Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

plasma or lcd?

opinions please
"I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough

Comments

• Options
    Lsd I mean LCD.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Just got a 42" HD LCD today from Best Buy. Brand is Dynex, price was only 699.99. Replaced a 10 year old RCA so the difference to me is incredible. I'm not much of a TV person, but can't wait to settle in tonight and watch the top 10 Fighting Irish in action against the top ranked Tar Heels. Gonna be a fun football watching weekend as well.

Looks like one of the best buys I've made in a while for family enjoyment.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    If you plan on playing XBox or PS3 on it then go with LCD
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Looks like one of the best buys I've made in a while for family enjoyment. .."

/////////////////

Yup. Prices are really getting nice.

LCD is a little cheaper. Plasma is a little better --- to the eye of an experienced videophile.

Plasma costs substantially more electricity to operate; not very "green," but they are working on that.

WMT has SONY stuff priced nice.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    LCD

Plasma burns out and if you don't have protection plan then you will have to always face the "black dots" on the screen...............
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    bought a new Samsung 52" 120mhz 1080p LCD last weekend.

Went from a DLP that I've had for the last 3 1/2 years to this and I must say I'm completely blown away by the picture on this thing.

Watching Dark Knight on Bluray on this is like I'm sitting behind the camera lens during the filming of it
  • Options
    I give plasma once a month.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i give plasma once a month too bill-to buy lsd or stp,im old schoolimage
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    My vote... LCD

Plasma has slightly (IMO) color, specifically the levels of Black.
    Besides their hungry power consumption (literally more than twice the LCD), keep in mind that Plasmas cannot AND I MEAN CANNOT be tilted, laid down flat, or set up on their sides!
    Plasmas work better in poorly lit rooms too. Glare is a HUGE problem due to their glossy (glass-like) surfaces... no worry with the LCD.
    If this is a living room it's going in, does it have windows? If so, you will have glare.

Again.. my vote, LCD. Save a couple bucks, be greener, and worry less about transporting it around.
    Either way you go, you'll be happy.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I went with a Samsung plasma, but that was almost 2 years ago. Today's LCD pictures are incredible and don't use anywhere near the power of a Plasma. Best recommendation is to go and look at all of the tv's and see what looks best to your eyes as everyone has a little different preference. Of course go with a good brand too.

Brian
  • Options
    ndfan1ndfan1 Posts: 178 ✭✭
    If it's going in a room with a lot of natural light, I would buy LCD. A darker room like a basement, I would buy Plasma. I have a Plasma and I love it!!!
    Currently Collecting 1975 Topps Football PSA 9's - 10's
  • Options
    goyegoye Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Im hearing its LCD by Visio.....yea or nay
    1985-86 O Pee Chee PSA 910 Hockey
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

<< <i>bought a new Samsung 52" 120mhz 1080p LCD last weekend.

Went from a DLP that I've had for the last 3 1/2 years to this and I must say I'm completely blown away by the picture on this thing.

Watching Dark Knight on Bluray on this is like I'm sitting behind the camera lens during the filming of it >>

Did the Dark Knight even come out yet? =P
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I went with a Samsung plasma, but that was almost 2 years ago. Today's LCD pictures are incredible and don't use anywhere near the power of a Plasma. Best recommendation is to go and look at all of the tv's and see what looks best to your eyes as everyone has a little preference. Of course go with a good brand too.

Brian >>

Brian's recommendation to go and look at all of the tv's and see what looks best to your eyes, is probably some of the best advice. I might add to find what looks best to your eyes and to your pocketbook. I wouldn't necessarily go for the "brand names" as there are some great bargains in the off-brand models that get rave reviews for their value. I typically don't buy into the brand names (except for cars as I love Porsche) as a lot of times you are simply paying additional for their additional marketing and overhead over their smaller competitors. I bought an off brand and bought an additional warranty for protection (I usually NEVER buy the warranties as they are usually just a huge profit center for the retailer), but wanted to be covered as the brand I bought doesn't have a long term history. Do some reading over at avsforum.com and you can find a lot of info on different brands and models. Good luck and have fun in your search.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    you can go to websites like CNET and hometheatermag.com. They give pretty good technical reviews. I bought a Sony XBR SXRD- Lcos TV in 2006. That, at the time had the best rated image in terms of color temp and black levels. The LCD and plasmas are much improved these days.
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    If the unit is going to be in a room with a lot of windows (glare), it's best to go with the LCD versus the Plasma. If the unit is going to be mounted on the wall, LCDs are generally much lighter. If neither are an issue, then the Plasma is the way to go. LCD picture quality is good, but plasma are still better in my opinion, especially the darks.
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    "bought a new Samsung 52" 120mhz 1080p LCD last weekend.

