Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Awesome Large Papal Medal *Large pic warning*

Years ago I owned this variety and after years of searching I once again found her.
This one will stay with me for a while.
Let me enter a brief description of this piece.
This bronze medal is huge. It measures 82 mm in diameter and 8-9 mm in thickness.

"Consecration of the Restored Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls
Obverse: Bust of Pius IX facing left, wearing zucchetto, mozzetta, and decorative stole. Around, PIVS IX PONT · MAX ·. Below, I · BIANCHI F ·.
Reverse: Interior view of the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls, looking down the central nave towards the apse. Around the border, PIVS · IX · P · M · BASILICAM · PAVLI · APOST · AB · INCENDIO · REFECTAM · SOLEMNI · RITV · CONSECRAVIT · IV · ID · DEC · MDCCCLIV. In exergue, AL · POLETTI · ARCH · INV ·. At the base of the floor, I · BIANCHI · FECIT ·.

Medal issued to commemorate the consecration of the Basilica of Saint Paul by Pius IX in 1854 and was created by Giuseppe Bianchi. The reverse of the medal features a stunning three-dimensional engraving of the central nave of the reconstructed basilica. The architect of the reconstruction, Luigi Poletti, is mentioned on the reverse in the exergue inscription. The date of the consecration (December 10, 1854) is provided on the reverse using the Julian calendar (IV · ID · DEC · MDCCCLIV). The reverse inscription can be translated as "Basilica of the Apostle Paul, from the Fire to Solemnity by the Ceremony of Consecration".

Historical Background: The Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls was nearly completely destroyed by a fire on July 15, 1823. It is believed that the fire was caused by a negligent workman repairing the lead on the basilica's roof. The reconstruction was a major event, with various countries contributing. The basilica reopened in 1840, but was not fully completed until 1931 when the central bronze doors were installed. The transept was consecrated during the 1840 reopening by the current pontiff, Gregory XVI. The basilica as a whole was not consecrated until December 10, 1854 by Pius IX. The reconstruction work was begun under Pasquale Belli and completed under Luigi Poletti. Unfortunately, during the reconstruction, much of the original basilica and frescoes were lost. "
Obverse
Reverse
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments