Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

*My Next Set* - 51 Bowman or 56 Topps *Decision has been Made!*

As some of you on the boards know. I've been putting together a '33 Goudey set for about 2+ years now. They are all PSA 5 and I'm working my way nicely to the end. I figure I will be done before January 2010 (I may make it my 2009 New Years Resolution).

Before I chose 33 Goudey, I made quite a few criteria before choosing.

#1. The set had to be attainable. (Cards could be found without digging the depths of the earth) Note: I'm not getting the Lajoie
#2. The set had to look great.
#3. The set had to have multiple HOF'ers and superstar cards.
#4. The set had to be a good 'Long Term' investment.
#5. I had to be able to collect the set in EX condition.
#6. It had to be a well known set.

In my research I learned the only pre-war cards were safe to retain value in EX condition. I also learned the the T206 set had lots of variations (and was out of my price range) 1914 CJ's couldn't be found in EX.

I was pretty much left with 1915 CJ's, 33 Goudey, and 1940 Play Ball. Obviously I choose the 33 Goudey's. I am thrilled with my decision.

Now I am starting to do my research on my next set after my 33 Goudey Set is done. Here is my criteria

#1. Must be PSA 7 (All PSA 7)
#2. Must have great Eye Appeal
#3. Must have Mantle, Williams, and Mays
#4. Cannot be loaded with commons (350 card set max)
#5. A good 'long term' investment
#6. No Incredible Short Prints
#7. No All Star Cards or split cards (example: Matle/Mays)

I have narrowed it down to 1951 Bowman and 1956 Topps. Input, stories and opinions are welcome. This is not a competition on what set you like better (even though that does matter), but a set that best meets my criteria in what I'm looking for.

Please discuss.
-Ryan

Comments

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I was doing both (in lower grades than you) and I put the 56's on hold, oddly enough I'm collecting the 33's in low grade as well. I much more enjoy the Bowmans. I don't think the 56's hold a candle to the bowmans (I'm just bummed there is no Jackie Robinson for 51, so I'll add the 50 for a kicker). The lack of a Musial for either is weird too.
  • Options
    51 Bowman! and its not even close in my opinion. I think the Mantle 51 Bowman RC is a work of art!
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    id do 51 bowman,they are art like goudey
  • Options
    The criteria you listed kind of forced you into those 2 years. Personaly, I think the 52 Bowman is a better value and has Musial (but no Williams). 54 Bowman meets your criteria (except the Williams is a short print) and is the biggest sleeper set of the 50's in my opinion.

All that said, if you're only looking at those 2 years, 56 Topps is a far better set and includes Jackie, which the other set doesn't have.

The 58 is another great set in my opinion but fails a few of your tests.
  • Options
    And the 58 Mantle is butt-ugly, so is the Williams
  • Options
    i agree, my favorite set that meets your criteria would be the 1954 bowman set, the 52 topps is obviously #1, but the 54 bowman has everything you need. the williams sp card would have to be the last card, but i'd pick that.
    "Don't ban me because i'm beautiful" - Me

"oh, it's not good enough for you, but it's good enough for me" - homer j. simpson
  • Options

<< <i>And the 58 Mantle is butt-ugly, so is the Williams >>

I agree on the Williams, but the 58 Mantle is one of his best cards. The 56 "Cheshire" Mantle is one of his worst in my opinion.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I'm working on the '56 Topps set right now and have about 25% of the set so far. I decided to build it for many of the same reasons that you chose to build the '33 Goudey set:

1 - Attainable. Mantle is the highest valued card and with an SMR of $515 in PSA 5 grade, it is within my range. The smaller size of the set at 342 cards also helps.
    2 - I love the horizontal look of the '56 Topps set as well as the "oversized" cards. Great eye appeal in my opinion.
    3 - Mantle, Mays, Clemente, Jackie Robinson, Koufax, Williams, and numerous more HOF'ers. What more could you want!
    4 - I think the classic nature of the set and the great mix of HOF'ers make this set a great "long-term" investment.
    5 - The smaller size of this set means I can achieve this set within my budget in PSA 5 - PSA 6 grade. Aparicio is the main rookie card, so there are no high priced rookies in this set to move it out of my range.
    6 - The '56 Topps set is very well known. I think I read somewhere that it is one of the most graded sets.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options

<< <i>i agree, my favorite set that meets your criteria would be the 1954 bowman set, the 52 topps is obviously #1, but the 54 bowman has everything you need. the williams sp card would have to be the last card, but i'd pick that. >>

Most underrated card of the 50's.

