Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 Fleer Update Complete Set UNCUT SHEET - pics added of more Fleer sheets. Would like more feedba

When I have more time, I will start a totally different thread on this topic, but I have acquired some pretty rare stuff. I have acquired a collection of uncut sheets that apparently came from an employee of the Fleer Corporation. This 1984 Fleer Update Complete Set Sheet comes from this collection. I have 2 of these. I am keeping one, and will be selling this one.

Some of the uncut sheets are pretty remarkable. Let me just say this, I have one uncut sheet complete set that is so rare that every card in this set is 1 of 1. There was only one print run to be put into packs. Both the SCD Standard and Becket say that this set has only one print run. Apparently there was 2 print runs because I have an entire uncut sheet. But more on that later in another thread. I would love to get into it now, but I don't have time. I did, however, want to take time to show this.

Here it is. There are a few wrinkles. The Clemens is not hurt at all. The bottom of the sheet right under the Pucket has a wrinkle that goes almost up to the blue bar. It does not hit the blue bar, but it almost certainly would be on the bottom white border of the card. Here it is.

Has anybody ever seen one? I haven't.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Honestly, Didnt know these even exsisted any longer. Very cool. I love this set.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    How much do you want for it?

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>I have one uncut sheet complete set that is so rare that every card in this set is 1 of 1. There was only one print run to be put into packs. Both the SCD Standard and Becket say that this set has only one print run. Apparently there was 2 print runs because I have an entire uncut sheet. >>

I worked for a commercial printer for 7 years doing prepress work. Even if the printer ends up using just 1 sheet, they are going to print at least a hundred sheets before they get the color just right, all of these sheets are called "make-ready's". I have seen jobs have a 500 sheets go through the press before the customer is satisfied. Of course all of these "make-ready's" are usually thrown in the garbage, but in the card world, i am sure a few slip through.

Funny thing is about all this stuff, is the most rare item in the whole printing process would be the color proofs and the plates if a small run. Probably only one of those made. Large run jobs could have multiple sets of plates.

And on all jobs press sheets would be saved as samples. I knew a pressman that took 50 or so press sheets of a 500 limited edition art print of Marylyn Monroe. Thats 10% of the stated run!

Anyway, it is safe to say that even a set of 1 of 1's has uncut material somewhere!
  • Options
    Forgot to say:

Nice sheet! I love uncut sheets, still kick myself for not buying an 89 Upper Deck sheet with Griffey in the upper left corner years ago for $100.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have one uncut sheet complete set that is so rare that every card in this set is 1 of 1. There was only one print run to be put into packs. Both the SCD Standard and Becket say that this set has only one print run. Apparently there was 2 print runs because I have an entire uncut sheet. >>

I worked for a commercial printer for 7 years doing prepress work. Even if the printer ends up using just 1 sheet, they are going to print at least a hundred sheets before they get the color just right, all of these sheets are called "make-ready's". I have seen jobs have a 500 sheets go through the press before the customer is satisfied. Of course all of these "make-ready's" are usually thrown in the garbage, but in the card world, i am sure a few slip through.

Funny thing is about all this stuff, is the most rare item in the whole printing process would be the color proofs and the plates if a small run. Probably only one of those made. Large run jobs could have multiple sets of plates.

And on all jobs press sheets would be saved as samples. I knew a pressman that took 50 or so press sheets of a 500 limited edition art print of Marylyn Monroe. Thats 10% of the stated run!

Anyway, it is safe to say that even a set of 1 of 1's has uncut material somewhere! >>

Party pooper! image Seriously, that is good information. Still, they have to be pretty rare.

Shane

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Nice sheet

I had seen a few in the 80s but none since. Im sure its quite rare and of course it is desirable.
  • Options
    A card shop I frequented in the late 1980s/early 1990s had an uncut sheet of these, but that's the last one I'd seen. After the local/state authorities closed the shop down, I don't know what happened to it...
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    niiiice

too bad roger clemens had to go & screw things up.

still cool cardboard.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    That set is one of my favorites and is a true classic. Also looks very 80s. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I'll bite. When are you going to tell us about this other set? Please advise -- enquiring minds want to know.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    im sharpening my xacto knife as we speak.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll bite. When are you going to tell us about this other set? Please advise -- enquiring minds want to know. >>

I don't have time to post the pictures. I will do that later tonight.

