Home Sports Talk
Options

Softest cities sports fans? Roudiest sports fans?

So, I was just in Dallas to watch the Seahawks lose, well get their a$$ handed to them by the Cowboys, and I was very surprised at how little heckling I got as a visitor to another teams stadium.

Before the game, Im all dressed up in Seahawk gear, it was a long walk, bout a mile to the stadium from the south 40 parking lot ($30 to park BTW, what a rip), I only got heckled maybe 3 times, and it was soft. " 2 and 9 " yep, good job, Im well aware of my teams record, congrats on reading the sports page this morning. "seahawks suck" yep, nice one, thats very original, did you come up with that yourself or did you girlfriend, aka your cousin, help you with that?

Halftime, hawks are down bad, obviously going to lose, im wandering the concourse, not a flippin word was said to me for 20 minutes (jonas brothers halftime show) , or my buddy in hawk gear as we wandered around.

After the game, me and my buddy walking back to the car, probably got heckled 3 times, and it was soft, like " boy we kicked your butt" yep, sure did man. I even bummed a beer off some tailgaiting cowboy fans. Funny

Ive been to alot, and I mean alot of Seahawk games in Seattle, and I heckle the hell out of opposing teams fans. Im not an a-hole about it, but I dont let a single person wearing an Urlacher jersey walk by me without receiving some sort of Seahawk welcome.

The worst city Ive visited for an away Seahawk game was Philly hands down. I got a-hole chanted at me by hundreds of people at a time, everywhere i went, and in my seats. it was awesome! Good fun, only a few people crossed the line, but man were their fans tough.

So, whats your choice for the softest fans, and the roudiest fans?

Comments

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with you on Dallas. Very soft fans. In my Pittsburgh gear, in Dallas, I was rarely heckled. Heck, half the fans were Steelers fans, though. I was at an Arizona/Pittsburgh game and while half the crowd was Steelers fans, the Cardinals fans definitely got loud. No heckling whatsoever by the Cardinal fans, though...and they won the game.

Ravens fans are so-so with their team. They were into the game in the beginning, but as soon as their team is out of it, they gave up and got quiet. As for baseball, Yankees fans are very passionate and will heckle the crap out of opposing fans. Glad I'm not one of them.

Just from judging on TV, fans that seem lifeless/don't show their team support with butts in the seats include: Atlanta and Jacksonville stand out the most.
  • Options
    From what I hear it is fan beware if you are dressed up in Yankees clothing at Fenway or Red Sox stuff at Yankee stadium. image

A lot of people in Dallas are probably "transplants" who moved there from other areas of the country so that while they love
    the Cowboys they don't feel the animosity toward visiting fans that a place like Philly would.
  • Options
    I was at the game Thursday......I figured I couldn't make you feel any worse than you already did watching that awful Seahawks team. image
    As far as soft...not a cowboy fan we are just used to winning. But we will get up for a game like the opener with Philly. That's the loudest I have ever heard Texas Stadium
    David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Dallas has the softest, LSU has the rowdiest. (had that experience a couple of times)

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Heckling isn't what it used to be.

Giants fans can be a little tough on the opponents fans, especially conference foes like Philly, Washington and Dallas. But they're nothing like they used to be. Seems the crack downs after the Snowball Game put a damper on that. Philly is probably the roughest road game I've been to as a Giants fan.

In other sports, I used to relish going to MSG with my Islanders #5 jersey back in the late '70s and early 80's, before shifting my allegiance to the NJ Devils. As an Islanders fan, there was nothing better than going to the Garden and being berrated by the Rangers fans. They were the best and worst at the same time. Whenever I wore the Potvin jersey, I never left with less than 4-5 beers tossed on me (arms raised and inviting more) and at least 20+ chants of "Potvin Sucks, Potvin Sucks" throughout the night. On the other hand, Rangers got the same treatment at the Colliseum before it became a ghost town. Games nowadays aren't the same. The Devils/Rangers rivalry is great, but there are too many Rangers fans that just get out of control, especially when THEY are on the road.

Yankees/Red Sox games are a blast in both stadiums. Unfortuantely, most of the ribbing is great and good natured (even quite original), but there are always a few idiots that decide that it's better to throw punches than to trade barbs and insults.

Rivalries and heckling the opponents and their fans is great, but I can't stand the crybabies that dish it out but want to fight as soon as you send it back (read that as Rangers and Mets fans).
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boston is a pretty tough place to go if your a Yankee or Canadien fan I can tell ya that much. I have seen a couple of beatdowns on idiots running their mouths in crowded bathrooms yelling "Boston Sucks" while wearing Yankee or Canadien jerseys.
  • Options
    were you going for ROWDY or RUDE? there is a difference image
  • Options

<< <i>I have seen a couple of beatdowns on idiots running their mouths in crowded bathrooms yelling "Boston Sucks" while wearing Yankee or Canadien jerseys. >>

And ain't that the image of beauty. A bunch of Chowda Heads in a public bathroom putting a mob beatdown on some poor fan that didn't have the common sense to keep his mouth shut at the right time. I'm betting they didn't even wash their hands when they left the urinal before beating the guy down. We should at least keep the insanity sanitary.

I can just hear a couple of guys in the mob... "Howld 'em fa me Babbie and Johnnie, I'm gunna punch him in the ja. Ain't no New Yawka commin' into Fenway tellin' us Bastin sacks That just ain't wicked smat. And ya's can keep Raja, too, that rat bastid."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have seen a couple of beatdowns on idiots running their mouths in crowded bathrooms yelling "Boston Sucks" while wearing Yankee or Canadien jerseys. >>

And ain't that the image of beauty. A bunch of Chowda Heads in a public bathroom putting a mob beatdown on some poor fan that didn't have the common sense to keep his mouth shut at the right time. I'm betting they didn't even wash their hands when they left the urinal before beating the guy down. We should at least keep the insanity sanitary.

I can just hear a couple of guys in the mob... "Howld 'em fa me Babbie and Johnnie, I'm gunna punch him in the ja. Ain't no New Yawka commin' into Fenway tellin' us Bastin sacks That just ain't wicked smat. And ya's can keep Raja, too, that rat bastid." >>

Scott I hope I didnt touch on a nerve with you- perhaps you got hassled or pushed around yourself at Fenway?
  • Options
    Nah, not at all. I just know how the tyipcal "mob" fan in Boston and New York acts. They're the same only with different accents. Well, that and the Boston mob would zip their pants up before the beatdown while the NY mob would probably whiz on the guy, too...

I've always enjoyed the Red Sox/Yankees games at both the Stadium and Fenway...and have enjoyed the fans at both.

Now, the old Boston Garden... I couldn't wear anything there suggesting I was supporting anyone other than the home team.

And in Montreal, the Bell Centre is great. Thank goodness I don't speak French or maybe I wouldn't have thought the trip was so nice...
  • Options

<< <i>Nah, not at all. I just know how the tyipcal "mob" fan in Boston and New York acts. They're the same only with different accents. Well, that and the Boston mob would zip their pants up before the beatdown while the NY mob would probably whiz on the guy, too...

I've always enjoyed the Red Sox/Yankees games at both the Stadium and Fenway...and have enjoyed the fans at both.

Now, the old Boston Garden... I couldn't wear anything there suggesting I was supporting anyone other than the home team.

And in Montreal, the Bell Centre is great. Thank goodness I don't speak French or maybe I wouldn't have thought the trip was so nice... >>

The old Boston Garden seriously might have been one of the unsafest places to go wearing Yankee or Canadien jerseys that Im pretty sure of.

Glad you enjoyed games at Fenway, bottom line there will always be instances of foolishness under certain conditions in any park-rink-stadium.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I think a point that gets overlooked in all of this is that most stadiums now are all so comfortable and new. Nobody wants to get out of their comfy chair to heckle anymore! If you thought Dallas fans were soft before, wait until they're sitting on their couches at the new stadium.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Rudest in Philly. Softest/nicest, I'd say....New Orleans...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philadelphia fans always treat Dallas Cowboys fans with the utmost dignity, courtesy, respect, admiration, and kindness. There is a long standing Philadelphia tradition if happening to sit next to a Dallas Cowboys fan at the stadium, then the Eagles fan will buy that Cowboys fan a hotdog, bag of peanuts, and a cold drink.

Actually.....No
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Softest crowd: Charlotte

Ugliest crowd: Philly
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the posted responses it seems that the roughest fans [in how they verbally taunt/abuse opposing fans] are located in the Northeast.

Not a single vote for any team located out west.

I wonder if fanaticaly loyalty to your home team in a city such as Philly, Pittsburg, Boston, New York, etc. stems from life being a little grittier back in the Northeast?

Out here in California, it seems so often that many persons who attend sporting events view same as a social engagement where they go to see and be seen by others, with the game being played having secondary importance [maybe even no importance]. Peole show up late, leave early and during the game are glued to their Blackberry and other anti social devices.

Maybe it is the milder climate out in California.

The only California exception I can think of is the die hard crazies who reside in the Black hole of the Oakland Colesium who go to watch the Raiders lose season after season and who will verbally and physically abuse anyone who is a fan of the visiting team.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing not alot of you have been to jacksonville game,
    Being a season ticket holder for 4yrs now,it's terrible.
    There's usually more of the opposing team fans then jags.Pitt,colts
    are always outnumbering us.I'm a raiders fan but jags are right up the road,
    so it's fun for me and my son.
    Raider fans are ruthless,even when we are losing,we stilltalk smack
    at home,plus we have the black hole,always rowdy!

J.R.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Does Raider fan still pee on Charger fan when the get together?

I guess its better to heckle when you are winning.

JS
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I grew up in LA, and though I love most of the LA sports teams, the fans there are by far the softest. With the exception of the Raider's fans, for a few years when they were in LA, the fans down there are very soft. It was eye opening to go to my first Dodger's v. Giant's game at Candlestick. Much tougher crowds in Nor Cal. I also have traveled around the country, extensivly, and been to many pro and college sporting events. I found Yankee stadium to be pretty tough on the opposition and it was merely the Brave's when I went to my first game there.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does Raider fan still pee on Charger fan when the get together?

I guess its better to heckle when you are winning.

JS >>

Can't say I've pee'd on any fan or person for that matter,
    But yes heckling is always better when your winning.Me and my son have been to
    2 bucs games this year,nice to be 6-0 at home,can't wait for the raiders to visit.
    I'm hoping bucs have clinched by then,and we get to play back-ups.LOL
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I went to see the Cowboys play in Detroit last year, and in an entire weekend..not one person heckled me...I was very surprised. A few fans went overboard on cheering and turned and looked at us and pointed when Detroit scored....but no real heckling at all.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Heckling isn't what it used to be.

Giants fans can be a little tough on the opponents fans, especially conference foes like Philly, Washington and Dallas. But they're nothing like they used to be. Seems the crack downs after the Snowball Game put a damper on that. Philly is probably the roughest road game I've been to as a Giants fan.
    >>

Well yeah man .... who wants to lose their SEASON TICKETS over some douche bag out of towner in full gear? Duhhhhhh image

And I mean DOUCHE BAG in a most friendly way image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240