Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 and 1973 Topps Candy Lids

I just picked up a nice 1972 Topps Candy Lid Johnny Bench for my master set to go along with my 1973 version. Can anyone supply me with information on the 1972 set. I know that it is much more rare. If I am not mistaken I don't believe the 1972 set was ever issued to the public.

Thanks,
Phil

Comments

• Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    great find phil....where you pick that one up at? i need the rose...very nice find corey
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Corey.

It was fairly expensive. I bought it for $333 on ebay. There has only been one graded example (psa 9 o/c).

This past Sunday I missed out on a 1970 Topps Candy Lids Johnny Bench psa 5 on Heritage Auctions. It was paired with a Mazerowski psa 3 and sold for $537 which I thought was a little high.
  • Options
    great card, bench is my next fav player. i picked up a raw 72 pro star promotions in nm. i hope its a 6 or 7 atleast... did you get that dayton daily news card? i would snag it for that price..
  • Options
    Corey,
    I asked for and received a scan of the Dayton Daily News Bench. I didn't like it as there was a section that appeared to be cut inside of the lines. I didn't want to take a chance on it being graded as "authentic".
  • Options
    I hope your Pro Star Bench grades well. I believe there have only been two graded with 7 being the highest.
  • Options
    hey phil, the pro star i got was the rose. only 1 ever graded and its a 6.5 that went for a ugly 266.00 last week on ebay. master set guys got in a bidding war... i hope mine pops a psa 7...can you keep your eye out for a 78 reds team cards psa 9, i need one bad.. thanks
  • Options
    Excellent pick-up on the 1972 candy lid Phil! I also saw you finally got your Bench comic too from Heritage auctions. That is a great card. Hope I can find one too someday.
    Jeff
    Johnny Bench Master Set #2
    Collecting Alan Trammell PSA 10's
  • Options
    Thanks Jeff. Nice to hear from you. Have you run across anything new to add to the master set? Each of us has done quite a bit in expanding on this set. I will definitely let you know if I ever run across another 1973 Topps Comic Bench.
  • Options
    I just got the results back from my 1972 Topps Candy Lid Johnny Bench (the first picture listed above). It came back a PSA 8. It is only the second one ever graded with the other being a PSA 9 O/C.

1 1 15558402 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS CANDY LIDS TEST ISSUE JOHNNY BENCH
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    nice job on getting a PSA 8. That is a sweet item.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Thanks Shane.

I was hoping for a PSA 7 so an 8 is a nice suprise.

Phil
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    great grade on an incredibly rare card
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup and a great grade to boot. Most of the 1972 candy lids I've seen have been OC. So that's definitely a nice centered Bench you got there.

Congrats...Donato

Here's my Nolan Ryan that is OC.
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    there was some mention of a 1972 pro star-are they rare? seems like a lot of money for a psa 6.5 for 266.00 are all the stars selling in that price range? Are they hard to find in psa 7 or higher? I collect Brooks and ironically I just picked up a second pro star last week. Thanks scott
  • Options
    Scott,

The 1972 Pro Star cards are very hard to find in top grade. In fact, PSA has only graded a grand total of 7 cards with a grade higher than PSA 7. The PSA 6.5 Rose that was mentioned earlier is the highest Rose that has been graded.

Here is a picture of my PSA 7 Bench.

• Options
    Thanks-I am going to have to dig my Brooks card out and look at the condition. Thanks Scott
  • Options
    Where do you guys think the photograph of Bench's pro star was was taken?

Do you see tose trees in the background....could be a spring training game, but those trees look like up north not Florida palm trees.

The Expos played inside and I doubt Riverfront stadium had trees next to the field.
  • Options
    I am guessing that all the pro star photos where taking in Montreal...Looks like the expos played at a "college" stadium in the early 70's before the olympic stadium was built with those trees in the background of the shot of bench on first. Pretty cool shot of Bench.
    Scott
  • Options
    The picture was taken at Jarry Park Stadium (Parc Jarry) in Montreal. The Expos played their home games there from 1969-76. They moved to Olympic Stadium in 1977, after the 1976 Summer Olympics had been played. Jarry Park Stadium was located in ... Jarry Park, thus the trees. I believe there was a public swimming pool beyond the right field fence, which was the inspiration for the swimming pool at Chase Field in Phoenix.

Randy
    Always buying George Brett Gem Mint Cards!
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The picture was taken at Jarry Park Stadium (Parc Jarry) in Montreal. The Expos played their home games there from 1969-76. They moved to Olympic Stadium in 1977, after the 1976 Summer Olympics had been played. Jarry Park Stadium was located in ... Jarry Park, thus the trees. I believe there was a public swimming pool beyond the right field fence, which was the inspiration for the swimming pool at Chase Field in Phoenix.

Randy >>

As a Pirate fan, I've heard stories about Willie Stargell bombarding that Jarry Park swimming pool with one of his fabled tape measure blasts.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    Nice info-must have been cool to play in a ballpark like that ! Real sandlot feel!
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice info-must have been cool to play in a ballpark like that ! Real sandlot feel! >>

I think many of the expansion teams from the 60s played in small ballparks like that. I guess they just used what was around. Old minor league parks mainly; before they opened their new facilities.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    When Montreal was awarded a franchise in 1968, they had no park available. The park used by the AAA Montreal Royals was deemed unusable and, other than that, there weren't many ballfields in Montreal.. So, they scouted around for a decent area, instead. The mayor liked Jarry Park because there were a couple major highways that intersected near it. So, they chose Jarry Park. There was an actual sandlot field there, which they fixed up and built 28.000-capacity Jarry Park Stadium (Parc Jarry) around it in time to start the 1969 season. I think it is still in use under a different name and is used as a tennis stadium.

Randy
    Always buying George Brett Gem Mint Cards!