Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hardwood PCGS Prestige display boxes--anyone use these, good, bad ???

I was just cleaning out my desk and also checking to see when my collectors club subscription would need to be renewed and noticed a flyer PCGS had placed in the Collectors Club info kit offering the hardwood 20 and 30 coin cherry wood finished boxes for sale.

Has anyone used these?

Have you checked to see if they affected your coins?

I really liked the way they looked, but was scared to get any because of thinking they could ruin coins.

What say you?
And I ain't lying this time.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the way I look at it:

anything worth putting in one of those nice display boxes is worth putting in a safe deposit box...so no nice display boxes for me
  • Options
    I'd rather spend the money on coins instead of the box
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anything worth putting in one of those nice display boxes is worth putting in a safe deposit box...so no nice display boxes for me

Exactly. Too bad the marketing department didn't talk to you before designing these boxes!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 2 of the 30 holder cherrywood boxes.

They are really nice but I have not put anythng in them yet.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    I bought 2 of the 30 holder cherrywood boxes.

Perhaps when your two pet hamsters pass into the next world?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    I never understood the idea of a "display" box which doesn't display the coins.

If I wanted to see the top edge of the slab, I'd use a blue box, but if I really wanted to display the coins, I'd want some kind of box that allows you to lay them flat and see them.
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I never understood the idea of a "display" box which doesn't display the coins.

If I wanted to see the top edge of the slab, I'd use a blue box, but if I really wanted to display the coins, I'd want some kind of box that allows you to lay them flat and see them. >>

Excellent point....I guess the warmth of the wood would heighten anticipation of seeing what is inside vis a vis the blue plastic box.????
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been meaning to get one. I think they look quite nice. Kinda good for taking a few goodies to the coin club or show and tell at a show.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought 2 of the 30 holder cherrywood boxes.

Perhaps when your two pet hamsters pass into the next world? >>

I have 2 parrots and 2 dogs.....

Actually I have thought about what my box of sixty would be??

They would not necessarily be the most expensive in my collection.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them... I had thoughts of buying one of those boxes to house my gold type collection.
  • Options
    << I bought 2 of the 30 holder cherrywood boxes.

In that case, you will need two more boxes and a blender.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< I bought 2 of the 30 holder cherrywood boxes.

In that case, you will need two more boxes and a blender. >>

Do you not mean a "Dog-o-matic" ?
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wasn't there a big deal about those boxes when they first came out, something having to do with the chemicals used not being too good for the coins stored in them?? i thought they were taken off the market after PCGS actually realized that they could harm coins.
  • Options
    I'd recommend Intercept Shield instead. LINK
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    Shouldn't the PCGS plastic holders be airtight and sealed, thus minimizing problems from atmospheric contaminants?

I have to admit I like the look of the display boxes; it seems rather crass to put, say, a $20,000 Saint Gaudens collection in a blue plastic box. But, then again, the afore-mentioned security issue comes up. In a decade or so when I've built such a collection, I'm not going to have them sitting out for all the world to see.

Which brings up a good point: how and when does one show off a collection? It's hard not to boast about a great find, and it seems devoid of purpose to squirrel away beautiful coins, but at the same time, you don't want to advertise to too many people that you've got valuables that are worthy of unscheduled visits from the professional criminal.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about getting some, but I ultimately decided on a mahogany coin cabinet and an armed guard. image
  • Options

<< <i>I bought 2 of the 30 holder cherrywood boxes.

• Options

<< <i><< I bought 2 of the 30 holder cherrywood boxes.

In that case, you will need two more boxes and a blender. >>

imageimage
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grabbbed 2 of these off ebay for the few slabs I have, there quite nice and affordable
    I think he has more, in different sizes on ebay now......

heres the link....(not my ebay store !!! )

here
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    Wood, felt and glue... not the best environment to preserve coins if you ask me. But you might end up with some eye appealing damage, er, toning I mean.
  • Options

<< <i>wasn't there a big deal about those boxes when they first came out, something having to do with the chemicals used not being too good for the coins stored in them?? i thought they were taken off the market after PCGS actually realized that they could harm coins. >>

Hi Keets,

Is this true? Did they pull them finally? I argued strongly against these boxes 5 or 6 years ago with Mr. Spud when they first came out and everyone thought I was nuts! Have they been discontinued? I ran across this while looking at the old threads:

2manycoins2fewfunds - <<Let me warn everyone that I had a PCGS 30 coin mahogany box full of silver coins including a 1995-w ASE.
    After resting closed at room temp for 3-5 years there was definate toning of multiple coins including the 1995-W ASE.
    A light golden toning.................

I wouldn't store any blast white silver coins in a wooden box again............ >>

Best wishes,
    Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file