Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

dave and adams card world?

i seen in the new smr that they buy collections. so i figured i would send them an email. what the heck, im pretty much done with collecting. i have alot of raw auto's and crazy graded psa cards that do not fit in anywhere.lol
so i was just wondering if anyone on the boards have ever dealy with them.. thanks don russell

Comments

• ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    to get the most money out of your collection I would try the b/s/t board or Ebay first. I know a dealler that closed and sold a large lot to D&A. Although it was convinient he got a lot less then he was expecting. ON the plus side they took everything and paid quickly.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • i should have not started 1 year and 1/2 ago.there is more to life than cards. don
  • i can only imagine how much it would cost me on ebay to sell over 200 cards.. don
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Don, I think Dave and Adam buy big collections to get the good retail stuff and then wholesale the rest. They're good buyers but they can't pay much as wholesale buyers The advice you got to sell here or on ebay is great advice.

• i tried to sell the whole collection as listed #9. no bites. im just trying to get things right before my new kid comes around.the cards are nothing but a pain,and im not stressing about them anymore. when its not fun any more its time to go at any cost.don
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>the cards are nothing but a pain,and im not stressing about them anymore. when its not fun any more its time to go at any cost.don >>

Then you shouldn't worry too much about how much it would cost to sell them on eBay.
  • If family is the real reason you want to bail, cool.

I hope the best for you and your family.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I recently was forced to sell almost my entire collection due to medical expenses (My wife and little girl BOTH had Cancer!) I thought a large auction house was the way to go, so I consigned all of it to MASTRO. I had some real nice stuff, including about 250 -300 unopened graded wax and cellos from the 50s, 60s and 70s. In addition I had a few thousand graded cards, including a complete 1968 set that was ~ #18 on The Registry, a real nice 54 Mantle Bowman (PSA 6) and several other real nice cards.

Unfortunately Mastro (in their past two auctions) put SO MANY of my CARDS/PACKS into each lot that I did NOT get close to the full value. My best guess is that I lost about 30% because of this. ANYWAY, what I am saying is that if you have high valued INDIVIDUAL ITEMS, an auction house like MASTRO is probably the way to go. If not, I agree that selling on eBay or on these boards will net you the most cash.

JMO.

Stay Healthy!

Doug
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Don,

Sorry to hear that your selling your cards but it sounds like it's for a reason. I would interested in some of your
    Rose cards if wanted to break them up. I will be out of town till Friday night. If this doesn't work for you good luck
    with what ever choice you make in selling.

Marlin

Pete for HOF
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    My wife and little girl BOTH had Cancer!)

Had, meaning they both are cancer free now? I hope so. Yeah I could see how they just blow your stuff out.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Although I have never sold to D & A, I had a situation with them where I emailed them a concern about one of their products and they seemed to blow it off even though I felt it was "eBay style" deceit.

Basically, I was looking to put a few boxes of various years product and felt a larger business would be a good place to start. (This was before I started using BBCE). The product I wanted was 2001 Bowman Chrome Baseball....yes, the one with the Pujols. While doing a little investigating on this item, especially after reading the article in Beckett concerning the fact that Topps distinctly and without question states that the Pujols RC from this set was only obtained through exchange card and NONE were put in packs. I then decided that without the Pujols, I did not want the box and bought a few different boxes that did contain a Pujols RC. I sent an email to them, politely explaining that their online listing of the box (at $550 each btw) which promotes the fact that it could contain a Pujols RC was in error. I received an email back saying that they are not sure about that and the listing would not be changed.

Now, honestly, they knew that there was no Pujols contained in foil, yet even after my email and as late as 6 months ago, still had it listed as a possible Pujols RC box. That type of deceit was intentional, IMO and I have never bought anything else from them after that since it doesnt appear they respect their buyers and dont have a problem with dishonesty.

Edited to add: Just checked it and it still has Albert Pujols as one of the key rookies. Doesnt come out and directly say you can get one, but implies that by listing his name in all caps on the buy page.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
    Steve,

Yes, thank God. My little girl was 3 years old when she was diagnosed in January '03. After going thru over NINE HUNDRED CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF CHEMO, 25+ Spinal Taps and various other procedures, I am proud to say she has been Cancer Free for 3.5 years. (check out her website www.caringbridge.org/ny/francescamollo )

My wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in December '07. She went thru some heavy doses of Chemo and now has been cancer free for six months. She still has at least one more operation, but she is well on her way to recovery.

Stay Healthy!

Doug
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Don,

Send me a list and a few scans of what you have and I assure you that I will offer you more than Dacardworld. Hate to see you leave but never turn my back on potential equity image
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Don, I'll start the bidding at a buck a card! image
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    If you got any 68 baseball, give me a crack at 'em.

Hope all is well. And to you Doug, congrats on the incredible recoveries of both your daughter and wife!!

Brian
  • CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    "i can only imagine how much it would cost me on ebay to sell over 200 cards.. don"

You only have a little over 200 cards to sell. I have 200 sitting in a pile in one little stack. Just
    make a list and post it here and see what type of offers you get. Shouldn't take too long to
    list 200 cards.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    You can get rid of a bunch on the BST if you sell in singles/small lots. If you list it all as a group your potential customers just shrank by 95%.
  • i cant imagine consigning to these big auction houses unless i had a 6 figure item. they dont seem to work very hard and the fees are exorbinant.
  • hey i just scaned a few. over in the for sale or trade.. don

<< <i>If you got any 68 baseball, give me a crack at 'em.

Hope all is well. And to you Doug, congrats on the incredible recoveries of both your daughter and wife!!

Brian >>

Brian ... part of my MASTRO consignment included a '68 PSA set that was ~#15 on The Registry. I have sold off most of my dupes, but still have about 40 graded cards that I came across. Let me know what numbers you need and I'll see if I have any for you.... Doug

PS THANKS on the well wishes! Although I still complain a little when it happens (lol), cards that I thought should have been a 9 that came back as a 7 are not really as important anymore!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Doug - turn your PM's on so I can shoot you a message or PM me. Either way image
  • Don,

In all seriousness leave already. Your constant threads about leaving the hobby and complaints with PSA are tiring. If you hate the hobby so much why do you still show up here?
  • because im selling my cards 1st. brotha! don
  • TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    "Steve,

Yes, thank God. My little girl was 3 years old when she was diagnosed in January '03. After going thru over NINE HUNDRED CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF CHEMO, 25+ Spinal Taps and various other procedures, I am proud to say she has been Cancer Free for 3.5 years. (check out her website www.caringbridge.org/ny/francescamollo )

My wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in December '07. She went thru some heavy doses of Chemo and now has been cancer free for six months. She still has at least one more operation, but she is well on her way to recovery.

Stay Healthy!

Doug "

Steve,

I am glad to hear your wife and daughter are doing better. Your post is reminder how thankful we should be to have a healthy family. Thanks for sharing and have Happy Thanksgiving.

Terry
  • always nice to have a positive post around here. don
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Terry

I think you are confused it was Doug whose wife and child were sick.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>In all seriousness leave already. Your constant threads about leaving the hobby and complaints with PSA are tiring. >>

Cut Don some slack. He is a good guy. He's just bitter over some things that go on in this hobby that would aggravate anyone if the same thing happened to them. Hey, he got robbed by a collector "friend" he was trying to help and still kept his head up.
  • yeah,its been kinda hard doing just that.but i am starting to sell a few cards.its hard to recoop after a friend screws you over like that. don
  • group hug
  • Don, Have you sold your 63 or 64 Rose yet? PM ME, I can't find your set on the registry anymore, What grade are they?

Edited: Choking on my morning hot dog, Left out a few words!