Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Duane cracks the Top Ten Buffalo Proof Set today!

Well, I guess we all know what he's been up to for the past few months. Great accomplishment! Now we need photos!

The Bighorn Collection

Comments

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Duane. I'll be closing in on you.

I've seen a couple of his Buff's and they are dynamite.image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i've seen a couple too that have to be amoungst finest known...shame as that's all i've seen was just a couple of um
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Thank you both. This proof Buffalo Nickel is a fascinating and very cool short series, much like the MPLs. And you know I'm putting to same kind of effort and thought into this collection as I did for my MPL set, so there is plenty of work ahead. I will put photos up soon enough, but want to adequately describe the coins in the photos, so the collection is of value and education to the viewer. Much like I did with my MPL set. Photos without commentary do not personally work for me in any collection. But I am enjoying watching people like me and Bob start to recognize and collect both series. It's been a long time in the making.

But mostly, with so many exciting things going on right now in the MPL world, and in fairness to the guys who are building great MPL sets right now, I'm inclined to sit back and just enjoy the 2009 Lincoln Centennial, and enjoy the MPL show. With the big trades going on, and the new Kevin Flynn MPL book coming out, we are going to have a blast in 2009! And who knows, I may be able to pick up a few more nice MPLs in 2009 myself. Matte Proofs are in my blood - they are image

So if anyone wants to make any offers, I'm still around......
  • Options
    Alright - I'll post my 1913 TI Tru-view, with some basic commentary, and you matte heads can see for yourself that these coins are matte monsters!!!

Let me know what you think.....
  • Options
    MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Duane -

It looks like you've done it again!

I can't wait to see photos...don't wait too long!

Mark
    I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
  • Options
    i know the 2 i saw will have many of jaws droppedimage

and in silence above is mark who just acquired 3 way tie for 2nd in the 1966 sms set with his newp of a 1966 sms ms68cam kennedy....quite the 65 to 67 sms set's mark has worthy of peeking i swears
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The children are growing and spreading their wings.image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have seen a couple of true-views, and they are amazing. When I first saw that 1913, I printed it out large and showed it around to some folks around the office whom I occasionally show Mattes to. I can't say they over-reacted, but I sure did. That thing's astonishing! Duane, you are truly blessed when it comes to finding great coins. Not only do you have a great eye, but you always seem to know where to look, and what to look for. Put simply, I can't wait to see the whole collection in all its glory. Bring on the pics!
  • Options
    Thank you but way too much credit. Have you ever seen the movie Forrest Gump.......? That's how I collect coins image

I still have a ong way to go, man.....
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Congrats Duane,

Nice set you are putting together. Looking forward to seeing your images.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    uhoh I better go check my safe deposit box and make sure my 1937 PR66CAM is still in there.....

only 10 CAMs in existence Duanes gotta be looking for one...or his collection is lacking the "Big Chief"

After looking over the set I was amazed at how high the pops are for high grade buffs, I guess the hard alloy really benefited from the high pressure proof press and created a lot of good strikes.

• Options
    hey ambro,
    congrats on the 37' cam...quite an elite treasure there...just wanted to know if that 10 pop covers 36 &37 combined???

• Options
    There are no 36 cams. NGC has slabbed 6 37 CAMS so the grand total is 16.

Yes its a spendid coin. Looks more like a Franklin Mint Tribute coin than a real honest to goodness US issue...just too good.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No wonder Duane has been so quiet. He has been busy busy busy!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    That and taking care of those blisters he has on his fingers from writing checks. image
  • Options
    Hey, Guys-

Thanks for the collective tip of the cap. Ray, as usual, you make me grin.... image

Yup, now you know what I've been doing almost 24/7. I got this collection together, thanks to the help of some very good people who choose to remain anonomous, faster than the Lincoln Matte collection. Obviously, short sets are the answer for my A.D.D. And the check book has been open, for sure.

But as we all recognize, there are coins and there are COINS! Pop numbers can be deceptive; personally, I can respectfully and confidently state that if you know of any high-grade examples available of any year that look like that 1913 TI (or the TII, which I just added, in the Thanksgiving spirit - BTW - those are the only two photos I have!!), please forward the Buffs or owners directly to me, as I am strong and motivated buyer! You just cannot find these coins at this level of eye appeal anywhere. Having said that, I give all the credit in the world to the collectors who have been building their beautiful sets for years - after finding out first-hand how rare these Nickels are at this level, I am sufficiantly humbled, but enjoying the ride of the hunt, as all who came before me have too.

Ray, your '37 is a true beauty, for sure. I do have the silver 2001 MS and PR Buff commemoratives, so know exactly what you mean. Ironically, my '36 brilliant looks pretty well cameoed, so I have an idea as to how yours must look in hand - but mine is just in an old holder and not labeled yet as a cameo or anything but the grade. But I suspect we will see more cameos as the series becomes further developed, and people start to look for them, like usually happens in other series.

Just like the MPLs, it's the MPBs without spots and with high eye appeal that are tough to find, as the mintages were low. I really wonder how many 1916s were actually put into circulation. As you can imagine, finding an originally colorful specimen was tough, and I got very lucky.

Anyway, thank you all - I wish everyone happy collecting and a happy Thanksgiving. For my part, I did put up the second of the only two photos I have. I will be developing the set (or maybe a second) as time passes (with photos and descriptions).

Anyway, enjoy the Bison 'Trophy' head below. We can get better shots with a camera than a gun in this age, luckily.....

Now - back to the MPLs!!!!!

Sincerely,
    Duane