Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Schmidt- Here's one for you. . .

Check out eBay# 1805631831

What do you think? $500? $600?

Mike
So full of action, my name should be a verb.

Comments

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Is the Schmidt a great nine? It seems to me there have been eights
    that seemed centered better. I'm sure it meets the centering requirements
    for a nine. Also, does the to right corner / edge have a very slight
    touch of wear? I sure would like a better scan before dropping the
    big $$$ it's going take to buy this. Would you all be disappointed
    if you spent so much and the card did not meet your expectations?
    I hate when I spend money on an upgrade only to feel my current inventory
    is better or as good!

I'm sure Schmidt is the guy to review this card and offer an accurate
    assessment of it. I'm no expert on the 75 Schmidt's although I have
    been looking at them for a high end eight or at one time a nine.

Maybe I'm too picky!

aconte
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    If he's basing his reserve off the $600 Rose, it might be higher than that.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    conte> I did notice the centering is a little off, though within the limits for a 9. When I look at auctions, I much prefer a SCAN. Most people aren't good enough photographers to do pictures where you can actually see the necessary details for an educated decision. Not only did this guy take a mediocre picture, but he couldn't be bothered to take the card out of the baggie. Looking at the other picture which covers just the label, the top right corner looks OK, but it's still tough to be certain.

Mike
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    The seller did not have a BIN, and has not answered my e-mails (very generous trade offers, etc.)

The picture is not as great as I would like, either. These cards are always better handled than seen from a computer. The centering looks fair -- definitely not ideal. However, I don't see any print difficulties (horrible on '75s!), and I just don't have enough information on the corner to tell.

I know at least two or three people that have sent in large numbers of 1975 Topps that have come straight from vending or other sources. They have consistently had problems finding a Schmidt card to even grade out at 8. Oh well.

Hard to guess on final hammer price.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I was wondering when mikeschmidt was going to reply to this post. The card has not been on ebay in a PSA 9 since I can remember. Looks like a nice card and deserving of the grade. Its in a PSA 9 holder what more could you want. I wonder how much this card will go for? I thought offers to end an auction early, ie trades, were against ebay policy.
    Have you hugged your baseball cards today?
  • Options
    Bobcat> I would call it a 9, but the L/R centering wouldn't allow me to call it a "solid 9". And that would affect the value I attatched to it. The fact that there is still quite a bit of high-quality raw 75s still out there would also affect the value I put on that card. Why should I bid a crazy amount when the chances of finding one to submit myself are still decent?

"Its in a PSA 9 holder what more could you want. " --- remember. . .buy the card and not the holder.

Mike
  • Options
    The card looks pretty well centered to me. From the scan I would say 55/45 l/r or 60/40 at worst and near perfect t/b. I could not agree with you more "buy the card not the holder". There are some buyers/collectors that feel a 9 is a 9 and feel comfortable with the assigned grade. Set registry participants will take a PSA 9 high or low grade and they will both have the same consideration. I realize that there are many more yet to be graded, but how many will be mint. the price of $330 is too much right now.
    Have you hugged your baseball cards today?
  • Options
    Is eBay ID 'Drivard' on the boards here? He won the '72 set highlighed above. I was tempted to bid on that and a few other sets listed by 'crazycanuck' but it looked like there was too much variability in the quality of the scanned star cards in those sets (1969, 1971, 1972, 1973). I'm always worried about someone taking an EX-MT or NM set, adding a few PSA 8 star cards and calling the set NM/MT. I've been burned by that before. Several of the key cards are significantly OC. The '72 Aaron looks real nice but it appears there are print splotches on it which is a fairly common problem with that card. Also, I get nervous when someone scans a Jim Palmer instead of a higher dollar card like the Rose or some of the star in-action cards.

I'd be interested to find out if the set was as advertised. $1700 is a pretty strong bid for that set. I've picked up several NM-NM/MT sets for $1000-$1200. Even got a few in the $600-$800 range but I doubt I'll run across those types of deals again.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    WOW. . .NINE-HUNDRED-SEVENTY-FIVE BUCKS!!!!

Incredible!

Mike
  • Options
    What I found interesting is that there were three bidders above $950 -- kind of makes the SMR of $210 look a little foolish, doesn't it?
    POTD = 09/03/2003
  • Options
    DrNguyen> No less foolish than 90% of the other SMR prices for vintage PSA9s I suppose.

Mike
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Well -- this was the first example to sell publically in over three years, so I can imagine that SMR would not be able to properly price this card! (After all, a PSA 9 rookie card sells for around $1,200....)

I was surprised to see some of the bidders up near the end, too. Thank goodness I'm done!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.