Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1961 Franklin Proof Grades PR69DCAM! Pop 1/0!

There's a new top pop in town. I recently got a 1961 Franklin back that graded 69DCAM! A top pop of 1/0. To my knowledge the only other Proof Franklin half to have this honor in 69DCAM is a 1959 example. (cert # 12440817) I'll try to get some pics up soon after its delivered.

BIG Time LUCK!

Thank You for the kudos! I am still in a disbelief mode. This was not a crack out! The coin was in the original proof set packaging when I obtained it. I personally cut it out of the packaging and sent it in. As a matter of fact there were two sets and the other sets Franklin graded PR68DCAM (see cert #12440818). I still am a little dizzy! I have pics of the coins when they were in the proof packaging but with no distinct marking that I can tell besides slight rotation of the coins, they look the same. The two Franklins look like one was minted right after the other in the press. The cameo finish on both are virtually identical. I'll post a picture of the 68DCAM too so everyone can see it as well.

**************** (Sale of the coin is currently under consideration!) *******************

Here's some pictures;

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    We need pics image

Congrats image

Oh and welcome to the forum; way to start off with a bang!!!
  • Options
    WOW... you struck gold!! Did you pull it from a pack, or was it a crack out??? CONGRATSimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    HOLY CRAP! Let's see some pics.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Condrad!!!image

Was it raw or cross over?

Like Russ said, do you have any pictures?image
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is also at least a couple 1956 Type 2 PCGS PR69 DCAM. Link Without a doubt the '61 would be quite a find over the '56. We won't even talk about the 1959. That would break the bank.

I forgot to add, Welcome and will echo the chorus of the others in congratulating you on a great first post and an absolute incredible grading experience. Was this Franklin raw or a re-submittal. What ever it was..... cha ching.image
  • Options
    MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Wow! What a great first post -

I agree with everyone else - let's see some pictures!

Mark
    I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    This is hard to beat as a first post. Unbelievable find! Please let us see some pics and more details on the discovery.

Dave
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Grats!

S
  • Options
    Cha-Ching image
    The price guide on the 1959 pop 1/0 is $35K.
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. Very cool!
  • Options
    In the R&I Coins June Mid-Monthly 2008 newsletter, Rick Tomaska states that the 1959 example sold for over $50,000? The 1959 example is reportedly rarer in deep cameo and he does not state when that sale was made. I personally would prefer if price guides listed the most recent documented sale prices .
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>In the R&I Coins June Mid-Monthly 2008 newsletter, Rick Tomaska states that the 1959 example sold for over $50,000? The 1959 example is reportedly rarer in deep cameo and he does not state when that sale was made. I personally would prefer if price guides listed the most recent documented sale prices . >>

Yes, well said. I also imagine that if you did want to sell the '61 in 69DCAM, that he would be the dealer to go to.
    If not him, then I bet wondercoin would give you a very fair offer on it. That's still one heck of a score and it's like picking a winning lotto ticket.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Were the Frankies cleaned before they were submitted? They seem a little bit hazy or toned around the edges and basically not your black and white specimens.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Congrat's !!!!!

• Options
    Major score! Congrats!
  • Options
    No. They weren't.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. Was this your first post? If so what a way to start and welcome.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    First post for me. This is a great place to talk about your own area of interest with people who are knowledgable. I am just trying to imagine what it was like before the internet, to have a big find like this in any denomination-variety and not be able to share it with others. Thank you for all the grats and welcomes!
  • Options
    Did you happen to peak at the Roosies? They look a bit frosty too! image
  • Options
    Added pics
  • Options
    $$$$$
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    That coin flat out rocks!image
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    did I see this coin in R.Tomaska's newsletter a while back @ 18,000.00 $ ?
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    imagecongrats
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First post for me. This is a great place to talk about your own area of interest with people who are knowledgable. I am just trying to imagine what it was like before the internet, to have a big find like this in any denomination-variety and not be able to share it with others. Thank you for all the grats and welcomes! >>

I guess you didnt find it that great as you havent made a post since. Perhaps this was all just a marketing ploy?image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Wow! Nice Job! Beautiful looking coin! Have one on me! image
    Earlycoin
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>First post for me. This is a great place to talk about your own area of interest with people who are knowledgable. I am just trying to imagine what it was like before the internet, to have a big find like this in any denomination-variety and not be able to share it with others. Thank you for all the grats and welcomes! >>

I guess you didnt find it that great as you havent made a post since. Perhaps this was all just a marketing ploy?image >>

It DOES make it a bit suspicious...
  • Options
    CoinyCoiny Posts: 711 ✭✭
    WOW!! Impressive find and history making grade!
    Way to go!

Coiny
  • Options
    I am not sure about the one Rick Tomaska had for sale at $18K or when that was? I've been wanting to get back on for a while now and glad that the automatic notification of thread activity reminded me. Self employment has its demands.

Has anyone out there made any new discoveries in the 1950 to 1967 proof/SMS realm. Varieties included?
  • Options
    Wow! Very nice. image
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story about a great coin. Congrats on finding and making a 1961 PF69 DCAM Frankie.

Lots of forumites enjoy hunting for, finding, keeping, slabbing and/or selling 1950-1970 Cameo Proof and SMS coins. Many got started in this area by reading Mr. Tomaska's book on the subject. To read up on the subject and see some pictures of mouth wateringly beautiful coins, go to the search box, type in Cameo Proof or SMS Cameo, then click. Have fun and welcome to the forums.

Oh, by the way, your story about finding and making the pictured coin is one which should result in you receiving the esteemed "You Suck" award given out by forum members to others who get a hold of special coins like yours. It means that others are extremely jealous. My jealousy is on the rise as I type this so, .......................... "You Suck"image

Congrats again and welcome.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    yep, with respect, YOU SUCK! image
    Dan
  • Options
    Thanks again for the kudos. I without a doubt won the lottery. If other people hadn't made great finds before me, I would never have been inspired to do the same. So here's to the people before me and the ones to follow "you suck" and thank you for the inspiration.
  • Options
    Great coin. Proof Franklins are way cool.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Amazing & wonderful. Congratulations.
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ..........what happened to the coin ?
  • Options
    Congrats nice score! image
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!