• Options
    BB- I used to think the 56 Mantle was the end-all, but after seeing so many of them, I almost hate it. And that's why I quit buying the 56's ( except for a few I still want, i.e. the Aparacio card)
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Ryan...I personally like the 56s better for many of the reasons already mentioned. The eye appeal of this set when you find nicely centered 7s is amazing. Here are some of my favorites. Hope you enjoy!

Jeff

• Options
    In my mind, I ruled out 54 Bowman because of the centering issues and how qualifiers could become a serious factor. The 54 bowman card also lack the artwork of the 51's and 56's. The investment factor is also an issue. This set is generally much less popular than the 51's and 56's. I ruled out the 52's because of the SP high numbers (including Mantle and Mathews). I'm having a tough enough time with the conditioned sensitive low # goudey's. The 52's in PSA 7 are out of my price range too.

It looks like the eye appeal of the 51's is definitely in the lead with the board members. The arguement about Koufax and Clemente is really good with the 56's.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    a few of my all-time favorites I have:

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just collect the HOF players from both sets and forget about the commons.
    That would be the best value for money spent.
    There have been a lot of beautiful cards posted just on this thread and I've noticed not one has been a common. Just something to think about. image
  • Options
    Some Commonsimage
  • Options
    Got any Ed Brinkmans'.
    That's all I got as a kid.
    Early 70's.
  • Options
    Darin, I dunno I'm just posting stuff I already had scanned. Yeah commons are boring, but I like to read the backs.
  • Options
    51 bowman hands down and its not even close.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The arguement about Koufax and Clemente is really good with the 56's. >>

Aaron, as well.
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As some of you on the boards know. I've been putting together a '33 Goudey set for about 2+ years now. They are all PSA 5 and I'm working my way nicely to the end. I figure I will be done before January 2010 (I may make it my 2009 New Years Resolution).

Before I chose 33 Goudey, I made quite a few criteria before choosing.

#1. The set had to be attainable. (Cards could be found without digging the depths of the earth) Note: I'm not getting the Lajoie
    #2. The set had to look great.
    #3. The set had to have multiple HOF'ers and superstar cards.
    #4. The set had to be a good 'Long Term' investment.
    #5. I had to be able to collect the set in EX condition.
    #6. It had to be a well known set.

In my research I learned the only pre-war cards were safe to retain value in EX condition. I also learned the the T206 set had lots of variations (and was out of my price range) 1914 CJ's couldn't be found in EX.

I was pretty much left with 1915 CJ's, 33 Goudey, and 1940 Play Ball. Obviously I choose the 33 Goudey's. I am thrilled with my decision.

Now I am starting to do my research on my next set after my 33 Goudey Set is done. Here is my criteria

#1. Must be PSA 7 (All PSA 7)
    #2. Must have great Eye Appeal
    #3. Must have Mantle, Williams, and Mays
    #4. Cannot be loaded with commons (350 card set max)
    #5. A good 'long term' investment
    #6. No Incredible Short Prints
    #7. No All Star Cards or split cards (example: Matle/Mays)

I have narrowed it down to 1951 Bowman and 1956 Topps. Input, stories and opinions are welcome. This is not a competition on what set you like better (even though that does matter), but a set that best meets my criteria in what I'm looking for.

Please discuss. >>

I'll vote 1956. However I'm clearly biased because I'm building that set. Is your list of criteria based on importance to you?

# 1) Must be PSA 7 - I see that SMR (FWIW) in 7 is about twice as much for the 51s. Obviously the Mantle and Mays rookies are partially responsible for this differential. Other than the Mantle, there aren't really any other high $ cards in the 56.

# 2) Must have great eye appeal - When I chose to pursue the 56 set, it was between that one and 53 Bowman Color. I'm a stickler for centering and I found the 53s much harder to find centered, so it was the 56 for me. In terms of iconic sets of the 50s, there's these two and the 52 Topps (Mantle would be out of my league however) imo. In terms of eye appeal I prefer the 53, 54 and 55 (it's kitschy) Bowman sets over the 51 Bowman. That's not even bringing the other Topps sets of the 50s into the equation.

# 3) Must have Mantle, Williams and Mays - I could be wrong, but I think the 56 set has more HOFers than any other 50s set.

# 4) Cannot be loaded with commons - I think this is what discourages most people about set building. How did you feel about the commons on your 33 Goudey set? For me personally, I get more excited securing a low pop common for my set than getting one of the big guys. In the 56 set, the stars are available on eBay every single week I would say.

# 5) A good long term investment - Well the presence of the Mantle and Mays rookies give the edge to the 51s here. The Alston and Aparicio are the only HOF rookies in the 56 set. Without looking at the pop report, I'd say that there are significantly more 1956 PSA 7s than 1951 PSA 7s.

# 6) No incredible short prints - Not sure about any variations in the 51 set, but in addition to the white back/gray back in the 56s, there's also 3 different team variations in the 1st series. If you just collect the basic set, you're okay though.

# 7) No All Star cards or split cards - In addition to the aforementioned team cards, the 56 set also includes both the AL and NL Commisioners as well as two checklist cards.

It looks like you've done your research, so I'm probably not shedding any new light for you here. But I thought I would chip in with my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your 33 Goudey set and really you can't lose with whatever set you choose next.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    yeah
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Have you ever thought about the 57 set? I am a bit biased but I also just started the 56 set as well. So if I had to pick the 56 would get my vote. You are always going to have hard to find cards, but for the most part both of those sets are abundent in psa7 and 8. Either way good luck.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    You guys have shed a bit more light on the situation. After my last post I was leaning toward 51's, but it seems like with the exception of the Mantle/Mays/Ford/Williams cards, there isn't too much to talk about in the set (maybe a Nellie Fox RC). The 56 set definitely has more 'star power', but there is definitely an issue that I have very little knowledge about with the 56's which is the gray back and the white back. The RC's in 56 is a little dissapointing, too.

Note: I did think about 57, but too many registry problems, centering problems, and commons. Great set.

Second Note: Collecting 33 Goudey commons isn't bad. Most were very good players that were all stars...just not HOF'ers.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    Ryan, Do us a favor......Which ever set you deceide to build, start a post and keep us updated on your purchases and progress. I would love to watch you build this set, especially if its the 51 Bowman.
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi Ryan,

Not sure if you saw this article on the 56 set but it has a lot of information including the gray vs white backs. In my experience, I have not seen a premium paid one way or another.

Jeff

For those of you who are old enough to remember the thrill of buying and opening fresh packs of 1956 Topps baseball cards, the moments and memories must be etched in the mind as if it were only yesterday. It is these recollections that generations of card collectors share. They keep us young and take us back to a time in our lives when everything seemed so simple. Time stood still as we excitedly opened our newly purchased packs with great anticipation not realizing that the small amount of change we invested actually included a purchase for a lifetime of memories, what a bargain!

The 1956 Topps baseball card set is exceptional in that it marked the beginning of a new era in the card collecting industry. Early in 1956, Topps would purchase arch rival Bowman, thus eliminating their major competition and beginning a domination of the market that would last until 1981. That year, Fleer and Donruss would produce their own baseball card sets after being granted trading card licenses from Major League Baseball effectively breaking Topps monopoly and paving the way for other companies.

1956 was a year of experimentation for Topps as they released a variety of sports sets to test the market. Included was Topps Hocus Focus both large and small versions, Topps Pins, and Bazooka Joe Big League Emblems. It was all an effort to gauge the market and fi nd out what really appealed to their target audience now that hey were the only major player in the field. In the end, the collectors remained loyal to the baseball cards and the experiments ended until the 1960’s arrived.

In 1956, Major League Baseball was unknowingly experiencing the end of an era when New York’s inter-city rivalries the New York Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers would meet in the World Series for the very last time. During an incredible eight year time span from 1949 to 1956, New York baseball teams represented fourteen of the possible sixteen teams in the World Series. All eight World Series champions resided in New York, a feat that would never be replicated again because of the move west by the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers following the conclusion of the 1957 season.

