Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

BWA 2 shilling 1951

Another of my well circulated coins. I think it is close to low AU grade. What do you think?
Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
"A work in progress"

Wayne
eBay registered name:
Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, Brits would probably give it VF, and the coin does show some worrisome green tinges to it - acetone might be a good idea to see if some might be gotten rid of.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dip it to get the green out, and it would most likely grade fine to very fine

overall a nice coin

coins for sale at link below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yGharuQgUMTSUKav7

• Options
    It is in an olive oil soak now.......it will be fine. Thanks for the comments
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I've always liked that design
  • Options
    Nice coin-I don't have one of the two shillings in my own collection. Where is the "h" mintmark located on the coin or isn't there one? Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    After the olive oil soak it will look much better. I tend to agree with the AU50 grade, maybe a 45.
    I think the picture doesn't show the remaining luster well, it looks a tad like a greenish haze!
    I've had the same thing happen with some of my coin pics so I'm pretty sure it's there,
    all around the protected edges on both sides and even in the crown's recessed areas.

I don't recall ever seeing one in all my bargain box searches, can't be too common - at least not
    in the north east. How large is it? Quarter sized? or standard 2 shilling sized?
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    Ouch, Joe - I need you to grade my coins!
  • Options
    The green is not, I think PVC, but something else that seems to happen to these.

I have several 1 and 2 shillings that look similar.

As far as a grade goes, it is my typical optimism but these normal get serious wear on the palm leaves very fast.
    This is one of my best for lack of wear.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Yes, this looks to be copper sulfide which more commonly attacks copper in tropical climes (such as BWA)...
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coin-I don't have one of the two shillings in my own collection. Where is the "h" mintmark located on the coin or isn't there one? Olmanjon >>

John,
    The 'H' mintmark is found at the base of the palm tree on the British West African 1/- & 2/- coins that were struck at Heaton's Mint,Birmingham (England,that is,not Alabama!).The 'KN' mintmark of the Kings Norton Mint,Birmingham is also found located at the base of the palm tree of those coins as well.

Wayne,
    The coins of both Nigeria-British West Africa & British West Africa itself is becoming very difficult to find,as British Commonwealth collectors like myself are seriously collecting these coins.

Aidan.