Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

USPS paid claim for "lost" submission

Just got off the phone to the automated indemnity claim office 800 number. The USPS is paying the full $1500 I insured my package for plus postage. I was real concerned when the coins I submitted coins to PCGS on 12-15 didn't show up. Had to wait till 1-15 to file a claim. Then I had to mail a form to PCGS to have them sign saying they didn't receive my package. The package included a bunch of Kennedy proofs and SMS (65 - 67) coins, including a 65 that was cameo. I didn't have receipts for purchase, but I did include my opinion of grade in the claim package, along with a copy of the PCGS daily price guide. Here's to the claims office in St.Louis, they paid without a single question or any more supporting price info. I really would rather have had the coins than the cash, I think the 65 might have scored DCAM. Still, I've heard horror stories about the post office refusing to ship coins, or requiring the shipper to provide appraisals (hard to do if the coins are lost), or other price support. I know Airplanenut said his post office really hassled him about shipping money. Someone at the USPS ain't all bad.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Comments

• Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    Last month some of my coins failed to arrive at PCGS and I have since been reimbursed for the full amount of the insurance ($400). Now another small package of coins insured for the same amount is almost 30 days late. I send using registered mail for the more valuable coins and have never had a problem. Hope they catch the thief soon.
  • Options
    Wow you two are lucky. I had to go through hoops just to file a claim for less than $2 (that's right, less than 2 bucks) for merchandise (not coins) that was damaged in shipment. I'd hate to think what I'd have to do at my local post office to file a claim for the kind of money and under the circumstances you're talking. They told me that I might get my money in a couple of months . . or more. Geez.
  • Options
    Sounds like its time for you guys to go to a different post office. They might be on to what you are sending. I have had questions about why I send my package with so much insurance, I just dont answer.

They may have figured out what you are sending, and the word has gotten out that packages labeled "PCGS" are *stealable*

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad they didn't loose my crossovers, I don't think the USPS would just write a check for $45,000. I had a coin get damaged (they cracked the PCGS holder) and they paid to have it reslabbed, plus $2000 because it dropped a grade due to the damage.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The USPS will not pay over $25,000 regardless of how much insurance you pay for. You had better know this before you send something more valuable than this.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    My worst experience - I was sending a boatload of coins in for crossover and insured the package for $23K. Bought some stamps and other stuff while I was there so I really didn't pay attention to the total I paid. Later that day, I looked at the receipt and the clerk typed in $2,300 for the insurance value, not $23,000. I was sweating that one out for awhile.

I clearly wrote 23,000 in the space on the form. I'm sure it would have been interesting to see how they wuold have handled that one.

Fortunate to say, I have never had a problem with the USPS and their registered service.
  • Options
    Has anyone contacted PCGS to find out if they have been contacted regarding a problem with the post office in Newport? Given they only list a P.O. box , it's impossible to use another service other thaan USPS.

• Options
    DHeath, can you explain exactly how you included proof of value to the Post Office? I am compiling documents and putting together a letter to accompany my package, shipped on March 5th. I sent PCGS the claim form today for them to sign, but I would really like to know how to word the letter explaining that I have no receipts but this is the value of the coins.

Thanks for any info.
    A newbie to collecting...but recognize the value of PCGS grading.
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Wow! I thought I was the only one that had coins get lost, aka stolen, this month! Clearly, something fishy is going on at the USPS. Is there anything we can do? I am in the process of filing my claim right now...what a pain in the ars.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    DHeath,

Glad to see that everything worked out for you. In my experience, the key is making it past the regional area. Once the claim gets to St Louis, things go smoothly. However, the claims seem to get held up too often at the local post office or at the regional processing center.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Im still waiting on payment for the lost pr70 washington that was sent insured, priority mail. my last communication was with the st louis claims processing center about a week or so ago -- they asked me to resubmit the photo copy of the postal money order I used to pay the seller. it seems they lost the first photo copy sent to them by my local post office which processed the claim.

cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Mansco wrote: Has anyone contacted PCGS to find out if they have been contacted regarding a problem with the post office in Newport? Given they only list a P.O. box , it's impossible to use another service other thaan USPS.

In fact, I spoke with one of the managers at the Newport Beach post office and they are well aware that the box belongs to PCGS and valuable packages go through there. They strongly suggest that only registered packages be sent there. by the way, my missing pr70 washington never made it to the newport beach post office and was lost somewhere after I presented it to my local post office clerk. since it was not registered it's hard to tell where it went astray.

cheers, alan mendelson