are others out there that have suspicions of some sort of fraud. >>

Some people are just overly negative and are quick to jump all over someone... and it's very easy to accomplish this on a faceless message board. Good luck with you information gathering!
  • Options
    "...Good luck with you information gathering! .."

////////////////////////

Ditto.
  • Options
    dont get your panties in a bunch dude.

Alot of us have been scammed by resealed packs, or people like Gary doing big wax pack busts only to find out he bought wrappers and resealed a bunch of packs and sold them off.

this isnt a testament to your integrity, its just a cautious approach to anyone you dont know personally asking you information about a very touchy subject.

I think Im going to write a book on trimming cards, anyone with information on what to look for, please PM me image

• Options

<< <i>dont get your panties in a bunch dude.

Alot of us have been scammed by resealed packs, or people like Gary doing big wax pack busts only to find out he bought wrappers and resealed a bunch of packs and sold them off.

this isnt a testament to your integrity, its just a cautious approach to anyone you dont know personally asking you information about a very touchy subject.

I think Im going to write a book on trimming cards, anyone with information on what to look for, please PM me image >>

Your right it was the OP's master plan to post on the message board 475 times and then when we are all weak and have accepted him on his 476 post he begins to ask questions about resealing packs. Someone please alert the FBI now!
  • Options

<< <i>dont get your panties in a bunch dude.

I think Im going to write a book on trimming cards, anyone with information on what to look for, please PM me image >>

Joe,
    You need to ask PSA on that, they claim I do that with large portions of the 85 Football I sub. Evidently they know more about what I do, than I do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!imageimage

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I see what your saying but with any info, Collectors and scammers can use it to their advantage. q]

• Options
    I would rather have the info available to everyone and eduacate the collector because because there are always going to be scammers out there. The more informed and educated the buyer can be makes it harder for the scammer to peddle their s%$t.
  • Options
    eduacate ??

Your going to write a book but you can't spell educate correctly. image
  • Options
    The reason I don't like it because I really can't see it helping anyone but the resealers.

It's not like knowledge will help you if you buy resealed product from scammers on ebay. They'll just say you opened it, so no help there.

The only realistic places to buy it are from reputable dealers or from sellers that have it graded.

No doubt there are resealers out there watching this board and this thread, like stephanie.

It just doesn't make any sense to me???

• Options

<< <i>eduacate ??

Your going to write a book but you can't spell educate correctly. image >>

It's going to be a picture book.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    jswieton - Very sweet pic, I used to have a bumper sticker with that pic on it, It said "Hey, Iran"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>eduacate ??

image >>

:

imageimage
  • Options
    Well good luck with your bar... book, I mean't book.
  • Options
    Why don't you just put your information up on a website? Writing a book with a very limited target audience is going to cost you major capital since no publisher will take a flier on fronting printing costs on an item that is likely to sell very few copies. You will need to front all of the printing costs and then sell your book in your chosen venue. Plus, I am not sure how you would come up with a book's worth of material on pack resealing. Maybe a few pages, but definitely not a book.

J
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>eduacate ??

image >>

That, my friend, was hilarious.

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Why don't you just put your information up on a website? Writing a book with a very limited target audience is going to cost you major capital since no publisher will take a flier on fronting printing costs on an item that is likely to sell very few copies. You will need to front all of the printing costs and then sell your book in your chosen venue. Plus, I am not sure how you would come up with a book's worth of material on pack resealing. Maybe a few pages, but definitely not a book.

J
    >>

That's great advice. Do a blog on your site and on sites like squidoo about repacking, resealers and unauthorized packs and you will be amazed how many hits you can get. Google picks up blogs very well. You can do updates and list auctions and the latest sellers to stay away from.

Brian
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>eduacate ??

image >>

That, my friend, was hilarious. >>

I about busted a gut when I read that too ... so by all means, put me down for a book!
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    I wasn't really planning trying to get it published, I should have said "article" because that is what it is. So far it has descriptions with photos on what to look for. Putting it on a website is a good idea. I am not looking to sell it. I would like to have it available for free for all collectors to see. Maybe when I am done, Steve at BBCE or someone on here who has a card collecting site would be willing to attach a link from their site to the article.

