Home Precious Metals
Options

Why the extreme difference in prices? - Morgan dollars.

I just made a phone call to the local coin shop, asking the price for generic circulated morgan dollars. They want $15 for 1921s, and $18 for earlier dates. That's a full 20% more for pre-1921s!

Now, are you going to tell me that a VF 1881-S is worth 20% more than a VF 1921?

Why such a difference?
To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Comments

• Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    The quick answer... because people will pay it.

Same reason why they sell 2008 ASEs for $18
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    1921 was by far the highest mintage. There were nearly 87,000,000 made from the 3 1921 mints. Most other years are about 15,000,000 or less.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Yep, it's all about the mintages....plus the 21s are ugly.image
    Becky
  • Options
    Many of the older years were melted down from '04 to '20 and that silver was used in the '21s.

The banks were instructed to ship them back to the mints in exchange for paper currency.

I have heard it said that there are more '21s than all other years combined, such was the survival rate of the older Morgan Dollars.

While I can't vouch for that, it wouldn't surprise me.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭

<< <i>Yep, it's all about the mintages....plus the 21s are ugly.image >>

image We should have contracted the Chinese to make them image
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    there's another reason... the 1921s are 20th century coins.

the earlier Morgans are from the 19th century... and that makes a difference. people think they are also getting a collectible.

if you want the silver content, 1921s are just fine, of course.

in fact, make a comparison of morgans vs peace dollars, and youll find a difference as well, with peace dollars selling for 1921 morgans.