Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

did Mantle make a mistake or is this a fixer upper?

I like collecting a few things from Mickey Mantle wearing the number 6 , which was his original number he wore before getting sent back down to the minors after a short stint in the majors during his rookie season. Anyways on Ebay ( not mine) right now is this autographed jersey in which the inscriptions appears to be fixed , repaired , what ever you want to call it . So my question is who made the mistake or who made the repair . Was it Mickey or someone else ? no explanation on the auction which makes me believe that this booboo reduces the value of this item , does it make it a counterfiet ?

Mickey Ebay auction,take a look at all the pictures
640K ought to be enough for anyone.
-Bill Gates,1981

"With hurricanes,tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,& with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks,"Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"" Jay Leno 2006

Comments

• Options
    Honestly, we'll never be able to answer that question for sure. To me, I would not want to own it due to the fact that it has a questionable area on the inscription, and it would bug me to no end. Nice piece, but I am pretty picky when it comes to this kind of stuff.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    15k? yeah ok.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Mick signed that back in his drinking days?

Brian
  • Options
    Actually, the more I look at it, it may have just been a funky way that the piece was numbered. It looks as if a line was drawn above and below the "6", and it might not be that it was changed from a "7" to a "6". Look closer on how it was numbered. Then again, it could have been altered it in that way to throw someone off as well. I'd like to see another one from a different collection, to compare them, to see how other UDA jerseys were numbered on the "6".
  • Options
    When Mantle first appeared with the Yankees, he wore No. 6 before going back down to the minors for a little more seasoning. When The Mick resurfaced, he was issued No. 7. Generations knew Mantle as No. 7 but for a short time he wore a different digit.

the mick jersey #6
    "Don't ban me because i'm beautiful" - Me

"oh, it's not good enough for you, but it's good enough for me" - homer j. simpson