Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

how can i go about building a 1968 topps baseball set?

well before i used to be into collecting, then it became a buisness, now the only cards/memorbilia i have are whats in my personal collection, which is no more than 15 items. i recently bought a 1968 topps nolan ryan/jerry koosman rookie in poor condition (after everyone talked about the card for a month!!!!), and after a week or so after i bought and received the card i have decided on possibly building this set as my new project (this would be my second set project, first was 89 upper deck set back in the day). anyways, the set books for $2500, and i cant afford this but i want to build it, so i was thinking of getting the set in poor condition like my ryan/koosman rookie, i was planning on spending about $200 on the complete set (without the mantle, clemente, bench, aaron, mays, maris), which without those 6 cards and the ryan i have, the set comes up to be about $1000 in nrmt, so in poor/good condition i should be able to get this for about $200, right?? any help on how or where i could get the cards? obviously ebay, but i dont want to buy them one by one, just in lots of 100+, but their still going for alot. any help would be appreciated. if i could afford it, yes i would get a better version, but with the money situation and from choosing a set to build, i want to build the 1968 set.
"Don't ban me because i'm beautiful" - Me

"oh, it's not good enough for you, but it's good enough for me" - homer j. simpson

Comments

• Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Good set choice. You may want to try the buy/sell board and see if anyone has a large lot of low grade to sell. It is worth a shot. Also, I would keep looking on Ebay, you are bound to see lots available for sale at the right price. Take your time in building the set and you may be able to upgrade from a poor-fair set to a vg ot vg/ex. I don't think you are in too much of a hurry right?
  • Options
    i'm in no hurry, though i would like to get atleast a 100 cards or so in the next couple of weeks, just to start a base of it. i dont want to start with like 10 or 20, want to have a handfull of cards. i'm no longer collecting or buying/selling in a buisness aspect, it will be rare if i buy anything, tired of the new crap and inflation of game used and autos and rookies. i've been out of the sports card hobby for about 5 years, just got back into it, and want to spend time on collecting as i used to do as a kid, but with a vintage set, and i want it to be the 1968 topps set, the only other set that i really want to build is the 1962 topps, love the woodgrain border, but that will definitely cost alot to build, even in poor/good condition, that set is loaded.

"oh, it's not good enough for you, but it's good enough for me" - homer j. simpson
  • Options
    i would check the board, but i doubt anyone would have 25+ cards in poor condition, maybe no more than 5 at most.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    all kind of 68 commons in my store for 1$ each ,and they arent junkers either
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

check out ebay I saw about 3 or 4 lots that prolly will go cheap.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I gots about 30 if you want em, in about ex condition. Leftover from Ttm requests.

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    My goal this year was to build a 1960 set. Initially, I was going to do it all raw, but as I got to the high dollar cards, I realized I could buy nice PSA 6 & 7s for a good value compared to raw prices. I bought a few "set lots" on ebay, mostly commons and minor stars. I bought some more to upgrade at shows, from ebay on complete your set auctions, and thru the BST, especially from nam, who has very fair pricing. I'm down to 2 cards to go, Maris All Star, and Duke Snider, and I am done. I'd like to upgrade a few, including the Mantle (350), but I can live with what I have for now. It's been a fun project, and I'm trying to decide on next years project.

It might be cheaper to buy a complete set, but I enjoy learning about the history of the set and the players as I build it.

Whatever you choose, have fun doing it.
    Mike

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    qtisco,

The '68 is a nice set. I just recently sold my 100% complete '68 PSA graded set (~#15 on The Registry) and I DO MISS IT! I still have some raw '68s around the house. The cards are not in poor/good condition, but they are not Mint either.

I always like to help out a fellow collector if i can, so I'll tell ya what I'll do. Send me a PM with your name and address. I'll get a group of '68s out to you in the mail over the weekend. Once you get them YOU decide what they are worth to you and then send me payment. Sound good?

Stay Healthy!

Doug

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been noticing a decrease on sales on the 68 set, which is good for the buyers of course. If you were looking at buying nice graded 68's then I would go with all 7's they are not that expensive. If you were wanting poor raw cards and build set the I would just buy big lots or maybe a poor condition set so that you would not have to worry about finding some of the hard commons.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Wow, I thought he was so excited getting this card!
  • Options
    buy a big raw lot on Ebay, in mid grade and do some swapping here with fellow board members, that is by far the most fun and satisfying approach in my book. The guys here are great to trade with.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    still plenty in my storeimage
  • Options
    well, i really wanted this card, an i was willing to pay $100 to $150, then i saw this, i haven't seen a single ryan/koosman rookie go for under $100, except a cut out one for $32.50. i might get this card signed by both players and pay the signing fee, but i'd rather get it on a better card, like a psa 1.5 or 2 card. so basically, yeah i want to upgrade, $23 for the card was a steal, and so far all the offers have been under $30, so for now im just going to keep the card and buy another ryan/koosman in the next couple of weeks to get it signed for my ttm project.