Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wow, some lucky guy won a PSA Ruth card for a buck!

Wish I would have know about this earlier, but it sold so fast I would not have had a chance to win it unless I was sitting at my PC all day constantly hitting refresh. I wonder if a card collector won this, or just a profiteer?

PSA Babe Ruth Card for a Buck

Comments

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Or if the winning bidder actually gets the card. Noticed the seller has "0" feedback.

Brian
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    The seller is EBay. They create a new ID each day so it makes it a little harder to find the item. The buyer will definitely get the card.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    that would be sweet, matt- you can look for the robotic lawnmower on thereimage
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i could use my wealth to buy an instructor to teach me how to do the robot.

RIP GURU
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    The description says MINT, but it's clearly EX 5. Even Ebay is violating its own rules. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I saw that too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    We should report them and see if they ban themselves
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

<< <i>We should report them and see if they ban themselves >>

I'm sure they'll just open another account!
  • Options
    I wonder if they would even resond if you just sent a general question about the item. Somehow I doubt it.
  • Options
    I wonder if the buyer used the 30% live.com discount and got it for .70 cents? LOL
    kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>Textwonder if the buyer used the 30% live.com discount and got it for .70 cents >>

That would be classic!
  • Options
    Looks like eBay managed to screw this promotion up too! There is a post on slickdeals with over 2,000 replies and I guess some people have created scripts to win these prizes. In addition to the grand prize each day, there and Wii's and iPods and various other items selling for $1.00 Buy It Now as well. The scripts are winning over half of the items. They are won by zero feedback bidders within 5 seconds or less from when the item hits eBay's internal search results! I was thinking of trying to win the Corvette today, but looks like it would just be a waste of time.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Yes...I was about 30 seconds too late on the Corvette...there are certainly bots trolling...

'09 Vette

Good job eBay.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Nice, Ebay could screw up a wet dream!
  • Options
    There's an MSNBC article talking about how eBay has screwed this up and most of these auctions are being won with no visitors ever viewing the auctions!

MSNBC article on Ebay's Doorbuster promotion
  • Options
    Typical, they try to do something good and hackers sleaze the way in.

Is anyone surprised?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I was pretty PO'd about the Corvette...I know it's a free contest and my chance to win was slim, but I had done the math and figured it would hit between 7 and 8 pm CST...so was hitting refresh every 10 seconds when the 'vette was listed and it didn't show up one time...it did however show up on the "completed" listings page I was also refreshing at the same exact minute it was listed and subsequently "purchased."
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    blue227blue227 Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Quote from MSNBC.com article on the eBay promotion:

Bids placed by scripting tools are now so widespread that some eBay auction sellers pulled pranks in recent days and began inserting the word "Holiday Doorbusters" into their descriptions so automated tools would be tricked into purchasing them. In one case, a member sold several $1 pictures of his pet with this warning:

"This is picture I took of my cat with my Cannon Powershot Camera after she overheard that people where using scripting to purchase HOLIDAY DOORBUSTERS items on eBay. Not responsible for poor scripting techniques."

MSNBC.com article
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Quote from MSNBC.com article on the eBay promotion:

Bids placed by scripting tools are now so widespread that some eBay auction sellers pulled pranks in recent days and began inserting the word "Holiday Doorbusters" into their descriptions so automated tools would be tricked into purchasing them. In one case, a member sold several $1 pictures of his pet with this warning:

"This is picture I took of my cat with my Cannon Powershot Camera after she overheard that people where using scripting to purchase HOLIDAY DOORBUSTERS items on eBay. Not responsible for poor scripting techniques."

MSNBC.com article >>

• Options
    If someone is smart enough to write and execute a script like this, more power to 'em. I'm jealous of their ability, not bitter that I didn't win a free car.
  • Options
    The trouble with that analogy is that some were not smart enough I think and simply bought the program.

And it was against the rules set in place by ebay.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    This will soon be a major scandal.

The easy remedy - after the fact - is for EBAY to force the "cheaters" to litigate
    any attempts to claim the prizes. An HONEST - non-RICO - enterprise would
    do that in a flash.

I was at the USPS a while ago. The lines were HUGE. MOST of the folks in line
    were either talking about or listening to BASHING stories about the "contest."

EBAY can ill-afford the kind of publicity and word-of-mouth that this MESS is
    going to generate.

Such contests can EASILY be made fair. It almost seems like everything JD
    does is intentionally designed to wreck the company.

I suspect that everybody is going to be shocked at the number of longtime
    sellers who exit EBAY during the early part of 2009. Google search-results
    are ALL that is needed to sell items; EBAY is nearly redundant.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    I'm not bitter nor am I jealous, I would have liked for someone to have won these doorbusters the way for which it was intended.

Steve
    Good for you.