Home Sports Talk
Options

Jim Rice and the HOF...

124»

Comments

• Options
    I will admit, I am a beaten man. I will join the Jaxxr crusade! I don't know why we are talking about Jim Rice and Eddie Murray, when Dave Kingman compares very favorably to the great Honus Wagner!!

My eyes have been opened by our new evaluative methods on this board recently, and I must say with these new evaluative methods that Dave Kingman should be in the Hall of Fame.

After all, he does compare VERY favorably with Honus Wagner in many certain key areas...

TOp Five HR Seasons...
    Kingman 48, 37, 37, 36, 35.
    Wagner..10,10, 9, 7, 7, 6.

Highest Total Bases in a single season...
    Kingman 326
    Wagner..308

Number of times leading the league in HR
    Kingman TWICE
    Wagner ZERO

Highest Slugging PCT. in a season
    Kingman .613
    Wagner .573

Career average in RBI per 162 games
    Kingman 101
    Wagner 100
    Yes, those are REAL runs too!!!!!!

Career average in HR per 162 games
    Kingman 37
    Wagner 6
    HR are the best hit. No need to walk when you can hit that many HR.

Career Home Run Frequency.
    Kingman One HR every 15 at bats
    Wagner ONe HR every 101 at bats

And HR Frequency is not directly expressed in OPS+. Nowhere in the OPS+ forumula do I see HR/ab. So this is just another perspective on one of the newer stats guys like to use(like OPS+). I'm not completely discounting OPS+, but rather showing another person's view on how to look at it.

All Time Record for Most HR in last season, Kingman: 35. I may be wrong on this record, but it sounds right.

The longest HR on record at Wrigley Field
    Kingman: three houses past Waveland.
    Wagner: never crossed Waveland.

TheVon, you seem to be on board with these new stats as well, as is Winpitcher. You guys have to be drooling over the fact that Kingman has a higher number of RBI than Wagner per 162 games for his career. Those are REAL runs too! I feel like part of the group now! This is great.

Yeah, I know they played different positions, but that isn't the point. The point is that Kingman compares very favorably with Wagner in MANY key areas, and even holds some records that Wagner does NOT, and Wagner is a HOFer. Since Kingman compares so favorably in many Key areas with a HOFer, it makes his induction sensible. If you dont belive me, just look at those lists. If you STILL dont belive me, I CAN POST THEM AGAIN FOR YOU!! These are the facts.

PS. In Kingman's stint with the Yankees he had an OPS+ of 208! Had he played his full career there, we are in Ruth Territory. Wagner nver had an OPS+ of 208!!!!
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    You have changed your attack, from PF items.

which was shown to have Rice's total bases on the ROAD to be projected to better Murray's best single season ever,
    and also that Murray's very best HR season is far short of a Rice ALL road game projected number, you somehow neglected to Fenwayish those items.

Now attack the lack of any context.
    I assume you must feel OPS + is a perfect, completely reflective combination stat. The fact it includes some items twice, and uses OBP which values getting hit by a pitch, the same as a double or a home run, adds to its imperfection, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

In the context of real life MLB, the result of all games are determined by runs, scoring them and driving them in. Many stats or combinations of them, such as OPS +, raw OPS, SB%, BA, HRs, Hits, HRF, and lots of others, are contributory, helpful, and usually interesting. The only stats which really do matter most, are the actual runs themselves.

In scoring them,
    Rice tops Murray in best single season, sum of their top five years, and career seasonal average.
    In driving in runners who do score, which can be done while making an out ,
    Rice tops Murray in best single season, sum of their top five years, and career seasonal average.

Career OPS+, Rice 134, Murray 128
    Career Adjusted OPS +, Rice 128, Murray 129
    Best AL single season Adjusted OPS +, Rice 157, Murray 156

Rice compares favorably with Murray in many different contexts.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Jaxxr,

Perhaps you were not interested in the several KEY categories that Kingman beats Wagner in. I want to highlight the fact that Kingman averaged more RBI per 162 games than Wagner for their entire career! Yes, those are real runs, real producing of runs...exactly what wins games.

After all, he does compare VERY favorably with Honus Wagner in many certain key areas...

TOp Five HR Seasons...

Kingman 326
    Wagner..308

Kingman TWICE
    Wagner ZERO

Kingman .613
    Wagner .573

Kingman 101
    Wagner 100

Kingman 37
    Wagner 6

And HR Frequency is not directly expressed in OPS+. Nowhere in the OPS+ forumula do I see HR/ab. So this is just another perspective on one of the newer stats guys like to use(like OPS+). I'm not completely discounting OPS+, but rather showing another person's view on how to look at it.

All Time Record for Most HR in last season, Kingman: 35. I may be wrong on this record, but it sounds right.

Perhaps Kingman was the better hitter, and that is why he beats Wagner in several KEY statistical measures. Perhaps you are not inerested in other viewpoints.
  • Options
    This thread is getting ridiculous. Now your comparing Dave Kingman and Honus Wagner, and making the argument that he was his equal.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I'd like to personally thank Hoopster for providing empirical evidence for something I've always secretly suspected-- which is that these slap hitting candyasses like Honus Wagner have always gotten waaayyyy too much credit by the BBWAA (and the public in general). Viva King Kong!!

