Home Sports Talk
Options

How is Bama still ranked #1?

Can someone please explain this to me. I thought the BCS was supposed to get this crap right. Bama has played no one and looked bad doing it, while
TT has played and beat 5 quality teams and still can't get there. Next week they have to play a powerful Oklahoma team and Bama draws a weak weak
Auburn team. What a joke.

JS

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (yawn)

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    How can the crimNoles be ranked at all - they play the softest schedule and as part of the All Crap Conf, the rest of those teams are cupcakes

I mean come on, Wake Forest the defending ACC Champs!

Commie boy you are forbidden to talk smack until the Free Shoes Univ plays and beats anyone ranked!

Bye Bye
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • Options
    Bama is #1 because they are an undefeated team from one of the Top 2 conferences in the land.
    Texas Tech is #2 because they are still undefeated in another of the Top 2 conferences.

It's simple math.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>Bama is #1 because they are an undefeated team from one of the Top 2 conferences in the land.
    Texas Tech is #2 because they are still undefeated in another of the Top 2 conferences.

It's simple math. >>

Did you read what I said? Bama has played no one. I don't care if they play in the SEC. TT has played a MUCH harder schedule, I thought this was factored in.

JS
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Did you read what I said? Bama has played no one. I don't care if they play in the SEC. TT has played a MUCH harder schedule, I thought this was factored in.

JS >>

Joe, Texas Tech is #1 in the computers. It's only the human polls that don't have them at the top. but I disagree somewhat about Alabama. Yes, Tech should be #1, but Bama HAS played tough games and a lot of them on the road. They won AT Georgia and AT LSU, AT Tennessee, AT Arkansas and AT Clemson. That's not a cupcake schedule by any means. Then they have to play Auburn at home and Florida on a neutral field. If they go undefeated, they absolutely deserve to play for the national championship.

But that won't happen. It's going to be Florida against Texas lol.
  • Options
    Can someone please explain this to me. I thought the BCS was supposed to get this crap right. Bama has played no one and looked bad doing it, while

Who are the five “quality” teams TT has beat? They have played Eastern Washington, Nevada, SMU, Mass, Kansas State, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Kansas, Texas, OK State. I would say they have played three “quality” teams.

And, Alabama has played Clemson, Tulane, Western Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Arkansas State, LSU, and Mississippi State. I would say they have beat four “quality” teams.

How did you come up with your analysis? And FSU sucks!
    Haiku’s are easy
    But sometimes don’t make sense
    Refrigerator
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Who cares who is ranked #1? If Alabama beats Florida they go to the title game, if they do not they won't. Alabama's schedule is a little soft, but only because three opponents (Clemson, Tennessee, and Auburn) were much weaker than anticipated. I have no problem with the Big 12 champ playing the SEC champ for the title. At least we will not be cursed with a team from the Little 10. Until we have a playoff, we will have injustices. See Auburn from a few years ago.
  • Options
    Is Georgia even ranked now? That is their best game? Clemson...LSU....Tenn....please, they suck. TT has played and beaten top 10 schools. Bama will go the whole
    regular season without playing one, and dont tell me GA is a top 10 team, they arn't!

Is there anyone here who can actually say that Bama's schedule rivals TT's schedule? Not even close.

JS
  • Options
    Is Georgia even ranked now? That is their best game? Clemson...LSU....Tenn....please, they suck. TT has played and beaten top 10 schools. Bama will go the wholeregular season without playing one, and dont tell me GA is a top 10 team, they arn't!

Is there anyone here who can actually say that Bama's schedule rivals TT's schedule? Not even close.

You still have not answered my question. What “five quality” teams has Texas Tech beat? I almost forgot, FSU SUCKS!
    Haiku’s are easy
    Refrigerator
  • Options

We'll see how bad the SEC schedule is when FSU gets their azz kicked in two weeks!
    Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989
  • Options
    I have to agree with joestalin. Texas Tech should be ranked #1 right now. The way I see it, Alabama has two quality wins (at Georgia and at LSU). Neither one of those teams are ranked in the Top Ten right now. Texas Tech also has two quality wins (Texas and Oklahoma State). Both of those of those teams are ranked higher than Alabama's opponents and Texas is still a Top Five team.

dilfer - If you say Alabama played "four" quality teams, you should probably tell us who they were. Besides Georgia and LSU, seven of those teams you listed have losing records. If you want to include the two that don't....Kentucky (6-5) and Ole Miss (6-4), then you should probably include Kansas (6-5) and Nebraska (7-4) as quality wins for TTech, because Kansas was ranked in the Top Twenty when TTech beat them and Nebraska also beat Kansas.

markj111 - Your "Little 10" comment will come back to haunt you. Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan State are all lurking. Keep a close eye on them in the bowls!

