Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1970 Topps Munson custom cut signed card mockup Project FINISHED. Just got back from PSA/DNA w/sc

I bought this 1970 Thurman Munson rookie card and this Thurman Munson PSA/DNA authenticated cut with the purpose of making a Thurman Munson custom cut signed rookie card to add to my signed rookie card collection. Once done, PSA/DNA will slab it with a blue flip.

I have two choices on how to do the card and that is what I'm requesting opinions on, not on whether I should mess up a rookie card, whether you believe the sig is authentic, etc. etc. etc..

Choice one is kinda what you see pictured. Just cutting the sig out and laying it to the top of the card as shown.

Choice two would involve getting another Munson rookie and cutting out the spot for the sig, and sandwiching the cut in between the cards with kind of a mat effect.

Personally, I'm leaning toward choice one if done neatly, but wondered what others thought made the most attractive presentation between the two choices. I realize neither choice can replace a signed rookie card, but I've never even seen an authentic signed Munson rookie and this is a much more affordable option.

Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    I really like the look of the card you have in mind, not sure about cutting up and modifiying RCs.

Is the reason so both items will be authentic?

It's going to be UNREAL when it's done, however you choose to do it. image

UNREAL=Very cool
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Just me, but I think that the dual card "trapping" would work best. The only problem is that the centering of the cards could be problematic, unless you use the cut to cover the entire McDonald section.

As for signed copies of the rookie, they don't show up often, but they are out there (and probably more plentiful than his other signed cards. I picked mine up years ago, and it would be one of the absolute last cards I'd ever sell:

Now trying to find one signed by both is really hard.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i guess i would go with your first idea, but i like schr1st's card better, you can't find a signed copy? i would do the 1st and keep looking for a signed one
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I prefer #2
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Mike

Maybe something like this ...

image[/URL]
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike

Maybe something like this ...

image[/URL] >>

Chuck,

I like that. Not sure yet exactly how much room I have to work with as I just bought the Munson 1970 card on ebay yesterday so don't know how the sig "fits" yet.

If someone has the dimensions of the box that Dave McDonald is, I would appreciate it you could post it. The actual dimensions of the small Munson clipped signature is 1 5/8 inches long x 1/2 inch tall.

Chuck, if it fits, can you make me that (or something close) out of the original card if I send it to you?
    And, for that design, do you need two rookies or just one?

Mike

Sean,

Incredible card!!

Mike
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice design if the signature fits in McDonald's box, but I have 2 questions/thoughts. Why is "cut" capitalized and "signature" all lower case? Would "signature" look better in a different color like black?
  • Options
    why dont you have Knuckles do it for you?
    640K ought to be enough for anyone.
    -Bill Gates,1981

"With hurricanes,tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,& with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks,"Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"" Jay Leno 2006

• Options
    schr1st,

been looking for a Signed Thurman Munson authenticatd rookie card like yours for 3 + yrs now and havent seen a one yet.
    -Bill Gates,1981

"With hurricanes,tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,& with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks,"Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"" Jay Leno 2006

• Options
    I'll let you guys know the next time I see one offered (granted, you'll have to fight it out amongst yourselves as to who gets it).
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>been looking for a Signed Thurman Munson authenticatd rookie card like yours for 3 + yrs now and havent seen a one yet. >>

Based on what Munson's autos go for, I'd hate to see how much his signed RC would go for. I wouldn't be surprised if the price exceeds what Mike paid for his Mantle rc.
    Brian
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>been looking for a Signed Thurman Munson authenticatd rookie card like yours for 3 + yrs now and havent seen a one yet. >>

Based on what Munson's autos go for, I'd hate to see how much his signed RC would go for. I wouldn't be surprised if the price exceeds what Mike paid for his Mantle rc.
    Brian >>

How much is that ? over $1000?!
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • Options

<< <i>I'll let you guys know the next time I see one offered (granted, you'll have to fight it out amongst yourselves as to who gets it). >>

what pice tag woud you put on your signed munson rc?
    -Bill Gates,1981

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Brian >>

How much is that ? over $1000?! >>

Austin,

PM sent.

Mike
  • Options
    Value wise, I'd probably say $800 - $1000, not too sure. In terms of what it's worth to me, I wouldn't sell it for less than $5000, and even then I'd have to really need the $ and have sold everything else left of value in my collection (I'd sell my Babe Ruth / Lou Gehrig ball first).

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll let you guys know the next time I see one offered (granted, you'll have to fight it out amongst yourselves as to who gets it). >>

what pice tag woud you put on your signed munson rc? >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Iwas thinking thats what the munson signed rc would value at. here take a look at my bucket , which has my munson auto's

One of My Munson auto's framed , never to be sold

-Bill Gates,1981

• Options
    One of the first collections I ever completed was all of Thurman Munson's regular topps cards. The 1978 Topps is still my favorite.

BTW - where id you get this gem ? Are they real autographs ? [URL=http://imageshack.us]image[/URL]

I saw Crespo play against DC United at FedEx Field in 2005. That's a great Inter Milan side !
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Mike has the BEST HOF auto collection EVER!

I like the cut sig over the card.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike has the BEST HOF auto collection EVER!

I like the cut sig over the card. >>

Mike, when is this "surgery" operation gonna take place? you should record it for memory sake image
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike has the BEST HOF auto collection EVER!

I like the cut sig over the card. >>

Mike, when is this "surgery" operation gonna take place? you should record it for memory sake image >>

Austin,

I dropped it in the mail to TheHun about an hour and a half ago so it should be back soon. I'll put some pics up when I get it back.

Mike

Gonblott,

I appreciate the compliment. There are a couple people on this board that I know of that have much better signed HOF rookie collections than I do. I drool over some of theirs. image

Mike
  • Options
    Best of luck on the cut card, but knowing you Mike, you will not be happy and end up pulling the trigger on a signed Rookie some time down the road. Still it should end up beautiful.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Going to the winter show in White Plains soon, I'll keep an eye out.
  • Options

<< <i>Going to the winter show in White Plains soon, I'll keep an eye out. >>

Gonblott,

If you happen to see any of the following autographed, it'd be awesome if you could get the contact info for me:

1952 Topps Hoyt Wilhelm
    1955 Topps Roberto Clemente
    1956 Topps William Harridge
    1963 Topps Willie Stargell
    1965 Topps Catfish Hunter

THANKS!

Mike
  • Options
    Mike what is it that your looking for that cant find ? PM me
    -Bill Gates,1981

• Options

<< <i>Mike what is it that your looking for that cant find ? PM me >>

PM sent
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soon = 3 weeks from now.

Just in case Mike (thenavarro) though you meant today.
  • Options

<< <i>

Soon = 3 weeks from now.

Just in case Mike (thenavarro) though you meant today. >>

Thanks for the clarification, I actually was thinking today. However, I'm sure that 3 weeks from now, my wantlist will still probably be the same (but I hope not image )
  • Options
    Chuck AKA TheHun completed my Munson piece today. Here's the final finished version. Will look awesome slabbed in a PSA/DNA blue flipped holder.

• Options
    actual size

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike,

Card looks real nice! Great addition to your already AMAZING lot!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Here's a Thurman Munson signed rookie, but the seller is asking $4900.00 for it!! Too much for me for a Munson.

Munson autographed rookie $4900.00

• Options
    Got the final finished piece today back from PSA/DNA. All slabbed and ready to go into it's home in one of Matt's awesome storage cases with my others.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    cool piece

one of a kind 1/1
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Mike. that Munson looks awesome in its new slab.

brian