Home Precious Metals

markets gotten to the continuous sell point?

I don't get involved with stocks in any way. I really only started to pay attention to them maybe 6 months or so ago mainly because of purchasing pm's. What I noticed while the markets were going down is that there would be maybe 2 down days followed by 1 or 2 up days that wouldnt quite offset the down days. I can see how the psychology of that worked being that the general trend was down but investors were still trying to get in on "cheaper" stocks. What I would like to know is will investors ever get tired of purchasing cheaper stocks because all that happens is their recent purchase just continues lower. At that point investors just say "screw buying the dips because the stock will just continue down anyway"

Have we reached the point of non stop selling or will investors just continue to try to find cheap stocks forcing short rallies or what?

Comments

• fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    could this be mutual funds buying that have to park 401K money
    somewhere? as the market goes lower and lower they are just
    averaging in for the long term?

i don't know.... just a guess.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i think that many are too afraid to do anything right now, either buy or sell.....i have not followed any volume numbers ... so much uncertainty for the near and mid-future.

in this market there will be 500+ ups and downs...

there must be gallons of pepto-bismol on the trading floor now and a few barf bags.
    i don't know how those guys and gals can do that day in and day out even in "normal market situations"

• BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Who used to say, that GM was a widow's stock?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Have we reached the point of non stop selling or will investors just continue to try to find cheap stocks forcing short rallies or what?

The rallies haven't been investors finding cheap stocks - they've just been short covering. That's why they're so fast and furious.

As to the non-stop selling, of that I am perplexed because I can't imagine who hasn't sold by now.
  • Its now the orphan.
  • If there are people selling, then there are people buying bargains. Problem seems to be like real estate-so many bargains to choose from and so few buyers. Prices keep dropping until a buyer steps up. At some point hopefully the ratio of sellers to buyers will turn around.
    Crazy old man from Missouri

• << <i>Have we reached the point of non stop selling or will investors just continue to try to find cheap stocks forcing short rallies or what?

The rallies haven't been investors finding cheap stocks - they've just been short covering. That's why they're so fast and furious.

As to the non-stop selling, of that I am perplexed because I can't imagine who hasn't sold by now. >>

I am one that has not sold yet. My stock are down 35% or so, I called my stockbroker when the Dow was 11,000 and ask him about selling some stock and he said no, we are in it for the long term. I told my wife I had a bad gut feeling but he is suppose to be the expert, now I wish I had sold. I do have one question I would like awnsered....... when people take money out of the stock market were are they putting it, there are not many good investments out there.

• << <i>Have we reached the point of non stop selling or will investors just continue to try to find cheap stocks forcing short rallies or what?

As to the non-stop selling, of that I am perplexed because I can't imagine who hasn't sold by now. >>

If everybody had sold, the markets would be at zero. Actually, it would take a lot less than that. If you had more sellers than buyers, the bids would drop rapidly and most people would be stuck with worthless paper.