Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

DO YOU ANTICIPATE A "GENUINE" 1909VDB MPL?

Reading about the new PCGS policy regarding non graded coins ((ie) prior body bag coins), I note that PCGS will now slab these coins and report them as "genuine" assuming they are not counterfeit, etc. That sounds OK to me (although I would have liked to see a different color insert). Anyway, I got to thinking how this change in PCGS policy would affect our favorate and most valuable MPL, the 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent. Do you think we will see a bunch of these coins come thru the PCGS grading process in the next few months? Will PCGS continue to use the Albrecht "one die set rule" to determine authenticity or will we see other than the three documented diagnostics applied? I would anticipate that ANY of these coins that PCGS slabs as Genuine will be worth at least $1,000 and maybe much more. If I didn't own one myself I would definately pay good money to add one to my collection. Do any of you know for a fact that PCGS has previously body bagged a legitimate 1909VDB MPL? I'm interested in everyone's comments especially those here who NEED this coin for their collection of MPL's. Thanks.
Steve image

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    hey steve,

kinda ol news here as i've been advocating this since inception of the genuine service as it can be included in set registry

someone confided to me having a 09 vdb impaired proof but has yet to do anything with it....oh well

sadly enough i'd think a descent looking genuine would surpass a grand easy as there's just too many awaiting an affordable example

i project a few in the future and topping $3k easy
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why just a 1909 VDB, I am betting other MPL's in general could pop up. But of course you reference the 1909 VDB because of all the right reasons, and if it "counted" towards 100% completion in a registry set, it would go for over $4,000 easily. In fact, I think you only need to look at the 1856 Flying eagle cent to see what a crapola key coin in a series would bring. Even if the grade is high enough, folks will pay $1,000 just for a damaged 09 SVDB.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'ld pay $4000 for any "genuine" 09 VDB MPL.

I know of someone who had 2 09 VDB MPLs that were bodybagged.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I know of someone who had 2 09 VDB MPLs that were bodybagged. >>

Dave,
    Do you know if the person still has the two coins and if so, will he submit them to PCGS under the new Genuine service?
    Steveimage
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve,

I do not know if he still has the coins.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear