Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Official Richie Allen Funny Stuff Thread

Nothing helps rip up those baselines like a good heater...

Anyone have a photo of Richie scratching his name in the outfield dirt?
"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    someone should post a photo of his Sports Illustrated cover from like '73 with the ChiSox with a tube in his mouth as well
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Zep....I knew someone would pull thru with it
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Allen was a truely unbelivable characther! Love em or hate em he did have game.
    Dick Allen (not Richie) was one of our favorites when he played for the white Sox
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    From a recent eBay auction for the photo below:

You might look at this wire photo and say, that's not Dick Allen, that's Wally Wampum. Well, it turns out that no one by the name of Wampum has ever appeared in a major league game. But there is a famous player from Wampum, Pa. and that was Dick Allen.

The controversial slugger finished his career by appearing in 54 games with the Oakland A's in 1977. The A's were known for defying convention, to put it mildly, and apparently owner Charles Finley thought it was perfectly OK for his latest big-name acquisition to sport his hometown on his uniform, perhaps to negate one of baseball's oldest trivia questions: Who wore his hometown on his uniform jersey? The answer was someone who came from the town of Seventy Six, Ks., name escapes me.

In any event, this latest and perhaps last peculiarity of Allen's career took place on June 1, 1977, with an unsuccessful takeout slide of Mariner second baseman Jose Baez.

"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know Allen was from Wampum. That makes him another of the Big Beaver Valley greats. There must be something in that Beaver County water. Big Beaver Blvd goes right by that town. Wampum is only two miles from New Beaver, 10 miles from Beaver Falls, 12 miles from the Beaver County Airport, and less than 20 miles from Big Beaver and, of course, Beaver propper.

It is great to see that Beaver was always dear to Dick.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Wally returns...

• Options
    Writing in the out field dirt...not happy about something...