Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Giants/Cadinals game free kick question ???

I was watching the giants/cardinals game and it was 4 seconds left in the 2nd qtr. The cardinals had the ball on 4th down.
They were allowed to take a "free" kick as a field attempt from 68 yards out. no snap. no rush allowed. and ball held on the ground by the holder like a normal field goal.

Never saw that. Whats the ruling? I wasn't 100% concentrated on the game and may have missed something.

kicker hit a grounder down third base line.....not even a good attempt.
Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
1948-76 Topps FB Sets
FB & BB HOF Player sets
1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Comments

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't on 4th down. It's an option after a fair catch, but you're almost never close enough for it to be worth trying. One of those weird little wrinkles in the rules.

(One of many things I learned about in the Punt, Pass and Kick Library volume More Strange But True Football Stories in my misspent youth.)
  • Options
    It is only really an option at the end of a half or end of a game because you are basically decidiing you do not want to snap the ball from scrimmage. I have seen it work in a high school game for a game winner. Some kickers can really boom it with no rush and being able to take as many steps as they would like to kick the ball.
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    makes sense to me
    thanks for replies
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    While we're talking rules, here's a basketball rule question that's always perplexed me. We've all seen a offensive player set a pick and a defender get blindsided and usually knocked on his butt. Why isn't there a foul involved?

Anybody know why?
  • Options
    The offensive player setting the pick has established position and is simply holding his ground, thus no foul on him. The offensive player normally does not move when he is hit by the defender, so he is not affected by the contact initiated by the defender running into him, so no foul on the defender either. The times you do see a call on these plays is normally when the offensive player setting the pick dips his shoulder into the defender or give him a little hip-check.

Jasen
  • Options
    OK, how about this one? Often, a QB fakes a handoff to a back. Many times, a defender is fooled by the fake and tackles the back... why isn't this holding?