Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NYINC Lots are trickling in . . . 1933 Penny, anyone ???

1933 Lavrillier

Heritage is slowly posting lots.....maybe images by next week. Things are semi-sorted by Rex at this time, but no lot #s, per se. Bidding scheduled to open 12/16.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Lavrillier bit is NOT Royal Mint and I can not for the life of me see the prices it has fetched. I see some other stuff I like in the sale however...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    should be exciting... there are some attractive coins being offered

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That Lavrillier bit is NOT Royal Mint and I can not for the life of me see the prices it has fetched. I see some other stuff I like in the sale however... >>

Recognition and Pedigree.

P2284 + Fr786 + Bertram Mackennal + Norweb = $$$$$ image

Still awaiting the images (poor quality that they'll most likely be) - maybe tonight.

I wish I could spring for that 1883 POR Florin. imageimageimage
  • Options
    Understood, but remember Jackie Kennedy's junk - sold for money because of that, but still junk....

Looks rude and crude, maybe because it is.

Was that a proof florin Mac, and an ex- Spink??

Also what did the 1856 ms 66 florin sell for last time - flipper it looks to be?

Looks like many of those 30's era VIP proof did not sell (in Goldberg as I recall).
  • Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Recognition and pedigree do not always guarantee a coin will do well. In fact, I believe that Colin Adams, who is now part of that pedigree, once wrote that he lost a significant amount in his own sale of this particular coin.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how did this Lavrillier penny come to exist?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    It's a pattern. Why it came to exist I do not know. It is not one of the "seven."

The design of the obverse, a "military" appearance as described by Collector Coins, does not appeal to me.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Lavrillier pattern just looks crude, not even as good as those bits for sale on ebay - you know, the 1937 and 1952 modern "redoes". At least they are cheaper.

I think it begs the issue of private issues in the English series - the Moores, Weyls, etc. which I just can not fathom and have kept off with a ten foot pole except for one time mistaking a silver Moore based on the description.

Well, more power to the buyer of this one!