Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are Sports Card Collectors as Recession Proof as it seems by in this Economy?

Or are they just dreaming that they will sell the cards at the prices they could have fetched 6-12 months ago? It seems that the same cards that never sell from the same sellers are still commanding outrageous prices that will not be realized again in the next 3-5 years. News Flash!! Sportscards are not recession proof and commanding pre 2007 prices is a tad bit rediculious at this point. Just put them away and save your time if you have no interest in selling.image

Comments

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Everything is effected by the Economy, or there lack of. Lots of cards (less than $300 cards) I was looking into buying over the last couple of years has greatly come down in price. It is funny when I see the same cards listed from certain sellers that are still selling them way too high. Cash is King.

Brian
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or are they just dreaming that they will sell the cards at the prices they could have fetched 6-12 months ago? It seems that the same cards that never sell from the same sellers are still commanding outrageous prices that will not be realized again in the next 3-5 years. News Flash!! Sportscards are not recession proof and commanding pre 2007 prices is a tad bit rediculious at this point. Just put them away and save your time if you have no interest in selling....... >>

Why do you care what they charge? If they want to incur month after month of fees, that's their business. Sounds to me like you need some of their cards.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    attention whoring is recession-proof.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>attention whoring is recession-proof. >>

Actually depends on their looks. In bad times there is a much higher amount of high quality whores. The fat and ugly ones will have to take a pay cut.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    State instituted lotteries are recession-proof...actually, they do their best during down markets.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Maybe it's just coincidence, but I had about 200 closed auctions on eBay int he last month or so. It seems that all of them are from either CA or FL or guy's named Nick. Is the economy just not effecting these people?
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>attention whoring is recession-proof. >>

Actually depends on their looks. In bad times there is a much higher amount of high quality whores. The fat and ugly ones will have to take a pay cut. >>

I think he meant that the OP is an attention whore.
  • Options
    I would like to officially change my name to Nick, with an "N"!
  • Options
    Good Morning,
    Funny thing I was just thinking the same thing myself after a Banner last week of Sales. The last month and a half have been better than the last year or so. I can attribute some of it to obvious reasons, better inventory, Offering Sales, ect. but not all of it can be because of that. Not the increases I've seen month after month, It appears to my Sales at least, the worse it gets the more my Sales go up.
    Now if only my Real job was the same story!!!!!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Now if only my Real job was the same story!!!!! >>

My real job has actually picked up the last month too. Sold a house to someone from California which goes right along with my original eBay assessment.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the old saying in a bad economy is, if you have a job it's a recession, if you don't have a job it's a depression. If you badly need money, collectibles are one of the first items to go.

I can't see collectibles in general crashing, but overall there will definitely be a decline in prices, and I believe with some smart buying, there could be some real nice bargains on ebay now and then. Unfortunately for us, the pawn shops are going to be getting the best bargains - pawn shops love recessions.
  • Options
    A recession is when your neighbor loses his job, a depression is when you lose yours. I dont see any of the items I want coming down in price just yet, though I am patiently waiting!
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I'm not gonna sell anything anytime soon. I'm lurking in the weeds for good deals, this fits my impulse buyer mentality perfectly. My business is where it usually is this time of year (just enough to keep everyone employed), January my customers get new budget $$$.
  • Options
    "State instituted lotteries are recession-proof...actually, they do their best during down markets."

In Mass and RI sales are down double digits, also at the RI slot parlors business is down significantly. Both Foxwoods and Mohegan are laying off folks as well.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Girl watching is recession proof.
  • Options

<< <i>Girl watching is recession proof. >>

Girl watching causes inflation
  • Options
    kemdawgkemdawg Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I'm a big believer that when times get tough, the essentials (food, housing, clothing) keep or increase their value, but the non-essentials (hobbies, entertainment, and "toys") take the biggest hit.

Although, card collecting isn't really a hobby anymore is it? More of a business now I guess...
    My collection: Fact #15

The most valuable card I ever had the honor of owning was a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #181 graded PSA 4. I sold it in 2007. I miss that card.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    All I know is that vintage football is still commanding big bucks..even in this rotten economy.
  • Options
    Did anyone catch the CNBC show tonight on wealth and millionaires. The new rich.

Seems like a strange programming decision in the middle of this great recession, the worst since WWII?

But checking pack prices and wax box prices. Even stuff like 92 Stadium Club series 2 basketball, or packs of 86 Topps football. They seem very stable. Your money would have been more stable in a case of 86 Topps football than in commodities or stocks in the last year.
  • Options
    Quality items are always recession proof, don't you think?

Average items, like the mass submitters usually sell, would seem the most likely victims of the economic downturn. However, it doesn't seem to have slowed any of them down.image

Robert
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    You know, the bit of the OP has become really tiresome. He's posted this on the registry forum multiple times and now he's over here. Your schtick is old, dude. If you're so worried about what the economy is or is not doing to your cards, get out of the hobby. There's a BST board for you to start listing your stuff.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    your delusional.
  • Options
    just think how bad it would be if Oil were as high as it was in June..

i feel like i got a tax rebate to spend on cards with the drop in gas.....

Peace Out
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All I know is that vintage football is still commanding big bucks..even in this rotten economy. >>

I agree,seems like the $-$100-400 range is slightly better.
    The high grade stuff in my collection needs,seem to be moving right along just fine.
    Looks like all the newer shiny,jrsy,auto's seem to be going cheap.
    My .02

J.R.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    It depends on how broad the market is for a card.

The high-end pieces haven't taken much of a hit because the people buying them in large part haven't been hit by the recession (and won't be hit).

Lower-end pieces that have broad interest haven't taken that much of a hit either because the collector base hit by the recession is knocking out a relatively small part of the demand.

Lower-end pieces that have narrow interest can be anywhere from unaffected to having their market collapse. On some thinly traded sets, a loss of 1 or 2 buyers will significantly change the demand curve.

Nick

Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.