I am just trying to educate the consumer. I have been burned many times in the past from opening a pack and finding gum and wax stains in the middle of the pack. I do not intend to include information on how the packs were re-sealed but more of what signs to look for when trying to determine whether a pack was re-sealed. I never expected so much controversy when I posted this thread. I guess I am not the only one to get burned because it seems like a sore subject.
  • Options
    I want to commend the author of this thread for his concern and enthusiasm regarding the epidemic of resealed wax and cello paks on ebay over the last year. For the last five years I have specialized in collecting unopened material and have spoken at length with esteemed individuals from this hobby such as Steve Hart, Mark Murphy and many others regarding counterfeit & resealed paks. I am also proud to state that Robert Edwards Auction House recently emailed me pictures of a '59 gai 9 baseball cello pak asking my opinion as to its authenticity--so I feel I can speak with at least a minimal degree of authority. With regards to rak paks yes they can be both counterfeited and resealed and they can be done very well indeed. "Mr. Mint" Al Rosen wrote a book back in the '80's and he specifically mentioned that they were individuals out there who where experts at opening and resealing rak paks--especially '80's Donruss rak paks. They would both remove star cards as well as add star cards (such as a Clemen's rookie) on the top of the rak to increase its value. And recently Steve Hart (head pak authenticator for PSA) mentioned PSA received a submission of counterfeit 1966 Topps baseball rak paks which were rejected. And when it comes to cello paks the counterfeiters are so good that Gai incorrectly authenticated a substantial amount of "homemade" 1970, 1971 & 1972 Topps baseball "grocery" cello paks a few years back. They made it past Gai but PSA is well aware of them that's why you don't see any in a PSA holder. In fact a bogus '74 bb Gai slabbed cello is on ebay right now thus giving evidence to the enormity of this problem. It is also known amongst us informed pak collectors that Gai also mistakingly authenticated dozens of bogus '58 Topps baseball cellos as well. These '58's routinely appear on ebay and people still pay big bucks for these pieces of junk. One ebay seller in particular from New Jersey will throw on ebay a bogus raw '58 from time to time to pad his bank account. One of these bogus gai slabbed '58's was recently consigned to REA but I contacted them and it was soon removed from the auction. It is my personal opinion that alot of the Gai slabbed baseball cellos from the mid to late 60's are bogus as well. I guess my point is that writing a book is all well and good but unfortunately many counterfeiters and resealers today are very sophisticated and a book won't help the everyday pak collector much. Even the very best and most experienced pak people in the hobby get fooled every now and then. And on the subject of pak counterfeiting what would you pak collectors out there think if I told you that the (most prolific) seller of vintage Gai slabbed wax paks on ebay is also the (most prolific) buyer on ebay of vintage wax wrappers--and would you be interested to know that he uses a DIFFERENT user ID to exclusively make his purchases of vintage wax wrappers!! Well its true. I've been watching him closely for months now and as an example when he wins a factory "roll" of 1977 topps baseball wax wrappers he will within a couple of months start listing on ebay dozens and dozens of freshly gai slabbed '77 wax paks. And these '77s are just the tip of the iceberg!! And while this seller is routinely listing vintage gai slabbed wax paks from all sports he is at the same time continuing to buy wax wrappers from the same years and sports. He also routinely buys numerous late '70's (non-sport) junk wax boxes such as "dukes of hazzard" in the $25 range which might suggest his needed source for the vintage pieces of gum. I obviouly can't prove any wrong doing here but I don't like what the overwhelming evidence is pointing to. So what I am trying to say is that there is much more counterfeiting and resealing going on on ebay (raw & graded) than we collectors would like to think so it behooves us to do our homework and educate ourselves as much as possible to make the best informed choices in our purchases!
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>eduacate ??

image >>

That, my friend, was hilarious. >>

I about busted a gut when I read that too ... so by all means, put me down for a book!
    image >>

hookded on foniks workd 4 mee
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    If you are writing a book, don't forget about the guys like this person. Description from his ebay listing,HOT PACK SECRETS REVEALED LOOK!! IT REALLY WORKS Ebay Linky

What scumbags!
  • Options

<< <i>If you are writing a book, don't forget about the guys like this person. Description from his ebay listing,HOT PACK SECRETS REVEALED LOOK!! IT REALLY WORKS Ebay Linky

What scumbags! >>

Even though I rarely buy modern packs I have actually purchased one of these “How to pack search” a few months back for the sole purpose of including information in my article on how you protect yourself from pack searchers when buying retail packs from mega stores like Wal-Mart and Target.
  • Options

<< <i>I wasn't really planning trying to get it published, I should have said "article" because that is what it is. So far it has descriptions with photos on what to look for. Putting it on a website is a good idea. I am not looking to sell it. I would like to have it available for free for all collectors to see. Maybe when I am done, Steve at BBCE or someone on here who has a card collecting site would be willing to attach a link from their site to the article.

