Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

do you compete with other set builders?

i just passed the mighty zardos with my small 1992 bowman set and while i mean no disrespect it felt good . im pretty sure that zardos is not competing and that he has his hands full the the 71 set. but nevertheless passing him was a good feeling. how do u guys view your own particular competition? or your set builder counterpart in case you dont see them as competition. thanks Ethan
"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
Groucho Marx

Comments

• Options
    Actually, I can't compete monetarily. These guys have more resources and expertise in the field than I do.

If anyone wants to make an offer on the 6th Finest 72 Topps Baseball Set from the Registry, you can email me at dwedge@clevelandnet.com.

Thanks,

Dale
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    The competition is greatest felt when my fellow 1951 Bowman set collectors are throwing their large wads of cash at the same cards that I want to buy.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I really don't compete against any of the others on the registry for any of the sets I'm doing.
    For example. . .with the 75 set, I have the top set on the registry right now. But I also know Frank Smith (who has the #2 set) is VERY close behind me, and is doing the set primarily in very high-end 8s or 9s. His is definitely the better set, in my opinion. There are also a couple guys with the 75 set who are further along than me, with a lot more 9s who have chosen not to add their sets to the registry yet. Knowing this, it would be foolish to get too coc-ky about things. Frank and I occasionally trade good-natured shots about it, but it's never serious.

And I also know that as soon as Frank chooses to register his 79 set, I move to 2nd place. Big deal.

While I think you can have fun with the registry placings and use it to have fun with your fellow set builders, I think ultimately your set has to be for you and for your own reasons. Simply collecting to have a better set than this person or that person doesn't make any sense to me.

And Dale. . .does this mean you're selling off your 72s?

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Dale,

Hey are you out??? What's going on?

Ethan.

I believe we all admire each others sets, and compete on a very small level. But nothing extreme.

Carlos
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    For the most part, the 65 guys (I should say people as we have a woman joining our ranks very soon image) don't have a competitive attitude towards each other. We respect the challenge and difficult in slabbing a set so large.

While on eBay we do occassionally compete against each other for cards, its not evil or mean spirited. I know I am very happy anytime someone's set improves.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Stopped emailing me, I'm not selling.

Dale
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I think if there is any competition it is short lived. My competition is within myself to complete a set in my time frame and within my budget. Currently I am listed #1 on the '68 registry. There are about a dozen behind me. My set is almost 70% complete w/ about 400 cards and 20% of those 9's. So I still need 200 cards incl the Ryan rc, and I know for a fact there are 4 or 5 un-registered sets that would destroy my set. So even if I maintain the #1 status forever on the registry, my set is still far from the best that has been assembled....jay
  • Options
    Dale,

You had us worried.

Carlos
  • Options
    I don't compete with other set builders except for cards listed on eBay, which is unavoidable. I've been destroyed by 'Gaspipe' on a few '69 commons recently and it looks like he'll get me on a few more. I don't mind though because it's nice to see all the great sets registered and that others are interested in the same sets I'm collecting. I also like to see what low pop cards others have been able to find. It gives me hope that I'll find them even though they never show up on eBay.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    Hurry up PSA and update my 1975 Set. I know I've got him now. With all those cards I entered Wednesday, Goldfinger (AKA Mike Castaldi since he received his PSA 10) doesn't stand a chance. I will blow him away. Why is this update taking so long? It never takes this long. Once this update is complete, I will take my proper place on top of the board. He can eat my dust for a change. I will be in the spotlight. I will rule! Oh...there is absolutely no competition with my fellow set collectors. I wish them the very best in their endeavors.
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.
    hmmmmmmm...Well there you go Mike. Late 70's has challenged you to a duel.
  • Options
    OK Mike. Do you want the pistols or the swords? Why is this update taking so long? (As I hit refresh again) LOL! Frank
    Hey Frank. . .
    Before you get too uppity, if you remember correctly I submitted 114 1972T - AND 48 1975s!
    We'll see how much dust I eat when I add the 33 PSA8s I have coming. image

Mike
  • Options
    Sorry Sir. I just had a moment there. I will resume my proper subordinate position and attitude. Please forgive me for my indiscretion. It will not happen again. Just do me a favor. Once you load those 33 PSA 8's, think of us little people every now and then. Frank
    Frank> You slay me!
    Glad to have you on the board.

