Home Sports Talk
Options

War of words between LeBron and Charles Barkley

LeBron James reacted strongly to Charles Barkley's comments that the Cavaliers star isn't showing respect for Cleveland fans and his teammates by discussing his possible free agency following the 2010 season.

"He's stupid. That's all I've got to say about that," James said Friday night before the Cavaliers' game against Golden State.

Barkley made the comments on TNT's NBA studio show and Dan Patrick's radio show.

"If I was LeBron James, I would shut the hell up," the Hall of Famer said on Patrick's show. "I'm a big LeBron fan. He's a stud. You gotta give him his props. I'm getting so annoyed he's talking about what he's going to do in two years. I think it's disrespectful to the game. I think it's disrespectful to the Cavaliers."

James, under contract for two more seasons, was bombarded with questions about his future when the Cavaliers visited New York to play the Knicks on Tuesday night.

The Cavaliers can offer him an extension as early as July 1, 2009. There has long been speculation James will eventually end up in one of the NBA's larger markets and the Knicks have cleared salary-cap space in anticipation of the 2010 free-agent class.

"I think July 1, 2010, is a very big day," James said when the Cavaliers were in New York. "It's probably going to be one of the biggest days in free-agent history in the NBA. So a lot of teams are gearing up to try to prepare themselves to be able to put themselves in position to get one of the big free-agent market guys."

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charles Barkley is right, Lebron should shut up and show some type of loyalty to Cleveland- at least while he is under contract.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Charles Barkley is right, Lebron should shut up and show some type of loyalty to Cleveland- at least while he is under contract. >>

Yes Lebron plays his azz off and is awesome, but he needs to think about what Charles said about his comments.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i think chuck is right also, labron is a cav and should act like one.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    LeBron should be quiet about it but I think it is going to be next to impossible as sports reporters are going to be hitting him
    with questions about leaving for the Knicks over and over again. Once the genie has been let out of the bottle how do you put it back in again?
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LeBron should be quiet about it but I think it is going to be next to impossible as sports reporters are going to be hitting him
    with questions about leaving for the Knicks over and over again. Once the genie has been let out of the bottle how do you put it back in again? >>

"I will discuss what I will be doing in 2010... in 2010. I am a Cavalier....hopefully if everything works out...I will retire a Cavalier. I am focusing my thoughts and energy into bringing Cleveland a long overdue championship."

-Lebron James

Wishful thinking quote on my part...but, a public comment like this would go along way in shutting reporters up.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>LeBron should be quiet about it but I think it is going to be next to impossible as sports reporters are going to be hitting him
    with questions about leaving for the Knicks over and over again. Once the genie has been let out of the bottle how do you put it back in again? >>

"I will discuss what I will be doing in 2010... in 2010. I am a Cavalier....hopefully if everything works out...I will retire a Cavalier. I am focusing my thoughts and energy into bringing Cleveland a long overdue championship."

-Lebron James

Wishful thinking quote on my part...but, a public comment like this would go along way in shutting reporters up. >>

Won't work, reporters will keep pestering him to talk about it even if he says he doesn't want to.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the hot air in the world from fans and the media won't stop or help happen what is inevitable. Lebron James will be a New York Knick. Lebron James LOVES New York. Its no secret. He can't wait to show up at Yankee Stadium on a regular basis.

By the way, I am a Nets fan and always have been. My opinion is not biased. image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine LeBron choosing the Knicks when they are as messed up as they are. The Knicks (like the Detroit Lions) need to move out many more career losers. Simply cutting off the head of these franchises isn't enough. Sub-500 and worst defense in the league so far (points allowed) isn't too appealing - don't be surprised if he's just using the Knicks to drive up the price. Don't forget, he's already a bazillioniare.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful - a rich superstar who will get richer, likely raising the cost of my beer.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    <likely raising the cost of my beer>

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooimage