Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ok *ERROR* U.S coin deemed grade 70 how can this be if it wasn't struck as all others.

Ok TT auction 2619 lot 3205. Here's my arguement. How can any coin be a perfect grade of 70 if it is not struck in all aspects of finish,stike,comparision of the others in that die run.

We know it is ICG on this one and I hope the leach doesn't come out and say that I am promoting ICG or disrespecting Pcgs for talking about this coin. So opinions on why or why not any coin not stuck as equal to the qualifications deem for that coin can be a 70.

I have seen other TPG doing the same and it puzzles me. Thanks.

Error means something is wrong with the coin correct.

Comments

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It depends on exactly what type of error it is, but the error part is generally disregarded and the part that was struck by the dies graded in the normal fashion.
    i.e. off-centers, die caps, clips, etc, grade the struck part & disregard the blank part. Being this creates loss of metal flow which results in weak strikes, of course the 70 grade is impossible.
    The 70 grade is impossible for any biz strike coin due to production methods. hahaha YaHa.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    For the coin you mention its fairly simple as it was coined with a proof die that did not receive the final proof treatment. Hence "Unfinished Proof Die". It is the same as its counterpart coins with the exception of that "W" mintmark which only appeared on the proof coins.

Coin Link
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The key definition of “70” is Sheldon’s – which is as the coin comes from the dies. It does not require a full strike or anything like that. (Naturally, Sheldon has more than one definition of “70.”)
  • Options
    I was elated when this error coin came back from NGC PF70UCAM. The error is a gouge in the die on the rump of the buffalo. Note that there is no break in the cameo.

Chris

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Is this the herniated bison variety?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    So I guess that makes this coin the "Perfect Mistake!"
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>So I guess that makes this coin the "Perfect Mistake!" >>

My thoughts exactly, OR..........time to sell that coin and get a car....
  • Options

<< <i>Is this the herniated bison variety? >>

I think it is more like "Don't let the horse kick you in the arse when you leave." variety.

Chris
  • Options

Zactly!

Chris
  • Options

<< <i>

My thoughts exactly, OR..........time to sell that coin and get a car.... >>

My original order was for 4 sets. I had ordered two for myself and two for a friend who didn't have an account with the Mint. Two of the sets had this error, and I felt it was only fair that I let my friend have one. A short time later, CW ran a story about this error. Another collector had ordered 10 (I think) sets and he gave the extras as gifts to relatives before he discovered the error. Supposedly, all of them had this error.

These 12 sets are the only ones that have ever been reported. I think I'll keep mine. I already have a car.

Chris

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file