Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Opinions on Italy 5 lira 1911R

What do you think about this coin on E bay?

Mark

5 Lira 1911

Comments

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Yikes! - Expensive
    I'd never pay the BIN price of $2,424.49 with that coin outside of a reputable holder.

Edit: With the above said I'd love to find it in a bargain box for melt$ image
    great design, I've an MS example of the 10 Centesimi denomination that I love.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very tough coin and the demand for this coin is very high. I wish I had one. I think the price is reasonable, and I think the coin is not a counterfeit. The problem I have is the obverse image and whether there is a wipe across the portrait. If there is, then all bets are off. The owner of this one should have it slabbed because it would put to rest the fears that some would have.

This is truly one of the classic 20th century designs. The design alone is why I collect world coins and some Italian when the price is right

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I do not know this series at all but i do like the design.

I checked the sellers feedback and his last 4-5 sells were much much lower value items.
    That may not mean anything but for that amount I would want to see the coin in hand.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    You have to be very careful when buying these coins.

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    It appears to have lots of hairlining. I would bet that the grade is more xf than au as his auction suggests. -Dan
  • Options
    How reputable is the grading co that graded this coin? -Dan
  • Options
    As far as I can tell it is a raw coin. Not graded by any service
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Look at the bottom picture, it is graded.
  • Options
    Isn't that like a certification you get from the mint? I think it is.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell that's just a privately issued (not mint-issued) certificate of authenticity and not a grade opinion. Having said that, I wouldn't bid on the coin because you can get a similar piece in a PCGS/NGC slab for about the same price. Why take the risk?
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Very tough coin and the demand for this coin is very high. I wish I had one. I think the price is reasonable, and I think the coin is not a counterfeit. The problem I have is the obverse image and whether there is a wipe across the portrait. If there is, then all bets are off. The owner of this one should have it slabbed because it would put to rest the fears that some would have.

This is truly one of the classic 20th century designs. The design alone is why I collect world coins and some Italian when the price is right >>

spot on. The design is truly classic, and also one of the reasons I gravitate almost exclusively to world coins. The price is so-so IF it is problem free. Without seeing it in hand though, i'd pass.

• Options
    Thanks for the replies guy's. I have this coin already in my collection graded AU 55 and was looking at this one as a upgrade. I guess I will pass on this one. Your right in that you don't see many comming up for sale. Here are some pics of the one I have before it went out to be graded.

Mark
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, recall a "friend" getting one about two years ago in Heritage sale MS63 NGC for about 2300 with the juice - that coin is really nice and looks to have another counterfeiter's delight the 1914 5L for company!!!This coin's porosity on surface with hairlines is a bit worrisome I would say.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not quite as rare, but gold and a large denomination is the 50 Lire:

And this one is authenticated.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, nice = always wanted one of those.

Beautiful coin!!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    That's a tough call. I'm inclined to believe it is genuine, but I'd really like to see better pics. While I don't see porosity, I also don't see luster and it looks as though it may have been lightly cleaned and has quite a few small hits - altogether making it iffy whether a US service would grade it better than your current example or at all. Yeah, these don't come along all too often in high grades, but this one isn't such a deal that I'd take the risk without more info and assurances.

As to the certification, those who follow Italian coins will see this sort of thing a lot. Lots of major dealers over there offer their own authentication services. They seal the coins in a flip with their guarantee note often using distinctive rivets. The website for the dealer who graded this piece can be found here. I can't seem to find any explanation of the Italian system in English (maybe something to do when I'm bored!) but here's a search that turns up more authenticators. Most are reputable, but it is very, very subjective... you really have to know the dealer's reputation and how he grades to judge the usefulness of the certification.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    What a wonderfull design...I love the Italian coins, my great grandfather spent the first 15 years of his life in Italy...1900-1915. He could have handled these very coins!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History