Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you grade this Gobrecht? How do you know if it's real?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
image

image
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome coin
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭
    how did she get so worn out? was she lost in a river along w/ the one ring?
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stars or no stars?

    For some reason I really like the looks of it. image

    Ray
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    AG3 and I'm guessing it's real just cause I've never seen a decently counterfeited coin that appeared heavily worn.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭


    << <i>AG3 and I'm guessing it's real just cause I've never seen a decently counterfeited coin that appeared heavily worn. >>



    i agree with the grade but i have no idea on how to make sure it is
    legit. i guess i could have to compare it with legit examples until
    i was satisfied. weight would be quite useless to a point. any
    mint made markers would be long gone...

    i would also try to do the reverse... by looking at fakes and making sure
    they did not have the same things in common.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭


    << <i>how did she get so worn out? was she lost in a river along w/ the one ring? >>



    You think this fell out of Isildur's pocket when they nailed him at Gladden Fields?
  • Options
    Of course it's real. It says c gobrecht f., which means he made it.
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546 ✭
    WOW, JUST WOW!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275 ✭
    Is that the AG-3?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably someones pocket piece. Hard to believe a rare pattern circulated for so long that it was practically worn out.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FR2... I think it is alittle too worn for a 3

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Interesting....I love it and hate it at the same time.
    Becky
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    In an upcoming Stacks sale...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go FR-02 on grade.
    Based on the color, wear and the details that remain, I would say it's real. Real cool, too image

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a very low grade impaired proof out there?

    Like PR03 or something?

    Very cool coin.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options


    << <i>Probably someones pocket piece. Hard to believe a rare pattern circulated for so long that it was practically worn out. >>



    1836 dollars were not patterns. They were struck for, and released into circulation.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139 ✭
    AG03. Little doubt it is genuine. Have you seen a decent struck counterfeit of these? It was struck too as the wear indicates it. A cast copy would not have the same appearance. Highly interesting coin and very collectible.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    image
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>how did she get so worn out? was she lost in a river along w/ the one ring? >>



    image
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭
    i was thinking AG till i saw the reverse, so strong F2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file