Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some OBW's recently went off on Ebay, some thoughs and opinions if you please...

jjjt12 completed auctions

Many of the cents in with some pretty impressive end roll toners in (I assume) true OBW's went off at what I think are some pretty nice prices, many in the sub-$30 range. A nice '64 D roll went for $4.75, (I'd pay five bucks for that roll any day) while others (granted, an impressive toned coin) like the roll of '69's go for $122.50? A much fingerprinted but nice toned 1960-D goes at $22.50?

Also curious to me is the roll of 1955's at $70.00, wrapped in the wrong part of the country, so the chance of finding a DD are nil, another wishful thinker?.

But the one that REALLY gets me is the roll of "Tails-Tails" wheats that went for $169.00?

1. Did some shaprie peg this "older" type wrapper from a certain era?

2. or, just another wishful thinker "thinking, there may be an 1955 MS-70 DD in there? maybe the secret to what happened to Jimmy Hoffa is contained within?!?!"

3. or, Just one more example why P.T. Barnum was so right? (see #2)

One more question, kind of related, why does the Fed Reserve wrap "Pennies" and not "cents"?

Any thought appreciated....

Comments

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    People can be STUPID when it comes to 1955 bank wrapped cents. I have sold my share of "real bank wrapped" for insane prices. I have seen some 1955's that really looked like they were just wrapped sell for 100 plus dollars. I think the sleepers are the 1960 an up. Just bought over 1000 rolls of wrapped 60's thru 80's for face along with 40,000 mixed date BU cents in bags for face. The seller (a coin dealer) was just going to deposit them at his bank and thought they had to be rolled. LOL. I need to find more dealers like this.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    !! $900 in face value BU cents 60's and North for $900!!!

I'd be happy to drag away that sort of tonnage any day

Can I be your friend? image

edit: the 40k are BU, the rolled ones aren't?......still

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file