Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PCGS Announces "No More Body Bags" Effective 12/1/08 ...

PCGS Introduces Genuine Program
by Don Willis

No more body bags! PCGS is introducing a major change in its grading process, effective for submissions received after December 1, 2008. Coins that would have previously been no-graded and returned in a body bag will now be placed in a regular PCGS holder and labeled simply "Genuine." Of course this applies only to coins that have been verified to be authentic. PCGS is dropping its Genuine-only service level. Now coins can be holdered in Genuine holders regardless of the service level for which they are submitted. Variety and attribution services will be provided for Genuine coins. For example, if you submit a number of Early Half Dollars with the Overton variety requested, your coins (assuming they are authentic) will be holdered with the Overton variety and grade or with the Overton variety and Genuine (see the PCGS website for a description of grading standards at www.pcgs.com/grades.chtml. This service will also apply to crossovers, so all your coins can now be in PCGS holders.

Comments

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess its better than ANACS, who will put the kiss of death with "Cleaned" or "Corroded" on the slab. It does seem lousy that now you wont get 'questionable color' or at least some other sensible explanation of why the coin was not graded. Now its just "NOPE". (period)

It will cut down on resubmissions to the home team though of BB coins...in hopes of getting a different grader. Though of course I suppose you can always crack them out and resubmit.

Probably very shortly on ebay we will see "RARE PCGS BODYBAGGED COiN" Guaranteed authentic Body Bag, no longer made collectors item!!
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I can understand PCGS's desire to increase business in these hard times by offering slabbed "Genuine" coins in PCGS holders. I just think it would be nice if ALL the "genuine" coins were put in PCGS slabs with PINK labels while all the graded coins remain in the light BLUE labels. Makes it easier to identify.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    "...It does seem lousy that now you wont get 'questionable color' or at least some other sensible explanation of why the coin was not graded."

I couldn't agree more. How inferior to not include the reason on the label.

"...I just think it would be nice if ALL the "genuine" coins were put in PCGS slabs with PINK labels..."

Definitely agree that a different color is warranted (BUT I believe a poll would be in order as to the actual color image ).
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the flood of problem coins after this starts will make getting gradable coins though with "Genuine" on the holder that much harder.

What good is a holder that says nothing, except it is real.

Is a "Genuine" coin with questionable color equal to a "Genuine" coin with tooling?

On the other hand perhaps now we'll see registry sets for all "Genuine" sets.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    I'd rather have a genuine horribly corroded '55 DDO than a nice shiny new (well made) counterfeit one.

I think besides with the LONGSTANDING groaning of the masses for at least SOME form of this move as well as the competitive pressure (and the millions in grading fees going to NCS, ANACS, & others for problem coins) of the other grading services, the abundance of well made counterfeits has made the time right (if not overwhelmingly overdue).
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

WHAT IS A BODY BAG ?

Stewart
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"...It does seem lousy that now you wont get 'questionable color' or at least some other sensible explanation of why the coin was not graded."

I couldn't agree more. How inferior to not include the reason on the label.

"...I just think it would be nice if ALL the "genuine" coins were put in PCGS slabs with PINK labels..."

Definitely agree that a different color is warranted (BUT I believe a poll would be in order as to the actual color image ). >>

Perhaps they will still list the reason with your online grading results. I hope so -- I still want to know why my coin was no-graded.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    What is a Body Bag?? LOL That is a term that most basic coin collectors know. It is used mainly for the unwashed masses as longarce says. A body bag is a inferior coins that the owner had hoped to avoid to increase his profit from the unwashed masses.

All kidding aside- Steward has never had a coin Body Bagged??
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    "WHAT IS A BODY BAG ?

Stewart"

Stewart - Don't you watch CSI -Miami? It's a scientific term. At the morgue, when a person has died, they are wrapped and stored in a plastic bag for decomposition purposes; that's called a "body bag". Just technical medical jargon... Horatio Caine uses the term all the time.

I just watch a lot of TV.

Duane
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen PCGS "Genuine" on a 1943 Copper with a huge gouge in the surface.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, I also like the idea of a different color for the new PCGS genuine labels.

Perhaps indeed a poll would be in order?

But PLEASE, not the ANACS harvest, putrid, puke, autumn, gold, orange, tangerine, yellow, or whatever you want to call it color?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had considered buying that 1943....but was talked out of it by two dealers. The scratch came from the young fellow who discovered it....it was his (rather poor) method of determining if it WAS copper. (oh why oh why did he not just get a magnet??) I think its last sale price was 50K. (1/2 the ask)
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>This service will also apply to crossovers, so all your coins can now be in PCGS holders. >>

I asked this in the other thread but got no answer so i'll ask it here as well. Does this mean if a coin doesn't quite make the grade, it will be put into a "Genuine" holder? If so, I probably will not be attempting many crossovers in the future unless there is an opt out box...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This service will also apply to crossovers, so all your coins can now be in PCGS holders. >>

I asked this in the other thread but got no answer so i'll ask it here as well. Does this mean if a coin doesn't quite make the grade, it will be put into a "Genuine" holder? If so, I probably will not be attempting many crossovers in the future unless there is an opt out box... >>

Will PCGS crack a crossover, that does not meet minimum grade, and return it in a body bag? That will answer the question, although I am sure you already know that answer.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had considered buying that 1943....but was talked out of it by two dealers. The scratch came from the young fellow who discovered it....it was his (rather poor) method of determining if it WAS copper. (oh why oh why did he not just get a magnet??) I think its last sale price was 50K. (1/2 the ask) >>

Whoa! Stories like those give me the heebie-jeebies! Like those stories of people who harshly silver polish beautifully originally toned early silver because they think it will bring a better price at the coin shop. I heard tell of a woman who had an original set of BU Indian Head cents, and the day before she brought them in to sell them, she harshly cleaned them all until they were all pink. image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Will PCGS crack a crossover, that does not meet minimum grade, and return it in a body bag? That will answer the question, although I am sure you already know that answer. >>

The NEW submission application will have a line where you can opt out of Genuine slabbing and get the rejects in a body bag as is currently done. Steveimage
  • Options
    PCGS Pres. Don Willis has provided most of the further needed clarifications on the US Coin Forum.