The specific one that I was talking about above comes from the 2004 Fleer Legacy set.

First of all, I have an uncut complete set sheet of the base 2004 Fleer Legacy. The non short prints set high books for $100. This is the complete set with the SPs.

On top of that, there is a 2004 Fleer Legacy GOLD complete set sheet. The print run on those sets were 50. This set books 4 to 6 times the base set.

Now, when I was taking pictures, I thought this next uncut sheet set was a duplicate of the regular base sheet because it looks so similar. Then, I noticed that it had "ULTIMATE LEGACY" on it. I said, "Hmmm". I looked it up and in both the SCD Standard and Beckett, it says there there is no pricing due to scarcity - print run of 1.

Some of the other highlights of this UNCUT SHEET COMPLETE SET collection is -

2003 Fleer Avant - set books at $240

2003 Fleer Avant Black and White - set books at 4 to 6 times base

1994 Flair Hot Gloves (4 sets on a sheet) - one set books at $40

1997 Flair Hot Gloves (2 sheets; 1 set per sheet; die cut) - one set books at $125

1997 Ultra Hitting Machines Die Cut - set books at $60; one the same sheet with a 4 sets of 97 Ultra Thunderclap - books at $20 each

2002 Fleer Showcase Legacy Derek Jeter (22 cards) - books at $80

(All on one sheet) - 2003 Fleer Tradition Update Long gone (one set) - books at $60; 2003 Fleer Tradition Update Diamond Debuts (one set) books at $40; 2003 Fleer Tradition Update Milestones (2 sets) - books at $25; 2003 Fleer Tradition Update Turn Back The Clock (one set) - books at $75

1997 Ultra Top 30 (3 sets on this sheet) books at $40. Also, there is the die cut gold version that books for 2.5 to 6 times. I also have the die cut gold version that is embossed. Not sure if these were supposed to be embossed or not. The guides do not mention it, so I am assuming that this is a test sheet or something.

There is also one more 84 Fleer Update sheet that I will be keeping.

There is much more, but that's all I have time to list. I was excited to get it all. Not sure how they will do, but I believe these are scarce. I will post pictures later.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Shane

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    you could always consider shipping it off to reputable trimmers rather than taking things into your own hands.

muhahaha

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Now that Thanksgiving Day is over, I have some time to post these pictures. Again, these are all Fleer sheets.

I will do these one post per sheet, so it will take several posts

1994 Flair Hot Gloves (4 sets on a sheet) - one set books at $40.

Shane

• Options
    1997 Flair Showcase Diamond Cuts - set books at $55.

Shane

• Options
    1997 Flair Showcase Hot Gloves (I have 2 sheets; one not pictured; 1 set per sheet; die cut) - one set books at $125.

I have no idea why there is a Reggie White football card on this sheet. It is on both sheets that I have. These are very fragile because they can be "popped" out.

Shane

• Options
    This is a very unique item. I am only giving my guess as to what it is. If someone can shed more light on this, feel free. Apparently, this is some sort of test sheet when they were trying out different designs for 1997 Fleer and 1997 Fleer Ultra. It appears there were ever 2 designs that had a white border (because the picture is smaller). The backs were even different.

This would be a great collectible for a Manny Ramirez collector.

Shane

• Options
    1997 Ultra Hitting Machines Die Cut - set books at $60; one the same sheet with a 4 sets of 97 Ultra Thunderclap - books at $20 each

Shane

• Options
    1997 Ultra Top 30 (3 sets on this sheet) books at $40. Also, there is the die cut gold version that books for 2.5 to 6 times. I also have the die cut gold version that is embossed. Not sure if these were supposed to be embossed or not. The guides do not mention it, so I am assuming that this is a test sheet or something.