Now if you go by the whole "it's not how you start, it's how you finish"...........Texas Tech has started and finished strong. They have been rolling their opponents since the first week of the season. They have also just completed a three game sweep of ranked opponents. Two of those victories were by 42 and 36 points. The other was against the #1 ranked team in the nation.

The only reason Alabama remains #1 is because the media is in love with the SEC and they want SEC vs Big 12 in the Championship. It's going to be a disaster at the end though, because Texas Tech is going to win out against Oklahoma and the Big12 Championship. They will have no choice, but to put them at #1. Then Alabama is going to lose to Auburn, but beat Florida in the SEC Championship. That will drop Alabama and Florida a notch. Which means, Texas is going to be above both of them. Then we'll have (1)Texas Tech, (2)Texas..........then who comes next, USC with one lose, Alabama with a late season loss or an undefeated Utah team???? Can we even have two teams from the same conference playing for the National Championship?
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter. Florida's running this thing. Get your bets in now.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>Is there anyone here who can actually say that Bama's schedule rivals TT's schedule? Not even close.

We'll see how bad the SEC schedule is when FSU gets their azz kicked in two weeks! >>

You said it..the SEC is only Florida right now, and Bama hasn't played them! You want to pretend you are in a tough conf, but you don't play the toughest team!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>

You said it..the SEC is only Florida right now, and Bama hasn't played them! You want to pretend you are in a tough conf, but you don't play the toughest team!

JS >>

They play them in the SEC championship game.
  • Options
    Can someone please explain this to me. I thought the BCS was supposed to get this crap right. Bama has played no one and looked bad doing it, whileTT has played and beat 5 quality teams and still can't get there. Next week they have to play a powerful Oklahoma team and Bama draws a weak weakAuburn team. What a joke.

You still have not answered my question. What “five quality” teams has Texas Tech beat? The fact that you keep avoiding answering this question shows how pathetic you truly are.
    Haiku’s are easy
    Refrigerator
  • Options

<< <i>Doesn't matter. Florida's running this thing. Get your bets in now. >>

You are correct sir.

As far as SEC strength, remember Georgia came into this season ranked #1 - they were a VERY good team until injuries took their toll, Not quite enough depth. And LSU, defending nat'l champs, played strong all season, and took the #1 team in the nation to overtime. As far as what happened last week I have no idea.

Auburn & Arkansas & Tennesse were much weaker this year, however they usually put up good numbers year in & year out. Good news there is Vandy finally gets a bowl game (first since '82!).

I'll tip my hat to the Big 12 (this year) but in the end it won't matter, because the SEC wins the nat'l championship for the third year in a row. GO GATORS!!
  • Options
    Double post
  • Options
    You can't judge Bama on who they might play, they haven't played anyone yet. T Tech has played Nebraska 7-4, Texas 10-1, OK St. 9-2 and OK 9-1 (sat.)??? THAT doesn't
    get you to #1? Clemson, Tenn, Georgia and LSU looked like a tough schedule, but we all know it wasn't. The polls can't admit they had it wrong? They can't admit
    that the fifth best team in the Big 12, is probably better than the entire SEC save for Bama and Fla? It makes me sick that Texas Tech plays a pro schedule and if they
    have one slip up some crappy other team who played no one (like USC) is going to sneak in to the title game.
  • Options
    You're giving too much credit to the Big 12 this year. They all have swiss cheese defenses. I've watched many of their games, and
    the secondary coverage on many of the plays are embarrassing. The SEC has the best defenses in the country. The Big 12 may have
    the best offenses.

Alabama is #1 in my opinion because they impose their will on you on the defensive and offensive lines. Texas Tech appears to have
    decent lines too, but Tech's secondary is lame compared to Bama's.

And everyone raves about Tech's wide receiver, well Bama has Julio Jones (freshman) who is just as good. Bama's RB is better
    then Tech's, and Bama's special team/ kicking game (Fitzgerald) is second to none. Fitzgerald is easily the best punter in the nation.
    Time after time he puts it inside the 10 without putting it in the end zone. Bama has won games this year on special teams alone.

Bama vs. Florida is the real championship game.

• Options
    Whoever wins the Big Twelve will play the SEC champ for the title-assuming no one has more than one loss. OK if Alabama loses to Auburn but beats Florida, they might not get in.

What's the big deal about TT's being ranked #2? If they win out, they are in the big game. Of course, they are unlikely to beat Okalahoma.

How about this scenario-you are a two time defending national champion, you have a perfect season in a power conference, beat a top 10 team like a rented mule in the bowl game, and finish #3 behind two teams that did not have perfect seasons and did not play in a bowl game. Now there is a reason to complain.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    they need to play wvuimage
  • Options
    How is Bama still ranked #1?

They havent lost any games
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • Options
    Where are the TT boosters? I can not find them.
  • Options
    Yeah, now why was that TT should be ranked #1 again?
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options

<< <i>How is Bama still ranked #1?

They havent lost any games >>

image That pretty much sums it up.