Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about this 1972 Fisk RC

I was looking at my two 1972 Fisk RCs today and noticed than one was larger than the other. If you look at the scan, the card on top is larger and the color tone is slightly different. The color tone of the back is different as well. The size of the card on top is larger than a standard size 1972 Topps card. Is the card on top possibly counterfeit or simply a factory miscut? Any help is appreciated, as I do not want to pass it on to anyone else if it is indeed counterfeit.

Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

Comments

• Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Wow that is bad. How do they compare top to bottom?
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Top to bottom is the same size.

• Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Could we scans of the backs?
  • Options

<< <i>Could we scans of the backs? >>

• Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Which of the 2 cards measures 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" ?

PoppaJ
  • Options
    The bottom (smaller) card in each scan.

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    I used photoshop to overlay one onto the other. I made one of them slightly transparent, so you can see the size difference.
    The yellow border around the card is almost perfectly on top of the other, so I'd say that the chances of it being a fake are small.
    Looks like a factory miscut to me.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>The bottom (smaller) card in each scan. >>

////////////////////

I was hoping that it was the top card that measured 3 1/2" x 2 1/2"; then we could have at least suspected trimming of the bottom card ... but now it's back to square one.

Sorry, I'm lost on this one. I just can't see someone counterfeiting a Fisk rookie by making it larger. Factory Miscut? Maybe.

Try calling Topps Customer Relations @ 1-800-489-9149.

or maybe call PSA @ 1-800-325-1121 to ask if you could send a scan of the cards for an opinion of one of the graders.

On a side note, I commend you for not trying to pass it on to anyone else image

Good luck,

PoppaJ

• Options
    Thanks. Neat trick. Are counterfeit Fisk cards common? If so, what are the characteristics?

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Common counterfeit for that card is pretty easy to spot. Look at the stars above cecil cooper under magnification. If the stars are outlined in clear black lines, the card should be legit, if the black lines are made up of tiny print dots it's a fake.

From the same book - talking specifically about that card -

Edited to add - sheet cut?

• Options
    I checked the printing under magnification and the black lines are all solid. No print dots or pixels.

Looks like it was just cut large from the factory. Thanks for all the help.

• Options
    That is one of the ways the expert trimmers get cards into 9 holders image
  • Options

<< <i>That is one of the ways the expert trimmers get cards into 9 holders image >>

LOL. Luckily one of the bottom corners is dinged enough that trimming wouldn't help the grade too much.

• Options

great, what book is that from..

can you let me know, thanks
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options

oversized topps cards are not that "uncommon".

Yeard ago I had a bunch of crads sent in to PSa, and I noticed that a 65 cepeda came in a different internal slap than the others.

I called them just to find out why and

the card was oversized, but the disd not regect it or qualify it, I was hoping for an 8 but it came back a 7....

In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....