Watching Dark Knight on Bluray on this is like I'm sitting behind the camera lens during the filming of it"

I have the same Samsung and it was the best of the ones I looked at. I did what some recommended, I went from store to store to compare. I did this for about 9 months and went with the Samsung. Virtually everyone who comes to my house raves about how great the picture is.
  • Options
    Plasma... I have a Panasonic plasma. yeah, screen burnout is at 60,000 hrs... you do the math
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    thanks for all the valuable input guys--i appreciate it.

going to take a look around over the next couple of weeks and then pick one up as a family christmas gift. prices seem really low at the moment so as good a time as any to get one i suppose.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    I bought a 46" LCD Samsung rated #1 by Consumer Reports at the beginning of the year for that size. Beleive it or not I purchased the set at Amazon where the price was hundreds cheaper than any electronic store. Also the delivery was free and there wasn't any tax so check them out before you make a purchase.

Mike
  • Options
    Do not overlook DLP, not the super thin screen, but way more bang for the buck. If you are not looking to hang it on the wall I would look at those as well. I was going to go with an LCD but ended up getting a Samsung 56' DLP from a place online called VANNS.COM, no shipping, no tax, they even gave me a free Recordable DVD Player. Best Tv I ever had. And I also have a Plasma.

Just my opinion. TV's are kind of like women, there are a lot of beautiful ones, but only you know what you like.

-Jason
  • Options
    definately LCD. No glare with LCD.
  • Options
    LCD, SAMSUNG at that!
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I'm in shock with all the replies here. I have 5 flat screens in my house. 3 plasma -2 LCD. It's not even close .

The Plasma's stand out better with color/clarity/everything. I have a 55" Hitachi and 50" Samsung plasma 42- panasonic- all phenomenal.
    The LCD's are Magnovox/Vizio. I will never buy another LCD. The plasma's have a feature that moves the pixels around and they will last and last and last/no worries

JMHO from experience
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    50" Plasma............................Great rich colors, also doesn't splatter when hit by a 3yr old wielding a wiffle ball bat. ")
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I have to vote Plasma as well. Looked a long time and ended up with 60" Plasma from LG.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    LCD. After buying a 42" for the bedroom, I had to upgrade the old unit in the family room. After tons of research and side by side comparisons, I went with a 52" LCD. Price, flexibilty and life expectancy made the choice a no-brainer. I figure by the time I need to replace, plasma will be priced right, but now it just didn't make fiscal or environmental sense.
  • Options
    nflhofnflhof Posts: 189 ✭✭
    I bought a 52" Sharp LCD and it is the way to go! I had the same question. LCD all the way baby!
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

LCD

• Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭
    Get a Sony Bravia LCD, you can't go wrong.

If you question it, look at Consumer Reports.

-Jeff
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>bought a new Samsung 52" 120mhz 1080p LCD last weekend.

Watching Dark Knight on Bluray on this is like I'm sitting behind the camera lens during the filming of it >>

Did the Dark Knight even come out yet? =P >>

Local mom and pop cd/dvd store has had Dark Knight for about 2 weeks. They could care less about release dates. If they get it in, it goes on the shelf image

good catch though - was wondering if that would get noticed LOL
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I bought a Sony Bravia LCD last year. It was highly rated when I was shopping for a TV. I recommend it.

aconte
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    I bought a Vizio LCD from Dell a while back. I shopped around and compared capabilities and ended up with the Vizio. Awesome picture awesome gaming and no glares.
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    LCD. uses less power and better for gaming systems.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently own an LCD, but have been tempted by the dlp 1080 6 color Mitsubishi HD. Can pick up the 65" for about $1500 and the 73" at about $2400. Didn't care for the older dlp's, but these 6 color seem to have just as clear of a picture as the LCD's. Anyone have any experience with them???
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I got both in the house also. If you like brighter color go with the LCD if you like a more natural, well defined picture, go with the plasma. I only watch sports and news on TV and I can tell you, the plasma wins when it comes to sports.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I have a 32" and 42" LCD and a 42" Plasma. Colors seem richer on the Plasma, but my LCDs seem brighter. I don't think you can really go wrong either way, just make sure you get one that is 1080p. Don't skimp and get 720p resolution. You'll be sorry later.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options

<< <i>Do not overlook DLP, not the super thin screen, but way more bang for the buck. If you are not looking to hang it on the wall I would look at those as well. I was going to go with an LCD but ended up getting a Samsung 56' DLP from a place online called VANNS.COM, no shipping, no tax, they even gave me a free Recordable DVD Player. Best Tv I ever had. And I also have a Plasma.

Just my opinion. TV's are kind of like women, there are a lot of beautiful ones, but only you know what you like.

-Jason >>

I got a 61" Samsung DLP, and its only about 5 inches thick. The picture is amazing, and is by far the better picture for anything fast moving, ie: video games, sports, action movies. Mine is also 3D capable. When looking at TV's make sure to ask some of the saleman what TV they own. A couple of the guys that worked on the floor had my same TV. The stores wont usually hook DLP's up to the Blu Ray players or other Hi Def inputs, because they make more money on the plasmas and LCD's.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to add another reccomendation for the Sony Bravia LCDs. We have one in our family room. I also have a Sylvania LCD, but its a 720dpi so its not as nice as the Sony's 1080