New York City Mayor Robert Wagner made a last ditch attempt to keep the Dodgers in New York but it was not to be. The organization was not happy with the offer and, by the end of 1956, the Dodgers would eventually sell Ebbets Field to a real estate group. There was an agreement in place for the Dodgers to stay until 1959 with an option to remain until 1961, but neither would be realized. The New York Giants were also offered plans for a new 110,000 seat, $75 million dollar stadium in 1956 but it was the cost that killed the deal and put into motion the move to San Francisco.

The 1956 baseball season had many highlights which culminated with the New York Yankees game 7 win over the rival Brooklyn Dodgers in the World Series. This was Yankee revenge for the Dodgers World Series win over the Bronx Bombers the previous year. The greatest moment of the season was the one and only perfect game pitched in World Series history by Don Larsen in game 5 at Yankee Stadium. It took a mere 97 pitches. What is even more amazing is that it was pitched before 10,000 empty seats and that Larsen was roughed up his previous start, lasting only 1 2/3 innings! There were three regular season nohitters, Mel Parnell of the Boston Red Sox along with Brooklyn teammates Carl Erskine and Sal Maglie. Maglie was purchased from the Cleveland Indians early in the season by the Dodgers fi nishing runner-up in both the NL MVP Award and the Cy Young Award to teammate Don Newcombe. This was the first Cy Young Award in baseball history and was instituted by baseball head Ford Frick.

Mickey Mantle would hit monster shot after monster shot on his way to winning the Triple Crown with a .353 average, 52 Home Runs, and 130 RBI’s. The first switch hitter to lead a league in batting since 1889! Cincinnati’s Frank Robinson and Chicago’s Luis Aparicio would win the Rookie of The Year awards in their respective leagues. Pittsburgh’s Dale Long homered in a record 8 straight games while the White Sox’s Jim Derrington became the youngest pitcher ever to start a game at just 16 years of age.

The All-Star Game was won by the National League 7-3 but not without some controversy. Every Cincinnati Redlegs regular was voted by the fans to start in the All-Star Game, however, it was proven the ballot box’s were stuffed by Redleg fans so Ford Frick decided to disallow the vote and replace some of the Redlegs with more worthy players.

Other notable events that happened in baseball in 1956 included the fi rst umpire to wear glasses during a game, the first game played in New Jersey, the induction of Joe Cronin and Hank Greenberg into the Baseball Hall of Fame, the unconditional release of Phil Rizzutto by the Yankees, and Jackie Robinson retiring rather than accepting a trade by the Dodgers to the Giants. Also one of the original architects of the American League and the games longest tenured manager, Connie Mack, would pass away at age 93 as would fellow Hall of Famer and Philadelphia Athletic Al Simmons.

Outside of baseball, the federal minimum wage was increased to $1 an hour, the Interstate Highway System was born, Dwight D. Eisenhower was re-elected president, the cruise ship Andrea Dora sinks, the Hungarian Revolution occured, Grace Kelly Married Prince Ranier the third, the Dow Jones Industrial Average topped 500 points, and Elvis entered the charts for the fi rst time with “Heartbreak Hotel”. Yahtzee, Busch Beer, the snooze alarm clock, Certs breath mints, Jif Peanut Butter, the computer hard disk, the Hovercraft, “mistake off” or liquid paper as it is better know today, and the first videotape recorder made their debuts.

The 1956 Topps Baseball card set is considered by many to be one of the most attractive and highly desired sets ever produced. With most of the games big name stars of the day included, the set itself has an aura about it which reflects a time when the game was pure and the era was golden.

Topps having just bought out rival Bowman was free to rule the market, however, it would still be a few years until every player appeared in a Topps baseball card set. The reason for this would be because card contracts with players who were under agreement with Bowman before the buyout would have to be re-negotiated in time for the production of the 1956 Topps set. This proved difficult since Bowman had signed exclusive agreements with a number of players and, as a result, Topps could not issue a complete set of cards in 1956. The most notable player omission was Stan Musial, who would not appear in a Topps set until his 1958 All-Star card. 1956 MVP Award runner-up and Cy Young Award runner-up Sal Maglie also did not have a card in the set. On the other hand, Mickey Mantle would be the most heralded addition with his first Topps card since 1953. This would be his last card that featured artwork instead of a photograph.

