Options

Bought a Napoleon 40 Francs, AN XI-A NGC MS62 today

paid $380. How'd I do?

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it hot?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I guess that I am not up on the series? I was not aware of a 40 Franc coin. Where was this coin issued? And what is the date? image -Dan
  • Options
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>image >>

That's the exact coin.
  • Options
    Is this a pattern? -Dan
  • Options

<< <i>I guess that I am not up on the series? I was not aware of a 40 Franc coin. Where was this coin issued? And what is the date? image -Dan >>

AN XI. Minted in Paris around 1802/3 I believe.
  • Options
    Considering that it is gold, even that I do not know what you have, I would have bought the thing for that price! -Dan
  • Options
    I still cannot find it in my Krause, but considering the 40 Franc coins I was able to find..... YOU SUCK!!!! -Dan
  • Options
    Lord M? -Dan
  • Options
    It's a regular issue, not a pattern.

It's also a common date for the type, and a complete rip. It's worth more like $1500.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    I think you got a steal. Even my 20 year old Krause puts an MS coin at 1200. (XF is 350, which still suggests you did pretty well).
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    Very nice I must say! Why is it askew in the holder though? -Dan
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

very nice! looks semi-prooflike too! I've always thought the Bonaparte were undervalued, compared to the historical significance they represent. Congrats, that is a great piece to own!

• Options
    These coins are dirt common up to about AU-53. Strictly uncirculated coins are very scarce, if not rare.

So you can get an XF or AU for a modest premium ($50-100) to melt, which is about $300. But GEN scored, big time!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Goldeneye .... you did very well, a steal indeed
    Congratulationsimage
  • Options
    A few years ago, there seemed to be a lot of these 40 franc coins around. I think they were part of the Nordic hoard.

Well, maybe NOT a lot of this one particular type.

They went through a lot of types:
    Premier Consul - bare headed Emperor of the Republic - Lauralated Emperor of the Republic - Lauralated Emperor of the Empire.
    At the same time the date was going from: Roman numerals - Arabic numerals, year of the Republic - Normal dating
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    What is a good deal on a Napoleon coin worth in XF to AU?

My Guess is the 20 Franc coins are a great deal at $200

while the 40 Franc ones are a steal at $360

I have a feeling that Napoleon coins do command a higher premium than the gold melt value when comparing it to common European gold coins. Off grade British sovereigns or Prussian gold are $15-25 above gold melt prices. The Napoleon are much more than that.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not see many Napoleon I coins that are low grade and slabbed on ebay. I would not buy one raw unless I can see it in person. The coins sell at a premium above gold melt value, so its too risky to buy one without it being slabbed. The Gold value one can fall back on would be far less than what one has to pay for it in the first place.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Lord M? -Dan >>

You rang?

I've never had a 40-franc, of Napoleon or anyone else. I've had a couple of the Napoleon 20-franc pieces, and sold one for my consignor not long ago.

You got that one in plastic, for $380?

Yeah, I guess you DO suck.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.