Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Griffey UD rookie auto

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150309343771

I thought this one ended a little high, don't you think? The autograph looks kinda messy too

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21

Comments

• Options
    I actually think that's a very fair price. I do agree though that his auto looks better with a thinner point pen. I wonder if Navarro has one of these yet, his collection is awesome!
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I believe he does have this card signed already. It's certainly a good one to own. I've had an extremely hard time finding a '90 Leaf Thomas auto, especially one with a period signature. I'd expect such a piece to land at least as much money, if not more, among Thomas collectors.

Edited because I said "does has"
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe he does have this card signed already. It's certainly a good one to own. I've had an extremely hard time finding a '90 Leaf Thomas auto, especially one with a period signature. I'd expect such a piece to land at least as much money, if not more, among Thomas collectors.

Edited because I said "does has" >>

I have to ask what might be a dumb question....how do you know if an auto is a 'period signature'?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe he does have this card signed already. It's certainly a good one to own. I've had an extremely hard time finding a '90 Leaf Thomas auto, especially one with a period signature. I'd expect such a piece to land at least as much money, if not more, among Thomas collectors.

Edited because I said "does has" >>

I have to ask what might be a dumb question....how do you know if an auto is a 'period signature'? >>

I was thinking about the same question.
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • Options
    It did end high, I bought one this summer for around $130. If thats the going price I may be selling soon.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Yep, I've got this one. Bought it earlier this year, I paid $110.00 for mine non-slabbed and then I got it slabbed for $15.00. I've seen a couple go as high as the one that austinchau pointed out on ebay. I guess it's a pretty popular card. I remember the card as kind of the introduction of the new breed of trading cards, out with the old, in with the new kinda stuff.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>I have to ask what might be a dumb question....how do you know if an auto is a 'period signature'? >>

I do the same thing with McGwire items. Some athletes signature changes quite often through the course of their career. Once you learn their signatures, its easy to tell when they signed it. McGwire's sig has "morphed" a little bit many times, and it's very easy for me to tell when he signed the item since I'm so familiar with his signature.
  • Options
    Ditto........

• Options
    I got mine signed in person in 1989 at the only card show Griffey ever did here in Seattle. -Jason

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    It's a popular card to find signed. The end price for the one austinchau posted does seem a little high though.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    To add pictures to what Jay has already said...

I know this particular autograph would no longer be seen come Spring Training 1991...therefore it was signed in 1990 or sometime in very early 1991, making it a fairly period piece.

Anyway, from there Frank's auto took several turns, I can recognize about 6 different periods just off the top of my head.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is there no grade assigned to it? Extra $$ outside of the authentication?
    Nolan Ryan's signature has 3 very distinct eras.
  • Options
    Randy Johnson's auto has changed significantly since he rookie years too, but if you look close, you can see the resemblance...