Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 BVG 8.5 cards

Hello,
I have a 1971 set in which I have about half the cards graded. I have a few BVG 8.5's that I have often thought about getting them crossed over to PSA. If I did, I would of course break them out of their cases first. What is everyone's thought of BVG in terms of older cards. Is it worth the risk of these being trimmed? These are the older BVG cases that have the subgrades on the back. I purchased these at different times over the last 5 years.

Thank you
Phil

Comments

• Options
    Personal experience:

Direct crossover - at least half of my submissons have crossed at or better than the bvg grade. I have crossed bvg 9s into psa 10 holders. I usually set my mininum a half grade lower than the bvg grade and hope for the best.

Crackouts - I'll crack out anything other than a grade I wont risk. Decent experience here, but a fair percentage (10~) dont make in into psa holders. On the other hand, cracked out 8s have crossed to 8.5 and 9s on occasion, just as cracked out 9s have landed in psa 8 holders.

One important note. Crackouts come back in days, crossovers come back in months, so if timing is an issue, crack away. Being that this seems to be a keeper set, I'd try to cross them first, then keep the option of cracking them out if you aren't happy with the results. You have no recourse in the reverse if you crack em and they come back ungradable for any reason.

Good luck!
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    See the low sub-graded on the Concepcion. It is basically Beckett saying that the card is trimmed but they graded it anyway. Anytime you see sub-grades with a considerably lower surface grade than the rest is them basically saying it is cut from a sheet. I tracked ebay and own a few that fall into that category & they happened through a few select dealers.

Why don't you just cross them in the holders they are in? You should be able to trust PSA to be objective in their work.

I've got a BVG 1975 Carew graded 8.5 that looks like it should be graded an 11 on a scale of 10. They gave it a surface grade of 8 and they had a rule that the overall grade couldn't be more than .5 above the lowest sub-grade.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate your comments/insight.

I will probably go through the Crossover option first rather than break them out.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Smart move, you can always crack them at a later date.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I am sure your cards would crossover, but you will never get them to cross in the holder. PSA just wont do it.
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am sure your cards would crossover, but you will never get them to cross in the holder. PSA just wont do it. >>

I hear what you are saying. I have only tried to cross-over one BVG card without cracking it out and it came back as "trimmed" which I disagreed with. I know it is best to crack out and resubmitt. One time I cracked out a 1973 Topps Joe Morgan SGC 88 and it came back a PSA 9. Of course with cards of this high value (especially the Rose) the risk is much greater. I really don't know how to even crack out the BVG cards.