Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need help with 1815 Canada Token

Hello,

I came across a HALF PENNY token that I think came from Canada. It is an 1815 token with George III facing to the right and "HALF PENNY TOKEN" around the rim. The Rev has a sitting warror with "GENUINE BRITISH COPPER" around the rim. Can anyone give me some info on this coin and value.

Thanks,
Raymond

Comments

• Options
    Ray
    It sounds like this is yours.

"Issued anonymously at the peak of private token circulation in Nova Scotia, this token stressed honest copper content and competed against the numerous forgeries which threatened confidence in copper currency. The first token is the work of Thomas Halliday while the others are attriguted to his apprentices."
    quoted from--Canadian Colonial Tokens by w.k.cross

There are 4 varieties ranging in value in fine from $15-55
    If you are interested in selling it please give me a pm. Hope this info helps-Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    Raymond,
    Your 1/2d. trader's currency token could also be an anonymous issue from England as well,as some varieties of these are known to have circulated there.

Can you please post up some photos?

Aidan.
  • Options
    I have attached scans of the coin. It is hard to scan a dark cooper coin. I can send photos to your e-mail address if need be.

Raymond
  • Options
    sorry, new to the attachments
  • Options
    Raymond,
    You should download this FREE photo editor to help you with editing your photos.

Your 1/2d. trader's currency token is an anonymous issue that could have circulated in both Canada & England in the same time period,as an English immigrant could have picked this up in change in England,& spent it in Canada.

Aidan.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Raymond,

Welcome to the greyside.

You've got a token attributed to Nova Scotia and catalogued as NS-25A1, 1815 halfpenny token / Genuine British Copper, large bust as distinguished by the very distinctive double chin, and 8 leaves on the laurel crown.

I would grade it as VG possibly Fine - your scans are a bit too dark to make out some details. Value C$9 - C$18.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay