Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is the Lincoln memorial set going to be a "closed" set after 2008?

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think so.
Doug

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure hope so. The rest of the civilized world has managed to figure out that the cent was not needed over 15 years ago.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    After '08 or after '09?
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    I would think so.
    With 20 different 2009s coming out, it'll be enough cents to be a set of its own. Assuming theres business strikes, satins & proofs.

Can't wait to search for the No Edge Lettering.image Just kidding, but change isn't the mints strong point.
  • Options
    I hope the Memorial set ends with 2008, but if you look at Jefferson Nickels and Washington Quarters, you get mixed signals from PCGS. The Quarter series ended with the start of the state quarter series, but nickels kept right on going through the special series and even now with the new obverse, the nickel set continues on. Seems like logically the Memorials series should end with 2008, closing the set with 1959 to 2008, much like the Wheat series of 1909 to 1958, then start a new series of 2009 to date with the special coins for 2009 and then continuing on with whatever new reverse they come up with for 2010 and forward. My understanding is that starting in 2010, same obverse as before, with an as yet undetermined new reverse.

Dan
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sure hope so. The rest of the civilized world has managed to figure out that the cent was not needed over 15 years ago.

WS >>

Well, not quite.

• Options
    Dan, I agree with you and that is what prompted the question. Maybe we should give PCGS some feedback before they make a decision. It's hard to change it once a decision has been made.

(Thanks for posting. It's always nice to have the #1 guy give an opinion!!)
    Doug
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dan, I agree with you and that is what prompted the question. Maybe we should give PCGS some feedback before they make a decision. It's hard to change it once a decision has been made.

(Thanks for posting. It's always nice to have the #1 guy give an opinion!!) >>

Doug (and Dan too),
    Here is my take on this. (1) The memorial series isn't over until we get to 2009. (2) There is a possibility that the new Congress can write new legislation affecting 2010 and beyond. (3) The way PCGS has handled the nickel situation IN THE SHORT TERM is correct IMHO. (4) There is no REAL need to separate the one cent series RIGHT NOW. (5) If things proceed as expected, then maybe in 2010 or 2011 they can officially end the memorial series and start another one. (6) Those of us that collect "Lincoln Cents" generally collect 1909 to date anyway. (7) The subsets will always be available and have and WILL change in the future based on Set Registry demand. (8)As stated by PCGS many times in the past "The Set Registry is a work in progress". AND # 9... I wonder how PCGS will handle the Memorial subset of Genuine Lincoln cents? JMHO.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    I understand Steve, but I think there is a difference.

Lincoln Cents, 1909-present - set should include wheats, memorials, and "bicentennials" (along with any future Lincoln obverses)

Lincoln Cents, Wheat Reverse, is a closed set

Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse, should be a closed set with the 2008 coins.

The "Lincoln" series will not be a closed set until Lincoln comes off the obverse, or they go ahead and kill the cent coin. Frankly, I don't know why they would take Lincoln off if they are contemplating the death of the cent coin. Just let Abe run to the end ... but please don't get any more cartoonish with his mug than it is right now. I would vote to go back to a more traditional portrait.

I'm not saying I won't collect the bicentennial cents, but with the memorial set closed, the top sets can rise from within. I mean would an MS70 2009 cent really improve the quality of the overall memorial set? I think it is just a tax on keeping the important parts of the set at the top of the hill.

Doug
  • Options
    Doug,
    I'm not disagreeing about your list. I just think it is premature to "end" the memorial series subset and "start" another subset in 2009. I'd wait a couple of years to see how things ACtUALLY work out before changing the subset registry. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    Steve's nightmare:

[Steve is happily sitting at his desk reading the boards and eyeballing his Lincolns]

[Enter Steve's wife, stage left]

"Well Steve, I read in the paper this morning that the Lincoln Memorial series is over. I guess that means no more coin for you!!!"

Steve: "But, honeybun, sweetcakes, we don't know what the Mint is going to do after 2009 .... I must still collect them!!!"

Steve's wife: "Sorry, I remember on June 6, 1992, when you begged me just to let you collect them until they ended the series."

Steve: "I don't remember saying that!!!!"

Steve's wife: "I do."

Steve, if you need an excuse to give your wife when you buy the 2009 coins, we will back you up!! LOL!!!!!
    Doug
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Logic would dictate yes; but we are talking about the U.S. government here so No
  • Options
    Doug,
    It wasn't the memorial Lincolns I had to convince my wife about. It was the 1909VDB MPL I wanted to bid on in 2002. Now THAT took a lot of arm twisting and negotiation believe me!
    Steveimage