I am just trying to educate the consumer. I have been burned many times in the past from opening a pack and finding gum and wax stains in the middle of the pack. I do not intend to include information on how the packs were re-sealed but more of what signs to look for when trying to determine whether a pack was re-sealed. I never expected so much controversy when I posted this thread. I guess I am not the only one to get burned because it seems like a sore subject. >>

I was burned by a scammer. Once. Only once. And if I ever go to South Africa, you can bet I will be looking for my 1.8 million. Or my $2000 deposit. image

I am slowly building a website about various Cardboard Scams. I am running into a few issues and once resolved, I would be interested in attatching a link or adding the information you have collected. I do however reserve the right to edit anything. One issue I am constantly addressing, is how to inform the collector with as little aid to the scammer as possible. I also feel it needs to be pushed out there to as many outlets as possible at once. Message Boards, Card Blogs, Print Ad etc. with the site not having any ads. Impossible to reach all the collectors, but hopefully enough to put a dent in the amount of scams. Gathering the info is the easy part. There are many great, knowledgable collectors. Trying to spread the word far enough is the hurdle.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I would definitely love to have you place the article on your site. I have no problem with you editing it as long as you run it by me first. I probably won't have it finished until the first of the year. I work on it in my spare time gathering information along the way.
  • Options

<< <i>I would definitely love to have you place the article on your site. I have no problem with you editing it as long as you run it by me first. I probably won't have it finished until the first of the year. I work on it in my spare time gathering information along the way. >>

Sounds great. Thanks !!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    The website/blog is the right solution.

As noted, google LOVES content-rich - lots of words and pictures - sites/blogs.

The domain for such sites should be registered "privately" at Network Solutions.
    This keeps all but legitimately harmed persons from cheaply/easily taking steps
    to close down the site.

I TOTALLY disagree with the notion that consumers are EVER protected by trying
    to "hide information from scamsters."

The contrary notion sort of reminds me of firearm-confiscation for the purpose of
    keeping honest folks "safe." Violent criminals will always have weapons and card-crooks
    will always have ALL of the information they need to run their enterprises.

It is critical to WIDELY distribute as much info as exists about pack-resealers to as
    many consumers as possible.

I also like the idea of selling hard-copies of the pages on EBAY for $1.00 delivered.
    The listing itself could be worded in a way to ring a LOUD bell; buyers of the pages
    could be directed to the website/blog.

The final solution largely rests with "forcing" EBAY to mandate that expensive packs
    can ONLY be listed if slabbed by a "real" TPG. EBAY must also halt the listing of empty
    wrappers; they stopped me from selling Coach and Tiffany wrapping paper and bags,
    so they could easily put an end to the resealers supply chain.

Currently, there are numerous scamsters selling empty Rolex boxes with ALL of the
    literature and warranty cards. Some are VERY well done, ALL are expensive, and MOST
    were made in Asia.
  • Options

<< <i>The final solution largely rests with "forcing" EBAY to mandate that expensive packs
    can ONLY be listed if slabbed by a "real" TPG. EBAY must also halt the listing of empty
    wrappers; they stopped me from selling Coach and Tiffany wrapping paper and bags,
    so they could easily put an end to the resealers supply chain. >>

That's exactly what I was thinking about on the cards and wrappers.

My wife used to sell some Tiffany and Coach items that were purchased from their actual stores and we listed them on ebay with great success until earlier this year. We listed them with factory tissues, boxes, bags and copies of our original Coach or Tiffany receipts and it still wasn't acceptable for eBay as they pulled our listings and kept our listing fees and it didn't change after our responses to ebay.

I wish Ebay took the wax pack cards more seriously. They should also have disclaimers for the mysterious Xmas rack packs like, "Warning, these packs were not issued by Topps and were packed by an unknown company"

...........and they should have disclaimers in regards to wax packs....."Warning, Many of the wax packs available today could have been searched and repacked. Purchasing either reputable graded packs or from reputable dealers and sellers can greatly reduce the risk."
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    A good place to start would be to have good high resolution scans or photos of known good packs. If you can compare good with bad in a way that is easy to see for people who don't normally collect packs and would be easily burned by scammers and resealers.

Feel free to use these if you want, they're good.

• Options
    "...If you can compare good with bad in a way that is easy to see for people who don't normally collect packs and would be easily burned by scammers and resealers. ..."

///////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

TONS of pics of the good stuff are critical to teaching newbies who are MOST likely to
    be stolen from.

Handling/touching the real stuff is the best way to learn, BUT that is not possible for
    most folks.

The contemplated site/manual should also feature the sundry potential recourse
    avenues that cheated buyers may have. These would include all relevant LE agencies.

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Objective points:

1. You had to be prepared to have your chops busted a bit. Your picture book reply was great!
    2. Why don't you contact Mark Murphy & Steve at BBCE first
    3. Go ahead and gather your info. Perhaps you could sell the article to a hobby publication
    4. I doubt your book will create more thiefs, just educate them on what not to do.
    5. With much of the stuff being sold without holding it in your hand (ebay/internet), I question how valuable it will be for prospective buyers.

Good Luck!
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik