Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3 leg Buffalo fake?

The reverse does not show the tell-take signs that I have been told are true for a 3 legger (rear leg and pee stream). If it wasn't in a PCGS slab, what would you think? No accusations here, just curious. Link
There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe just to hard to see in the photo.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    It's real. One of the easiest ways to confirm a 3 - leg nickel
    on the reverse is to notice how the P and U are up off the
    bison's back while on a non-genuine nickel those letters
    will be almost touching the animal. That's one detail that
    wont be worn off by the time it gets to VF-30
    molon labe
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Forgot about that, thank you!
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once saw an unc three legger 1937-d in Cleveland Ohio that was altered but I could not figure out how. There was no indication of any leg removeal but the coin was obsiously not from the single die that we all know and love. I think the alteration may have been done by heating the coin and going into the rim and sucking out metal or somethinng. And there was no trace of that front leg. I wonder after all these years it if may have been real and from a different die. Maybe a grease fill strike thru? BUFFNIXX.
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    As a Buffalo wears, the diagnostics you mentioned also wear away or become less noticeable. The E Pluribus Unum then becomes your best identifier. Somewhere along the line, somebody found a nice coin and pulled it out of circulation.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file