Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Foreign coins in circ

What kinds of foreign coins have you found in circulation?

In Canada, US 1 to 25c are common, and I've seen east caribbean states 25c a few times, as well as occasional British 1d.

Also, in Canada, sometimes those medallions from the 1999/2000 commemorative 25c series sets are found in circ as they have the same dimensions.

Comments

• Options
    Recent finds include china, australia, bahamas and a very nice 2008 proof us half dollar. I live in the state ofNew York. Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my observations and finds, in approximate order of common-ness (most to least):

New Zealand, Fiji, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Singapore, Britain, Canada, the US, Philippines, Indonesia, Cook Islands and South Korea.

Did I mention I'm from Australia? image
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than Canadian coins, I live on the US/Canada border, I really haven't found many foreign coins in circulation over that past 40 years. I remember getting on Korean coin and a Bahama? coin, but other than that, nothing I can think of.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I have a friend in Chicago who is the guy who goes around to all of the fountains in hotels and malls and collects the coins for them and cleans the fountains - yep, that's his job.
    The US coins go back to the hotels but they don't want the non- US so he throws them in coffee cans. I went through one to see what I could find and was surpised to see the different coountries represented. Here are some examples:

Shep
  • Options
    There ya go shep! Another example of why I buy a bank bag of coins from time to time.

They have coins from all over the world collected from vendeing machines, parking meters etc.

I have made some nice, well circulated normally, but very nice finds.

Of course I now have maybe 100 pounds + of surplus everday form EU country coins.......
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options

<< <i>I have a friend in Chicago who is the guy who goes around to all of the fountains in hotels and malls and collects the coins for them and cleans the fountains - yep, that's his job.
    The US coins go back to the hotels but they don't want the non- US so he throws them in coffee cans. I went through one to see what I could find and was surpised to see the different coountries represented. Here are some examples:

Shep >>

John,
    Have you thought about joining Mycoinpictures,& getting a FREE photo editor off Photoscape?

That is one very nice collection of coins that you've got there.The British Commonwealth coins,including the Irish ones,are of interest to me.I see that you've even got a Commie Cuban coin that is only issued to tourists in your collection.

Here in New Zealand,we used to get coins from Australia,Fiji,the occasional coin from Great Britain,the Cook Islands,& Papua New Guinea.One time,the younger one of my 2 sisters got a South African 1979 1 Cent coin in change (prior to 1990 when 1c. & 2c. coins were still legal tender in New Zealand),which I still have.

Since we changed our coins in 2006,we don't get any foreign coins at all.

Aidan.
  • Options

It surprises me to see a Macedonian coin in that mix (upper right, below the German Max Planck.)
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    It's really great to see some coins from the Cayman Islands,the East Caribbean States,Trinidad & Tobago,Jamaica,& a couple of South African 2 Rand coins in there,along with coins from the Bahamas & Bermuda in that collection.Of course,there's even a couple of Irish Euro coins in that Irish collection as well.I've been collecting Irish Euro coins by date.I will be doing the same thing for both Cyprus & Malta as well.

Aidan.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently I got a Panamanian 1 centesimo from 1966 in change. Canadian coins for me are frequent, I live fairly close to the border though. I only save them if they are pre-1965 for bronze, or pre-1968 10¢ on up. In the past year I have gotten several 2 Euro cents from France and Germany in change as cents.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>image

It surprises me to see a Macedonian coin in that mix (upper right, below the German Max Planck.) >>

Scott,
    That is actually a Commie Polish 10 Zlotych that is on top of the Macedonian coin,not a West German Max Planck 2 Deutsche Mark or an East German coin at all,I'm afraid!

Aidan.
  • Options
    Here in the USA I have found a lot of "foreign" coins in the quarter size since the issuing of the 50 state quarters... They seem to blend in much more easily now than they used to so people don't seem to notice them as much. I have coins from the Bahamas, Canada, Phillipines, Panama, New Zealand, Germany, El Salvador, Fiji and even an old washed (with Zinc?) Japanese 10 Yen... If it is quarter size and about the right color the odds are you will probably find one eventually in the US.

I'm not complaining though, I have found 7 silver Canadian quarters, 2 Canadian silver dimes and a 1914 one Mark from the German Empire (which is a country I happen to collect)! And a 195* mark . I also have 3+ rolls of Canadian pennies and a couple of coppers from the Bahamas...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Rick,
    I can guess that you get the old 10c. coins from New Zealand as change for a Quarter.I'm amazed that you get Fijian coins in change over there.

Aidan.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Irish coins are so cool.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Bout three years ago I got an Aussie 5¢ coin as a dime in change in a Sears.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Canadians are the most common for me. I had found more then 50 and thanks to a Canadian friend I now have over 100 different Canadian coins in my collection, and a bag full of duplicates.
    I have also found French, Mexican, and British coins in circulation. I have had some German coins for so long, I cannot remember if they came out of circulation or not.

Shep, I would LOVE to have that job your friend has, I would be treasuring those foreign coins!!

The most bizarre thing I've ever seen, however, was at McDonald's one time she got one of those plastic play money Nickels back in change. Yes, the kind the has Copy stamped in giant letters on the front and back. Looks like it's been around the block, as they say, as it's pretty well worn.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    The most unusual coin I ever saw in circulation was a very well worn piece of 8 from the Mexico City mint dated about 1782. It looked slick, but you could make out enough to identify it.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The most unusual coin I ever saw in circulation was a very well worn piece of 8 from the Mexico City mint dated about 1782. It looked slick, but you could make out enough to identify it. >>

wow, that's a cool find!
  • Options
    <<wow, that's a cool find!>>

Today, I think so. At the time it was forced on me. Somebody spent it in the college cafeteria for a dollar. At first glance it looked like a slug. The girl that took it said she only did it for me since she knew I collected dollars. She sort of forced me to take it. I am glad now that she did.

Oh by the way, this happened over 50 years ago now.