Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dixie Lids - Scans added

I have quite a few dixie lids from a collection I recently purchased. I think they are all 1953's. Below are a couple of scans of Spahn and Kluszewski. I have Fox, Ashburn, Kiner and a few others.

I can't find hardly anything on value other than a couple ebay BIN's marked outrageously.

So I figured someone on here might know value and/or grading downfalls. These were all originals by the individual I purchased them from and as case would have it, several of the tabs are creased in a effort to no doubt get to the ice cream quickly, without regards for me trying to sell them 55 years later image

So I expect the bent tabs kill the grade, I'm just not sure how much. Heck, I'm not even sure they are worth grading to be honest. There are 10 1953's in the Pop report and 31, 1954's. There is also a dixie lid premium, that I have no idea what it might be.

As always, thanks in advance for your help,

Chad

The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.

Comments

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Here is a Nagurski Dixie Lid:

The only football ones I know of are the Nagurski and Baugh. These are pretty scarce and command quite a premium. I have seen these sell for big bucks.

In regards to grading...I think many of the same aspects of card grading apply. I am sure that a bent tab decreases condition. unfortunately I do not know anything about the baseball ones.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Chad,

I would think that most of the examples are going to have bent/creased tabs.

But, it's better to have bent/creased tabs than to have the tabs missing.

Thought you might be interested in seeing this link.

PoppaJ

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    On some issues where unless the cards were cut from sheets, damage is unavoidable, PSA/SGC will ignore that damage. To me the tabs have to be damaged otherwise how would the lids be removed? If 100% of the cards have bent tabs then to me that shouldn't be used in grading criteria.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>Chad,

I would think that most of the examples are going to have bent/creased tabs.

But, it's better to have bent/creased tabs than to have the tabs missing.

Thought you might be interested in seeing this link.

PoppaJ >>

All of mine do have tabs, so I guess that is a plus. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I'm not getting much feedback on this, seeing as there are only 10 1953 lids graded. That might mean they are really rare, or it might mean they are really worthless. There is definitely more info on the 1938-39 like in the link you posted. VCP doesn't even have the 53-54 listed as a set.

Thanks for the info so far, please keep any help coming!
  • Options
    I found this information link

Those are really cool. Are you interested in selling the Spahn?
    << image >>
  • Options
    Found some values on CValue.com. I like the prices they have, but not sure how they come up with them. I guess I'm about to double or triple the Pop report numbers by sending in 15-20 of these to get graded. Wish me luck! Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    OK I have increased the POP report on 1953 dixie lids all by myself, there were 11 graded before my sub. I've learned quite a bit on these in the last couple of weeks, and seems I might have myself a pleasant little surprise. I submitted 23 in all, but the highlights are below. I'm still not sure how they ended up calling 3 of them 1954's. Guess I'll have to do some more research.

1953 DIXIE LIDS VIRGIL TRUCKS(Browns) EXCELLENT 5 (first graded)
    1953 DIXIE LIDS HANK SAUER EXCELLENT-MINT 6 (one other graded, was a 3Q)
    1953 DIXIE LIDS RICHIE ASHBURN VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 (one other graded, was a 2)
    1953 DIXIE LIDS JACKIE JENSEN EXCELLENT 5 (first graded)
    1953 DIXIE LIDS BILLY COX EXCELLENT+ 5.5 (one other graded, was a 5)
    1953 DIXIE LIDS NELSON FOX EXCELLENT-MINT 6 (First graded!)
    1953 DIXIE LIDS WARREN SPAHN EXCELLENT-MINT 6 (First graded!)
    1953 DIXIE LIDS RALPH KINER EXCELLENT 5 (First graded!)
    1953 DIXIE LIDS AL SCHOENDIENST EXCELLENT 5 (First graded!)

1954 DIXIE LIDS SID GORDON EXCELLENT 5 (one other graded, was a 2)
    1954 DIXIE LIDS TED KLUSZEWSKI EXCELLENT-MINT 6 (2 others graded, a 2 and a 4)

Now I get to figure out what these things are worth. Book value is impressive, but there are no sales to go off of. Guess I'm going to get to set a price and see what happens. Makes up for my other sub with I won't bring up image
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I like 'em.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    I'm 99.9% sure that they have mis-labeled the 1954's. Yeah me!!! My first mis-label!!! I assume that this is going to cost me to ship back and forth to get these fixed?

Chad
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Are these for sale Chad? I would be interested in a couple if they are (depending on price). Nice grades by the way.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Cool stuff! I too would be interested in any Cardinals ones if you are planning to sell. Chris can have first whack though since he beat me to the post image
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    Once I figure out the values, I'll put them on the BST board before I do anything. I'm going to keep several of them, just not sure which ones.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Cool stuff! I too would be interested in any Cardinals ones if you are planning to sell. Chris can have first whack though since he beat me to the post image >>

I'm pretty sure you know which ones I'm interested in, Paul. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm 99.9% sure that they have mis-labeled the 1954's. Yeah me!!! My first mis-label!!! I assume that this is going to cost me to ship back and forth to get these fixed?

Chad >>

If they're truly mech errors, they'll refund you in vouchers for shipping.
  • Options
    Here are some of the cards with the errors fixed. Anyone with any advice on these let me know. I have half the set graded with the HOFers in place. Many of these are first graded or highest graded for each player including most below. I guess I'm looking for the best way to sell these. On Ebay? Together at an auction house and if so how do I go about asking some if they are interested? Should I put one on Ebay at .99 and see what the market says? I'm going to keep some of these, but I'll more than likely sell the highest graded and keep the lesser ones.

• Options
    First of all, those are beyond cool! I generally don't get attached to the majority of my cards because I am a thrill of the chase kind of collector, but those are keepers!

But, if you sell, I think I would put them on Ebay with a reserve you are comfortable with and see what happens. Just list the reserve in the description. From reading posts on this and other boards many seem to like this. Or, list it with the minimum you are willing to accept.

Again, those are really nice! Great find. Good luck.image

Robert
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Those are awesome!
  • Options

<< <i>First of all, those are beyond cool! I generally don't get attached to the majority of my cards because I am a thrill of the chase kind of collector, but those are keepers!

But, if you sell, I think I would put them on Ebay with a reserve you are comfortable with and see what happens. Just list the reserve in the description. From reading posts on this and other boards many seem to like this. Or, list it with the minimum you are willing to accept.

Again, those are really nice! Great find. Good luck.image

Robert >>

I will admit the longer I keep them around, the more they grow on me. I submitted 23 to get graded and the total pop report is now 34. I have the only graded Kiner (3 of them), Spahn (3), Schoendienst (2), Fox (4), and several other commons. So would like to move at the least my extras of the HOFers. But since there is no way to gauge the value just yet, I'm just trying to figure out my next move.