Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coins of the British Commonwealth - British Caribbean Territories (Eastern Group).

Here's another section that will be of interest to those who are collecting the coins of British America.This time,it is about the coins of the British Caribbean Territories (Eastern Group),which was a currency union that issued coins between 1955 & 1965,but the coins remained in circulation until being withdrawn & replaced by the coins of the East Caribbean States in 1981.

The 2 rarest coins in the series are the 1958 1/2 Cent & the 1965 50 Cents.I have got both coins in my collection.

If you do have any coins of the British Caribbean Territories (Eastern Group),please feel free to post up some photos.

Aidan.

Comments

• Options
    The Al/BZ dollar KM 6 1981 and 86 is another one hard to find in high grade. You are right the 1/2 cent is probably the hardest of the bunch. KM 7 and 6 are in the old franklin mint coins of the world sets if anyone remebers them.

Mark
  • Options
    Mark,
    The only coin of the British Caribbean Territories (Eastern Group) that is in those 'Coins of All Nations' sets is the very scarce 1965 50c. coin.It was through picking up one of those that I got the coin.

The 1955 1/2c. coin is quite common.Try looking for the 1958 1/2c. coin.I looked for years without success,until the other week.A dealer in Australia had one on his list for a really cheap price,so I bought it.It finally arrived in yesterday's courier delivery.

Aidan.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I ended up getting three of these from a bulk lot of assorted world coins. Well used, for sure. They are cool. I think I recieved a 5, 10 and 25 cent piece. I have not looked at them in several months and now can't recall for sure.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, must dig as I seem to recall a couple of these '58s sitting around in one of my boxes = hopefully not early Alzheimer's....I think the '65 50c was available in some hard plastic sets that were not proofs = possible restrike PLs?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Eric,
    The 1965 50c. coin has a mintage of under 150,000 coins,which indicates that it is quite scarce,but not as scarce as the 1958 1/2c. coin though.

Aidan.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there was a report of 10 proofs of the 1/2 c of this date, but over the years have seen enough that this may be an underestimate. I do wonder in general about the "VIP" Royal Mint Proofs, and think production was variable and some less, some more scarce than reported or generally thought.

Well, not to redirect the post.

I think the 2c coins are also very nice indeed as they are of large format and may not be so common in Red Unc.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    I think there must be something wrong with the mintage figures on that 1958 half-cent because I have several in BU that I bought in the 70's from Littleton and I didn't pay that much for. What is the going price for BUY specimens of this 200 mintage coin these days?
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    John,
    When you bought the 1958 1/2c. coins back in the 1970's,they were considered to be a 'sleeper' coin,as it was prior to the British Commonwealth coin collectors jumping on the bandwagon,& creating a demand,& up went the price.I bought mine off a dealer in Australia for NZ$3.50 - what a bargain!

Aidan.
  • Options
    Interesting info there. I wonder if the 200 mintage is indeed correct. If so it is one of my rarest coins then.image
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py