• Options
    The title of this thread you started, indicates neither Honus Wagner, nor Dave Kingman is the subject.

A new and separate thread containg the unrelated topic of Wagner vs Kingman, would be more a more appropriate platform to promote your views and gather other opinions. I am confident many would glady offer their insights in such a venue.

• Options
    Perhaps you were not interested in the several KEY categories that Kingman beats Wagner in. I want to highlight the fact that Kingman averaged more RBI per 162 games than Wagner for their entire career! Yes, those are real runs, real producing of runs...exactly what wins games.

TOp Five HR Seasons...

Kingman 326
    Wagner..308

Kingman TWICE
    Wagner ZERO

Kingman .613
    Wagner .573

Kingman 101
    Wagner 100

Kingman 37
    Wagner 6

Perhaps Kingman was the better hitter, and that is why he beats Wagner in several KEY statistical measures. Perhaps you are not inerested in other viewpoints.
  • Options
    Such interesting material is not related to the subject or title of this particular thread.

Your views are certainly worthy of a new and separate thread, indeed.

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i> TheVon, you seem to be on board with these new stats as well, as is Winpitcher. You guys have to be drooling over the fact that Kingman has a higher number of RBI than Wagner per 162 games for his career. Those are REAL runs too! I feel like part of the group now! This is great. >>

Just because I'm tired of reading the same arguments week after week after week after week doesn't mean I agree or disagree with any of you. I happen to think that most of these discussions dissolve into incoherent diatribes and they make all kinds of assumptions about other people, undefined concepts, and what makes something valuable. These threads all fail to recognize and accept that different types of people value different things. Clearly you and dallas and others value refined analysis while others on this board value more experienced-based data. It does no good to keep screaming the same things louder when your audience doesn't speak your language.
  • Options
    TheVon,

That is why I joined you guys in speaking the same language. Look, Jaxxr and I already agree that Kingman was on par with Honus Wagner, and that Vinny Castilla was clearly better than Brooks Robinson.

• Options
    Whatever, dude. I think you have a lot of good things to say and your analysis can be really interesting, but you've got the charisma of a flea. If you could manage to show some grace and humility in your posts maybe people would be more open to learning your language. Until then, most of us are just going to continue to feel like you are on a crusade and you won't stop until we all die from the sickness and disease that you spread.
  • Options
    TheVon,

I speak the same language now.
  • Options
    Well alright then. I'm interested in hearing your response to my post in the other thread about Allen's "old man years."
  • Options
    TheVon,

I meant I speak the same language as my leader, Jaxxr or his biggest advocate...Winpitcher.

I am not sure if I can go back to my old ways of thinking.
  • Options
    Maybe dallas can pinch hit for you then?
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I was quite serious. I surrender.

But if you know of any blind people that are interested in learning about kaleidoscopes, I would be happy to take on that less frustrating task.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    THeVon is a very level headed man.

I just hope my statistical leader stays the course our the Kingman/Wagner comparison.
  • Options
    "our the Kingman/Wagner comparison."

"our" ????

Any person can see easily, who solely has posted that particular comparison, quite voluminously, repetetitiously, and boorishly, in a desperate need for attention, only Skinpictch, AKA Hoopster.

• Options
    Jaxxr,

Our is incorrect, I agree. I should not be giving myself credit for your invention. You twisted my arm, sorry if I tried to steal your thunder. I agree that it is solely YOUR evaluative method that puts Kingman on par with Wagner, and Castilla as better than Brooks.

I don't want the attention. I am giving you all the credit. You are the Pied Piper my man!
  • Options
    I'm just the Villiage Idiot,
    as you so politely described, me in an edited-removed-replaced post of yours.

Surely not capable of any thought process which might assign weights to various factors, or proportional evaluation, linear equations, leverage index, or standard deviations. I am so foolish that I think runs scored have some remote meaning to baseball.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Skip give it a rest.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Happy 60th Jim!
  • Options

<< <i>No, I was quite serious. I surrender.

But if you know of any blind people that are interested in learning about kaleidoscopes, I would be happy to take on that less frustrating task. >>

I miss Dallasactuary! He was the smartest man on these boards, and had the best succinct touch!

Jaxxr, where have you gone my friend. We may have debated quite often, but it was all in fun. Now Jim Rice gets to be the benchmark for the 100 superior players who are currently not in the HOF. His inclusion has given them fuel.

Heck, Rice was only the third best outfielder ON HIS OWN TEAM! How pissed should Lynn and Evans be that they are not in!

Everyone got fooled by the inflated RBI totals, due to having a lot of guys on base, and playing in the best hitters park in the league! Most of those same people don't realize how many failed RBI's Rice left out there though...leading the league in that in fact!

Did you know that Wade Boggs is the only player to get elected to the HOF twice? Yup, once when he got elected, and the other time when he got on base so much, and Rice got elected image

• Options
    Happy birthday Jim!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic thread!

In conclusion, both Jaxxr and sayheykid54 were schooled in this one, though they still might not even realize it!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.