Streak for Cash player loses out on big prize with Packers' loss

stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
Streak for Cash player loses out on big prize with Packers' loss

ESPN.com

Updated: November 24, 2008, 11:57 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

Greg Reynolds of Chico, Calif., grew up in the same hometown as Green Bay Packers' quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Streak for the Cash

Follow the leaders as they go for $1 million by trying to pick 25 winners in a row. Leaderboard

Monday night, Rodgers and the Packers cost him a chance to win $1 million.

Reynolds picked Green Bay over New Orleans in an attempt for his 25th straight win in ESPN's Streak for the Cash game. But the Saints, playing at home on Monday Night Football, beat the Packers 51-29 to make Reynolds the second player to lose after reaching 24 wins.

Samuel Louis-Charles of Miami is now the leader with a streak of 23 straight wins. He picked the Saints on Monday.

Reynolds got to 24 consecutive wins on Sunday night in dramatic fashion, when Indianapolis beat San Diego on a last-second field goal. Earlier in the day, he reached 23 wins when the Baltimore Ravens routed the Philadelphia Eagles 36-7.

Reynolds' streak began Oct. 24 when Stardom Bound won the Juvenile Fillies in the Breeders Cup. He got a second horse racing win when Zenyatta won the Ladies Classic.

Reynolds, a graduate of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and a San Francisco Bay Area sports fan, won two games Saturday (Clemson and Boston College). He's won nine times with college football picks. He also picked up a win with Brock Lesnar over Randy Couture in MMA on Nov. 15.

He nearly lost his streak on Nov. 14 with a push (Allen Iverson had 25 points and four assists to match Kobe Bryant's 29 points).

Two players lost long streaks on Sunday when the Carolina Panthers lost to the Atlanta Falcons.

Jordan Fulkerson of Louisville, Ky., had 24 wins before picking Atlanta. Katie Kaufmann of Minneapolis had 23 wins before picking Carolina.

Scott Conant of Moscow, Idaho, who had 23 wins heading into Saturday, lost his streak when he picked Wake Forest to beat Boston College.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3724697

Comments

• Options
    I was expecting some pics of chics running naked in the Superdome.
  • Options
    dumbass should have taken the home team image not the "homer" team.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a tough hit, Although I dont bet, I dont think I would have gone against the Saints at home on a Monday night.
  • Options

<< <i>Thats a tough hit, Although I dont bet, I dont think I would have gone against the Saints at home on a Monday night. >>

I never played this and it looks like it's "free" to play, so for me, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. But what a stinkin' way to lose a milion bucks although it turns out the game wasn't close.
  • Options

<< <i>I was expecting some pics of chics running naked in the Superdome. >>

Yes, that would have made for a much more interesting thread. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>dumbass should have taken the home team image not the "homer" team. >>

Yes, and I'm sure this guy will be thinking about that for a long, LONG time - might be the last thought on his deathbed..."I shoulda picked the Saints"
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Every time he hears the song "When the Saints go Marching In" he's going to have a Pavlovian reaction in his gut.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WHEN THE SAINTS
    COME MARCHING IN

We are trav'ling in the footsteps
    Of those who've gone before
    And we'll all be reunited,
    On a new and sunlit shore,

Oh, when the saints go marching in,
    Oh, when the saints go marching in
    Lord how I want to be in that number
    When the saints go marching in

And when the sun begins to shine
    And when the sun begins to shine
    Lord, how I want to be in that number
    When the sun begins to shine

Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call
    Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call
    Lord, how I want to be in that number
    When the trumpet sounds its call

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, and I'm sure this guy will be thinking about that for a long, LONG time - might be the last thought on his deathbed..."I shoulda picked the Saints" >>

Doubt it... if the guy had any kind of sense, he begged/borrowed/stole anything he could get his hands on and hedged by betting a couple hundred k on NO, making it a win/win for him. No reason not too when you have a freeroll bet at a mil...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, and I'm sure this guy will be thinking about that for a long, LONG time - might be the last thought on his deathbed..."I shoulda picked the Saints" >>

Doubt it... if the guy had any kind of sense, he begged/borrowed/stole anything he could get his hands on and hedged by betting a couple hundred k on NO, making it a win/win for him. No reason not too when you have a freeroll bet at a mil... >>

An excellent idea but of course the "problem" would be coming up with a couple hundred thou - not easy to do. Certainly using your idea and putting "something", as much as he could, on New Orleans would have been a smart move.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I must visit ESPN.com 10 times a day, and had no idea about this contest until that guy lost with the Packers, I couldn't believe they have been running it for months.....definitely a fun contest, but I can see how it could be disheartening building a streak to 12 or 13, losing a game, and having to start over.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Saints had any defense, they'd be scary. I'd love to see the Over/Under on AZ at NO. 75? LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I must visit ESPN.com 10 times a day, and had no idea about this contest until that guy lost with the Packers, I couldn't believe they have been running it for months.....definitely a fun contest, but I can see how it could be disheartening building a streak to 12 or 13, losing a game, and having to start over. >>

I didn't know about it either - It was a general news story on AOL and I just happened to see it.

Wonder what the odds are of hitting 25 in a row? I used to participate in a "free to enter" weekly pickem in the NFL and even picking around 14 out of 16 wasn't easy - which is usually about what won, and there were a few weeks when picking 11 was a winner when a lot of dogs won, and of course there's always some easy blowout game picks each week. I didn't look at the offered ESPN games yet, but I have a feeling that the games are close odds type games, so picking 25 of those type games in a row...my goodness that's a toughie.