Mike
  • Options
    ...AND ALL ENDS WELL.image
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    calleocho,

There is definitely competition out there. Some friendly, some not so friendly... Depends on the people that you run into. Most folks will help each other out where they can, but you do get the odd few that want WHAT they want, WHEN they want ALL OF THE TIME. I've been able to buy, sell and trade with Castaldi, Jarvi, Downey, Aponte, Montero and Wedge on the 72 Topps Baseball Set. We may razz each other from time to time and it still is a kick when you pass someone, but its done (usually) in a good natured way. Plus, you have to remember that we're not competing for the winning lottery numbers, high paying jobs, dating supermodels, etc. - in the end its only basbeall cards so we really can't (at least I can't) take it too seriously.

Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Frank,

You better hope that PSA is starting to grade your cards 'cause Eric is sprinting to the (1972 Baseball 100%) finish line.

...And down the stretch they come.

Carlos
  • Options
    1 The EJ Collection..............................................82.85%
    2 FB - 72 Topps ..................................................75.35%
    3 Carlos D. Aponte's Set ....................................66.45%
    4 The Downey and Sons Collection ...................63.53%
    5 Mike Castaldi's 72T Set ..................................60.23%
    6 1972 Topps Baseball Set of Dale B. Wedge.....43.07%
  • Options
    Carlos,
    If you're strictly going by completion percentage, I can assure you those numbers will change dramatically within the next week to 10 days.

Mike
  • Options
    72er's

Yes I have a slight lead over Frank.... But he is about to add who knows how many.... Mike Castaldi is no joke either, he's getting ready to post 70 new 8's in the coming days..... Down the stretch is right....

EJ
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8 or higher/1978 Topps Baseball PSA 9 or higher.
  • Options
    Actually to be honest Erik, when this submission comes in I'll be pushing 72% - before I start dealing duplicates off this submission - and before I go to the Sun-Times show.

And the way they are going, I would not be at all surprised to see Frank and Erik at 90%+ by the end of March.

Mike
  • Options
    Carlos,

Cards are on their way! But, I think that Erik paid off BJ so she'd take a few days off. I don't believe that a refresh will happen until she gets back. I have to admit - this is one of his more cunning plans... These 72 guys are a sneaky bunch... and I still agree with Zardoz.... you guys scare me. image
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Does anyone know who the new "1972 Topps" member is? Can't even look at his cards. MR. X?

Carlos
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    after getting smoked tonight on a run of psa 8 '53-54 parkies, a set that hopefully will be added to the registry sometime this week, i'd say that i compete with about five or six others on psa 7+ material. inclusion on the registry may create some solidarity among the set's collectors - and i hope it does - but right now, i just feel a lot of animosity.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    The 1972 set collectors are by far the most energetic and collaborative group on the registry. This camaraderie will translate to many successful collections. The rest of us should take notes!

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Ron,

I agree. But those 72 guys still scare the hell out of me on occassion. Just don't drink the cool-aidimage
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Hey Ron,

We're thinking about having our annual 72 collectors convention in conjunction with the Toad-Suck Daze Festival in Conway. Bring the wife and kiddies. You should see the t-shirts...image
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    FB,

Always heard of this Toad Suck festival in Conway, but I have never gone to it. I also hear rumors that there is alot of avid collectors in Conway, AR. Unfortunately, my tenure in Little Rock (actually Maumelle) is coming to an end. I will be a Florida gator in about 2 weeks (Gainesville, FL). I have met alot of knowledgeable collectors here (Arkansas), but the card shows at the Little Rock Expo center leave something to be desired. Does anyone know what the card collecting climate is like in central florida?

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Ron, it's hot and muggy, with occasionally heavy showers regardless of the season. Oh, you didn't mean that kind of weather. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.