Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My New Collecting Focus - Mantle Baby (W/scans)

So - After deciding I had lost all interest in finishing off a mid-grade 56' baseball set, I decided to sell and use the $$ to acquire a nice mid-grade Mantle collection.

I already had the 56'. It was last years x-mass present from my wife. Darn her, I thought after all these years she understood centering a little better. Anyway, who am I to complain.

So, I sold the 56 set on E-Bay (without the Mantle), and so far have use the funds for the 66', and two 63's.

I'm going to shoot for all 6's, and pray someday the wife comes through again for the 52'.

Anyway, I'll update this thread with my progress. Enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Great start.....keep us updated. I did a similar thing, Sold my 1960 set and bought a t206 Cobb and some other pre-war. I Just needed a change i guess, sounds like you did too.
  • Options
    Yeah, you got that '63 off eBay a couple days ago for $274.99 plus the 25% off I presume. Nice buy... I had been watching it.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Yep - Busted me.

Was the first time I tried the cashback thing. Just finally registered with microsoft, but still having problems tying my e-bay account to it.

No worries, I'm sure I'll get my 25% back eventually. Even if I don't, I think it was still a good buy. There's a few more 6's out there with tempting BIN's, but I'm old school, and have a preference for the auction format (USUALLY less $$).
  • Options
    That was the cheapest 6 and not a bad looking card either.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I have a Mantle collection started also. Ive had too many other things going on lately that have taken my money away. Keep your eyes out for 6.5's and 7's cuz sometimes you can get real nice ones for a steal. Wish I had something extra for you to help you out. I have..
    1959 AS PSA 7
    1961 PSA 7
    1961 MVP PSA 6
    1961 HR Ldrs PSA 7
    1962 AS PSA 6
    1962 HR Ldrs PSA 7
    1962 In Action PSA 7
    1962 Managers Dream PSA 6
    1963 Bombers Best SGC 84
    1965 RBI Ldrs PSA 7
    1965 HR Ldrs PSA 7
    1967 PSA 7
    1968 PSA 7
    1968 Super Stars PSA 7

Those are the ones from memory. I may have a couple of others that I dont remember image

But good luck Bob! Mantles are a blast to collect!
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I have about 300 different Topps Mantle cards produced in 2007 and 2008 image

• Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys,

I have a very nice Mantle had planned on cracking and submitting to PSA for possible upgrade. Would like to sell to use money for my 56 set. Kind of ironic that Bob S sold his 56 set to collect Mantles and I am trying to do just the opposite.

If anyone has an interest let me know and will figure out a price...would also be willing to put on ebay so you can use the Microsoft Discount.

Jeff

Here is my favorite 56 for my set...need to crack this one.

• Options
    Hey Jeff -

Nice card, but the centering is just a tad outside of the tolerance I'm trying to meet. If it was just a touch better, I'd snap it up.

Good luck.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, that's weird I bought a PSA 6 to cross to SGC (I had a couple Mantles graded by SGC), never have crossed it. Bob, you can't go wrong collecting the Mick.
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Bob,

You can't go wrong with collecting Mickey Mantle. There are not many better hobby related feeling than knowing you have a graded Mantle coming in the mail. I plan on getting a graded 65 after Christmas.
  • Options
    Added this one over the weekend. Wasn't going to do the Post cards, but what the heck. Since these are hand cut, I think paying a premium for "graded" ones is crazy - so I settled for just an Auth. (Price was right too).

• Options
    And this one - today.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it. Where's the baby?
  • Options
    Just for you:

• Options
    Bored this AM, so snatched this one up with the MSN Cashback. It was instant too, that is awesome.

• Options
    One more this AM. Has a slight tilt to it, but these 64's are hard to find dead-nuts centered. Will upgrade to a 6 someday, but this one looked great for a lowly 5.

• Options
    That 67 is sharp. If it looks as good in hand, I would be tempted to crack it and send to PSA.
  • Options
    Well, if I ever decide to sell them off (which will happen, it always does), there may be a few cracker's. For the life of me I can't tell why the 66 is not an 8.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Hey Bob
    Is there a slight tilt to the 66? Im just wondering if that is the reason for the 6? If there was no tilt and you get to that point that you would want to sell that one, let me know cuz Id be interested.
    Thanks
    Barry
  • Options
    Been a few weeks but snagged this one last night. I'll upgrade to a 6 or 7 in time, but I've been looking for a nicely centered 68 for a while.

• Options
    Great stuff. Keep em comin.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    The Mick cards are looking very good. Keep em coming and enjoy!

Brian
  • Options
    Bob, Good Stuff, Very Nice PSA 5. I am looking for a 68 and 69 as my the next two Mantles to add to my newly started Mantle Basic Set.
  • Options
    Great value in those centered mid-grades. Nice job!image

Robert
  • Options
    Matt -

If you're just getting started, I have an excel spreadsheet with 1955-69 closed E-bay prices, 5's-6's, that I've been building for a while. Has helped me on a few buys. I don't have VCP at my disposal.

Let me know if you'd like it. Just PM me your e-mail.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    PM sent
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just for you:

image >>

lol, I just saw this image
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Great collection Bob. Mid grade Mantle's are a great value!
  • Options