The 1956 Topps baseball card set contains 340 numbered cards along with 2 unnumbered checklists and has the official set designation of R414-11. This was the first year that checklists and team cards appeared in a set. The set is broken down into four series with Series One cards 1 thru 100, Series Two cards 101 thru 180, Series Three cards 181-260, and Series Four cards 261-340. Series One and Series Three cards can be found on one checklist while Series Two and Series Four cards are found on the other. The checklists are very appealing with their red, white, and blue front colors and orange, brown, and grey back colors. As is true with all checklists, fi nding one that is unmarked has always been the challenge.

The key cards in the set are #135 Mickey Mantle, #5 Ted Williams, #33 Roberto Clemente, #79 Sandy Koufax, #31 Hank Aaron, #130 Willie Mays, #251 New York Yankees team card, #166 Brooklyn Dodgers team card, and both checklists. There are also 13 rookie cards in the set highlighted by #292 Luis Aparicio but missing from the set is the National League Rookie of The Year Frank Robinson. Card #8 of Walter Alston, #1 of William Harridge, and #2 of Warren Giles are obviously not of players but do get a rookie card designation since it is their first appearance on a card.

I recently read a story from a person describing his experience as a child growing up in New York City and collecting the 1956 Topps baseball card set. He claims that the hardest card in the entire set to attain was the New York Yankees team card. No matter how many packs he and his friends bought, that particular card was no where to be found. Finally, after spending a kids version of the Gross National Product, one of his friends did get the elusive card which, of course, he refused to part with. The Yankees team card is one of the prized examples in the set and it makes one wonder why it was so scarce at least in this incident and of all places in New York City?

During production, the 1956 cards were printed 110 to a factory sheet or 10 x 11. With the fi nding of an uncut sheet, it is known that there are 20 double printed cards in the first series. They are #2 Warren Giles, #9 Ruben Gomez, #14 Ken Boyer, #15 Ernie Banks, #19 Chuck Diering, #21 Joe Collins, #27 Nelson Burbink, #30 Jackie Robinson, #31 Hank Aaron, #34 Tom Brewer, #46 Gene Freese, #50 Dusty Rhodes, #52 Bob Grim, #60 Mayo Smith, #66 Bob Speake, #72 Philadelphia Phillies team card with name at far left, #75 Roy Sievers, #80 Gus Triandos, #82 Bill Renna, and #86 Ray Jablonski.

The 1956 Topps baseball cards could be purchased in either one card penny packs or six card nickel packs. Twenty four nickel packs made up a box and 24 boxes were in a case. The penny and nickel pack wax wrappers both have yellow backgrounds with the nickel pack showing a single drawn player and the penny pack with two drawn players. The nickel pack has advertisement such as Bazooka Gum while the one cent pack does not. Both packs are extremely hard to find unopened and the few that are out there demand a very high premium.

There also were gumball machines back in 1956, which gave you one 1956 baseball card and a gum ball for one cent. The gumball came through the dispenser while the card would emerge and have to be pulled out. The question then arises if the cards were from vending boxes or were the cards taken out of packs and loaded into the machines? It is unknown but the gumball machines can occasionally be seen at auction on various sites. There were also special three-card advertising panels, which were displayed in stores to promote the 1956 Topps baseball card set. The front of the panels show three cards as they actually look and on the back of each card printed in blue ink on a white background is "Topps Baseball", "2 Thrilling Color Photos on Each Giant Sized Card!", "Every Big Star In The Major Leagues". One known three card panel example has Johnny O’Brien, Harvey Haddix, and Roger Craig. I have found a single card cut away from a three card panel of George Susce JR.

Like the 1955 Topps set before, it the card dimensions measure 2 5/8” by 3 ¾” with a horizontal front and back format while using the same card stock thickness. But, unlike the 1955 set, the front of the 1956 card is not as glossy in appearance but has a more grainy look to it. The front of the player cards depict 2 photos, one which is an up close head shot imposed on an action or posed background photo with that particular players facsimile signature in black. Some of the same close up player head shots appear on Topps cards from both 1954 and 1955.

It’s important to note that, in 1956, Topps had one part time photographer and a limited amount of available pictures to use. The card front is ringed by a solid white border which may vary due to the way the card was factory cut. Either at the upper left or upper right of the card will be two colored boxes within a white bordered box. The upper box contains the players name in white lettering against a colored background, which is one of six different colors, red, blue, orange, green, black, or light blue. The lower box contains the player’s position and his team name in black lettering with a background color of yellow, orange, blue, or green.

Cards 1 thru 180 have either white or gray backs with the first 100 cards containing more white backs while the last 80 cards contain more gray back examples. The remaining 160 cards in the set are all of the gray back variety. The back of a player’s card lists a wealth of information. The top portion contains the card number, the players name, height, weight, and home along with his position, team, the way he throws and bats and his birthdate. The middle section of the card takes up nearly half of the card back and has three colorful cartoons depicting different career highlights or personal information. The lower section of the card back supplies that player’s statistical information from the previous season and his career totals from the major or minor leagues. Fielding information is listed on a number of cards but not all. The colors on the card backs are gray, white, black, red, dark green and light green.

Of the sixteen team cards that are in the 1956 set, six come with three different variations and two of those have gray and white back variations. The three team card variations have either the team name centered on the front of the card, are dated with the year 1955, or have the team name to the far left. According to the Sports Market Report, it is the dated examples which are valued the highest followed by the team name to the left and then the centered team name version. Topps certainly did justice to the team card backs providing a great deal of information about that particular team. Included is a brief team history, a diagram showing the fi eld dimensions, all-time season records, and a list of the pennant and championship team years.

Another addition to the 1956 Topps set is the inclusion of card # 1 of American League President William Harridge and card #2 of National League President Warren Giles. Two very neat cards that show a portrait shot of each president on the card front and an awesome card back that supplies info about that particular president. What is really eye catching is how the back information is framed by all eight team logos and full team names from that president’s league. As is the case with most beginning and end cards of vintage sets, the #1 William Harriage card demands more of a premium since it was more susceptible to damage as a result of rubber bands and first card exposure.

There are believed to be over 200 different card variations in the 1956 set due mostly to the gray and white card backs. There are, however, a number of cards that have color line variations on the card front. Most notably is the Ted Williams card which has either no line over his name or a thin green, red, blue, or yellow line between the white border for a total of five variations. None are considered to have any impact upon a cards value. Whitey Ford and Early Wynn are two other cards which have no line or a thin red or yellow line. The only errors known to exist in the set are a handful of uncorrected errors. Card #31 of Hank Aaron actually shows Willie Mays sliding into home, card #218 of Joe Nuxhall is misspelled Nuxall, card #241 Don Mueller shows his height as 6 inches tall, and the #251 New York Yankees team card shows Don Larsen misspelled on the front as Larson. There are also thirteen cards with player name variations that are not error cards.

During the 2006 National Sports Collectors Convention in Anaheim, California this past July 26-30, Topps issued a four card cello pack of their "Cards That Never Were" to each VIP guest. A total of five cards were created to the exact specifications of the 1955 and 1956 Topps cards. The 1956 Topps "Cards That Never Were" are #341 Frank Robinson, #342 Duke Snider, N.L. Homerun King, #343 Brooks Robinson Rookie card, and #344 Mickey Mantle, Triple Crown. The lone 1955 Card is #211 Mickey Mantle. If you didn’t attend the National and get your cello pack, the good news is that I have noticed a number of examples up for sale on some of the various auction sites.

According to the most recent PSA Population Report, over 120,000 1956 Topps baseball cards have received grades which makes it the most graded Topps product of all time. This is amazing for a set of only 340 cards but a credit to its durability and popularity. Even more impressive is fifty years after its release, the 1956 Topps baseball card set remains as golden as the anniversary it celebrates!

• Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Great Read! I remember when that article was published. I never understood the lack of value in regards to the white and grey backs. I am just waiting for a 50's special and I am sending in about 100 56's to get graded. I cant think of a better way to jump start a set than to add about 1/3 of the cards at one time.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i vote for the bowmans. i like the look of the cards they are like little works of art
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    What the heck, do them both! Will only take twice as long to do but so what. It's just fun to collect!

BTW, 1953 Color Bowmans are my all time favorites.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If you do decide on the 51 Bowman make sure the reverses are stained free. PSA does not always
    qualify these with the ST qualifier.

Sellers do not as a habit say a card has a stain on the back if PSA doesn't too.

Be wary of that.

I'd do the 52 set myself, 51 has a Mantle and Mays rookie that makes that set expensive.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

1952 is also found with stains and no ST qualifier. The reason I think is that these early Bowmans were sold in penny packs (1 card)
    to a pack and since so many have the Stain PSA has chosen not to qualify them.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I have some time to make my decision, and it is very hard. Once I get this set done, I am going to do another Pre-War set (Probably E90-1; T205; or 1915 CJ's), but that's a far far time away.

I think that I will be able to attain the 1956 set much faster than the 51 set, but I think in terms of investment, the 51 set is probably a bit better due to the lack of RC's in the 56's. Does anyone disagree? It looks like variations and minor problems are a part of both sets (wax stains/rough cuts). The big question is whether I want to take 12-24 months to put together this set or 24-48 months to build my next set (money is an issue). I am at about month 30 with the Goudey's and it can be tough at times, but it is worth it. I don't want to get to the 51's and decide that I just don't like it.

I love cards.

-Ryan
    -Ryan
  • Options
    I've gotta agree with the idea of doing them both at the same time. I hate the idea of working on only one set. So, I am picking up bits and pieces of about a dozen sets with three sets being my main focus. If you like both the 51 Bowman and 56 Topps so much, go for it. It will be fun and the variety of the sets will keep you interested. As far as commons go, I LOVE commons. I know all about Mantle, Mays, etc..., but it is really fun to read about the Frank Sullivans and Gary Geigers of the world too. I think it is hilarious to read some of the comments that the card companies used to make a .220 hitter or a 7-19 pitcher sound like an All-Star.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    How about doing just the HOFers of each set? Im one who can be happy without the commons.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about doing just the HOFers of each set? Im one who can be happy without the commons. >>

this post sounds good to me.
    But if I were doing a complete set, do the 51s.56 has a lot of HOFers but the cards are so easy to find it seems... I think I see more 56s than any other 50s set. Not so for 51 bowmans. Plus the awesome rookies.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    It really sucks that there is no Mantle in the 1955 Topps. That's the best looking set of the 50s. Other than no Mantle, it meets your criteria perfect, and is a very small set with 210 cards.
  • Options
    Can I show my ignorance and ask why there is NO Mantle in the 54 or 55 Topps product?
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Mantle signed a contract with Bowman for 54 & 55. He could not appear on Topps cards. Though, he was on regional issues at the time.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    I may be late to the party but I would go with the '51s. Eye appeal is one of your main criteria, and they're incredible.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Ryan,
    I am in agreement with the 1951 Bowman. We have similar taste in cards because I have the 1956 set (100% raw) and I am thinking of starting the 1951 Bowman set as soon as I finish the 1960 set that I am almost finished with. Good luck with whatever you choose and keep us updated. A few of my pics.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    TJMAC-Thanks for answering my Mantle question.

Jim, Now I see why you need a case. Thats a sweet 56 set!
  • Options
    Well thanks for all of your input. I believe I have made a decision. I am taking any last minute mind changers as this has been a great discussion and everybody has been a great help. I have also gotten some great PM's.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    ok, so what was the decision?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    *My Next Set* - 51 Bowman or 56 Topps *Final Arguements*

I rest my case, your honor.image
  • Options
    I have gone with the 51 Bowman set. All of the 56 fans shouldn't be dissapointed in this decision. I choose the 51 set because it has probably my favorite card of all time (51 mays) and it also turned out to be a pretty clear better investment. I felt that if I was going to go with the 56's I'd have to go in PSA 8 and I wasn't going to put myself through that.

I apprecaite everybody's help. The 56 set may be a lower grade set that I collect raw for fun. My main focus is going to stay with 33 Goudey, but i'll post pics of any 51 bowmans that I pick up.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    hurrah! good choice. 1951 Bowman is a work of art. and I think you should go for a nice RAW 1956 topps set along the way image
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty much a no lose proposition. They're both nice sets. I'm more into the players from the '56 set but just judged on sheer aesthetics, the '51 Bowman is probably superior.
  • Options
    50 bowman has Robinson and Williams.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    good choice.

awesome set. If you accumulate some raw doubles ever shoot me a pm.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Giddyup and Good Luck!
  • Options
    BTW, Check out what BBCExchange is selling this week. High Grade 51 Bowman's!

LINK
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    good luck can't wait for the scans!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started