Gold version

Gold Embossed version

Shane

• Options
    2002 Fleer Fall Classic sheet - set books at $30.

Shane

• Options
    2002 Fleer Showcase Legacy Derek Jeter (22 cards) - books at $80.

Shane

• Options
    cool stuff, keep em coming image
  • Options
    2003 Fleer Avant - set books at $240. I only have a half-set/half sheet.

Shane

• Options
    2003 Fleer Avant Black and White - set books at 4 to 6 times base of $240 ($960 to $1,440). This is a complete set. The one of all of these sheets that is not a complete set is the one above (2003 Fleer Avant color).

Shane

• Options
    All on one sheet -

2003 Fleer Tradition Update Long gone (one set) - books at $60

2003 Fleer Tradition Update Diamond Debuts (one set) books at $40

2003 Fleer Tradition Update Milestones (2 sets) - books at $25

2003 Fleer Tradition Update Turn Back The Clock (one set) - books at $75

Shane

• Options
    The next few posts will the one that is the Fleer Legacy, Fleer Gold Legacy, and Fleer Ultimate Legacy that I was referring to.

First of all, here is an uncut complete set sheet of the base 2004 Fleer Legacy. The non short prints set high books for $100. This is the complete set with the SPs, so it is approximately a $150 set.

This sheet also has the Hit Kings Complete Set on it. I cannot find a set value on this. Beckett has 3 or 4 cards listed, but it doesn't have a set value. The Pujols books for $5, so I would assume that this is a $20 to $30 set.

Shane

• Options
    i really like the AVANT cards. sharp.
  • Options
    This is the 2004 Fleer Legacy GOLD complete set sheet. The print run on those sets were 50. This set books 4 to 6 times the base set which would be approximately $600 to $900.

Shane

• Options
    This is the main one that I was referring to.

When I was taking pictures, I thought this was a duplicate sheet of the regular 2004 Fleer Legacy without the Hit Kings. While renaming the pictures on my computer, I noticed that it had "Ultimate Legacy" on each card. When I looked it up, I was stunned. I looked it up and in both the SCD Standard and Beckett, it says there there is no pricing due to scarcity - print run of 1.

Here it is.

Shane

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Shane:

For those sets that have defined print runs [of 50 and 1], I'm assuming that your uncut sheets are not serially numbered then, correct? Are they final, true copies of the cards?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    No, they are not serial numbered, but I think they are true copies.

Shane

• Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff. I'd love to hear the story behind the Reggie White cards on the 1997 Flair Showcase Hot Gloves sheet.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    I posted these over the holidays. Maybe some of you didn't see it. I wanted to bump this thread to possibly get some more feedback.

Shane

• Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Great sheets. That 84 Fleer Update is amazing.

I really like uncut stuff, but have been deterred from collecting it because there's no good way to display it. I have a huge flat file but it's not big enough for most sheets, so they get relegated to tubes where they sit for years. I sold a couple that I had but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of demand.

Edit: How do you store your stuff?
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Will these be listed on eBay?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    FLEER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only have these 9 card partial sheets. Cut from 132 cards sheets (not by me)

FF

Black Scribbleimage

Black Box

All Black Box

Not mine image Owner wants $1000

I passed on one for $40 years back. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Will these be listed on eBay? >>

Possibly. I am looking to move some of them eventually. Not sure how I want to do it yet.

Shane

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    I use top loaders for my uncut sheets (132 cards). I got them from one of the folks out of a Tuff Stuff mag. I have a uncut set of 2000 Fleer Tradition football. There were 100 uncut sheet redemption cards good for one uncut sheet so the max number of sets would be 25 sets. Fleer sent me the first sheet in a huge top loader.
  • Options
    How much were those top loaders and where could I get some?

Shane

• Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Just FYI - I'd go with the BCW ones. Ultra-Pro toploaders are not necessarily safe for long-term storage. BCW claims "the PVC used in BCW Toploads contain no plasticizers or stearates. Our high impact grade PVC does not migrate and will not harm your cards, photos or prints, while offering maximum protection and visual appeal." UP makes no similar claims.