Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Festival of Morgans at FUN

The 2009 FUN show will be one to remember for Morgan enthusiasts. Heritage is offering what is probably the greatest group of Morgans ever to hit the auction block in one sale. A look through the auction previews reveals what appears to be at least two world-class consignments of Morgans. In PCGS slabs alone, there are at least 16 dates graded 68 or higher. (Yes, higher !! Both of the 1881-S PCGS MS69 are in this auction.) There are dozens of coins with important pedigrees, including Eliasberg, Norweb, Wayne Miller, Bodway, Jack Lee, and the NFL Set. Want an 1883-S? You can choose between the Wayne Miller - Jack Lee PCGS MS66, and the Eliasberg PCGS MS67PL. Like DMPL's? How about a '98-O in 68 DMPL, the Jack Lee 1904 PCGS MS65 DMPL, or the Wayne Miller 1880-O PCGS MS64 DMPL (incredible for the date) !! There are two gem 1886-O's, and three 1896-O's grading 64 or higher. Like varieties? How about the Jack Lee 1900-O/CC in 67, or an 1878 Rev. of '79 in 66PL !! The list goes on and on ...

In fact, if you assembled a complete set from the coins that are already posted to the Heritage auction preview (which is not even complete yet), you could already form the #3 all-time finest PCGS Registry Set of Morgan Dollars (Circulation Strikes, Basic Set). The set would have a weighted grade of just about 66, exceeded only by the Jack Lee Collection and the California I set.

In addition to the incredible offerings by Heritage at FUN, visitors to the bourse floor will be able to view my collection of toned Morgans at the PCGS table. Included will be my entire Primary Registry Set (link in my sigline), plus (60) additional duplicate and variety coins, totaling (157) toned Morgans representing the complete basic set plus a few major varieties. Thanks to B.J. Searls and PCGS for making this display happen !! There are many spectacularly colorful coins there, plus many original toned examples of better dates that are nearly impossible to find with toning.

Between the Heritage auction and the display at PCGS, this January's FUN should be a show to remember for Morgan enthusiasts !!

Best,
Sunnywood

1880-S PCGS MS68 and 1894 PCGS MS65 from the Sunnywood Collection:

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing your collection and some of those great Morgans in the Heritage auctionimage

Dennis
  • Options
    still sad that I can not make itimage
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I'm VERY much looking forward to seeing your collection in person and hopefully meeting you Sunnywood. image

BTW - What do you have your eye on at Heritage that will upgrade your collection?
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I'm always glad to meet other collectors. image I don't think I will be chasing anything in the auctions though. I'm pretty happy with the set that I have, and I'm not much of a believer in the market at current levels. A great offering like the one at Heritage is likely to inspire some strong prices, and after building this collection (and getting kicked in the &$$ by the stock market this year) I'm likely to stay on the sidelines. Besides, I want to save money to start a new set or new project someday !!

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Although Morgan Dollars are not my area of interest, this is one collection I wouldn't miss for the world Sunnywood, am looking forward to seeing it and possibly meeting you.

john
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the Sunnywood Morgans...image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the coins mentioned in your OP appear to be most recently owned by Mike Casper. Has he maxed out on collecting Morgans?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Sunnywood has the finest set of dated toned Morgans EVER assembled.My congrats to him.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Doug,

Put a price on your entire set, and I will try to buy it. Then you will have enough to participate in the Barber half sale.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Doug,

Put a price on your entire set, and I will try to buy it. Then you will have enough to participate in the Barber half sale. >>

hubba hubba, you guys are making me drool...
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Dale, hahaha good one !! I don't think I could afford your magnificent halves !!!!

But if you bought my entire Morgan set first, then I could probably pick up one or two image
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up about your collection being displayed at the PCGS table. I'm anxious to see it.

Oh, and yeah, I might check out the auction lots, too. I can dream, can't I?

Chris
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there are going to be buckets at the PCGS table to collect all the drool!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds dreadful. I am glad that I will not be able to make it. image

Just kidding, of course. I am sorry that I will not be able to see your coins at the PCGS table and even more sorry I will not be able to meet you there. As for the Morgans for sale, as you already know, I am going to pass.
  • Options
    RYK, what will you do if I decide to collect dated 19th century gold next? I might just do that for the completely novel experience of having you actually like the series that I'm working on !!!
  • Options

<< <i>RYK, what will you do if I decide to collect dated 19th century gold next? I might just do that for the completely novel experience of having you actually like the series that I'm working on !!! >>

If you did that, I guess I would have to collect Morgans. image

You know that I am pulling your leg and that I have the utmost respect for you as a collector and as a person. I posted it here, not in a PM, so that the others would also know. image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific 1894...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    hahaha RYK, no worries, our mutual leg-pulling goes back some time now, eh? image

Thanks to all for the nice comments !!! image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunnywood,

Sorry I will not be able to see your entire collection close up. I would have really enjoyed that. It will be very interesting to see what the Morgan's bring in the Heritage auctions. Many high grade pieces, but mostly white and IMO, considerably boring. Toned Morgans are lovely to look at, DMPL's too... but white...not so much for me.

I do hope of course to get a better look at one of your dup Morgans after FUN. The money is reserved. image

Best,
    John
  • Options
    I'm bringing this thread back up to confirm what I guessed in the OP: there are two world-class sets of Morgans consigned to the heritage FUN sale. We now know one set is the Sanderson Family Collection, and the other is from the Arno Collection (I believe this was also called the New York City Set). As a result, there are at least two amazing examples of every issue in the series. The Arno collection is particularly magnificent, and includes some toned examples, some DMPL examples, many pedigreed examples, and spectacular overall quality.

Kudos to both of these collectors, for these are awesome sets. Of course, there are many other awesome sets in the upcoming auction, including Dale Friend's Barber halves, as well as the Queller and Lemus patterns, and much more.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I will start the bidding on the 1880-S at $2.75.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will start the bidding on the 1880-S at $2.75. >>

i bid 3.50
  • Options
    Sorry bear, but I turned down 10,000x your opening bid. image

Of course, that was before everyone lost all their money in the markets ... maybe today it's only worth $2.75 ? image

Either way, I still love it, and I'm keeping it !!

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, an offer of 27.5K for this monster must AT LEAST have given you pause.....right?..... image
    Obscenely ridiculous 80-S....I can't recall ever seeing THAT color on the obverse combined with THAT color on the reverse....one of a kind for sure. image

• Options
    Bad news for you, Sunnywood. I am coming to FUN, so I can give you a hard time in person. image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW - can't wait. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 2009 FUN show will be one to remember for Morgan enthusiasts. Heritage is offering what is probably the greatest group of Morgans ever to hit the auction block in one sale. A look through the auction previews reveals what appears to be at least two world-class consignments of Morgans. In PCGS slabs alone, there are at least 16 dates graded 68 or higher. (Yes, higher !! Both of the 1881-S PCGS MS69 are in this auction.) There are dozens of coins with important pedigrees, including Eliasberg, Norweb, Wayne Miller, Bodway, Jack Lee, and the NFL Set. Want an 1883-S? You can choose between the Wayne Miller - Jack Lee PCGS MS66, and the Eliasberg PCGS MS67PL. Like DMPL's? How about a '98-O in 68 DMPL, the Jack Lee 1904 PCGS MS65 DMPL, or the Wayne Miller 1880-O PCGS MS64 DMPL (incredible for the date) !! There are two gem 1886-O's, and three 1896-O's grading 64 or higher. Like varieties? How about the Jack Lee 1900-O/CC in 67, or an 1878 Rev. of '79 in 66PL !! The list goes on and on ...

In fact, if you assembled a complete set from the coins that are already posted to the Heritage auction preview (which is not even complete yet), you could already form the #3 all-time finest PCGS Registry Set of Morgan Dollars (Circulation Strikes, Basic Set). The set would have a weighted grade of just about 66, exceeded only by the Jack Lee Collection and the California I set.

In addition to the incredible offerings by Heritage at FUN, visitors to the bourse floor will be able to view my collection of toned Morgans at the PCGS table. Included will be my entire Primary Registry Set (link in my sigline), plus (60) additional duplicate and variety coins, totaling (157) toned Morgans representing the complete basic set plus a few major varieties. Thanks to B.J. Searls and PCGS for making this display happen !! There are many spectacularly colorful coins there, plus many original toned examples of better dates that are nearly impossible to find with toning.

Between the Heritage auction and the display at PCGS, this January's FUN should be a show to remember for Morgan enthusiasts !!

Best,
    Sunnywood

1880-S PCGS MS68 and 1894 PCGS MS65 from the Sunnywood Collection:

image >>

Wowsza!!!!! Gorgeous colors!!!!! Wish I was going to FUN. image

Sunnywood, please take pics and a video of the display.

Perhaps someone could interview you there, and you could post it on YouTube.

Show your coins to the camera so we can see the cartwheel and color dances!!!

OK OK??? image
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    I'm sorry I'm going to miss it. I would love to see them displayed.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry I'm going to miss it. I would love to see them displayed. >>

• Options
    Well, I'll do anything as long as it doesn't involve pics of me (I haven't seen one yet that I liked, except maybe the one I provided to PCGS). PCGS is going to tape some sort of audio interview that will be available on their website. I hope I will be witty and/or informative, but it's easier to do that in writing. On tape, I'll probably just sound like a dumb-a$$ !!!

RYK, I look forward to you giving me a hard time in person !! And I look forward to meeting other Board members as well.

Tassa, the 1900-O I bought from you in July 2004 is still in my primary set. You can see it, along with the comments (in which you are mentioned) in my main Registry set (link in my sigline).

Best to all,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    I wasn't planning on attending FUN . . . but then I heard that the Sunnywood $1 Morgan collection would be on display.

• Options
    I hope to see the Sunnywood collection at Long Beach in February - really looking forward to it!

Some spectacular Carson City Morgans are also included in the FUN auction.

One Morgan in the Fun auction not previously mentioned is the 1884-CC Branch Proof. Many are not even aware Carson City did proofs, but one is up for auction at FUN.

If only it was in a gsa holder...

Here is the link:

1884-CC Proof

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file